Is the Mares Bolt SLS a good BCD? Does Mares make good BCDs in general?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, was looking at the Mares Bolt SLS and like it very much and is right in my price range at around $500-600... but was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to share their experience with this specific BCD or other BCD by Mares. I have read online the issues with the integrated weight pockets falling out have been fixed by now, was this really a bad issue with the Bolt?? I used a few pieces of Mares gear like the Avanti fins, mask, gloves, boots, computer and they all are fantastic quality so I would be willing to give the BCD a shot. Anyone here a big Mares user? Thanks! Safe diving

Does Mares make good BCDs in general?​

General answer: NOPE, it doesn't!!!

They are the lowest quality compared with SP, AL, etc.

I am trying to get rid of all of the Mares BC's I have in my diver school's training equipment fleet since they have proven to fall apart much sooner than other brands. Even my personal high end Mares BC is totally out of commission since the bladder is leaking from the seams and is not repairable. Other Mares BC's are also falling apart, all of them, when the SP BC's are going strong even the ones that are 15 - 20 years old. Cressi BC's are doing better than Mares which is a huge statement.

This has been my experience since I owned my own dive center in the early 90's. Mares have always had quality control issues with their BC's. Mares makes better regulators and MFS's but not BC's.

Don't know anything about that bcd.
But I will suggest, what I wish someone had told me back in the day.

Try to borrow or rent a backplate and wing, it does require a bit of tweaking to fit your body, but you might like it way more than a BCD,
its much more modular and adjustable,
And its alot nicer because you need less weight.
Just something to look into..

General answer: NOPE, it doesn't!!!

They are the lowest quality compared with SP, AL, etc.

I am trying to get rid of all of the Mares BC's I have in my diver school's training equipment fleet since they have proven to fall apart much sooner than other brands. Even my personal high end Mares BC is totally out of commission since the bladder is leaking from the seams and is not repairable. Other Mares BC's are also falling apart, all of them, when the SP BC's are going strong even the ones that are 15 - 20 years old. Cressi BC's are doing better than Mares which is a huge statement.

This has been my experience since I owned my own dive center in the early 90's. Mares have always had quality control issues with their BC's. Mares makes better regulators and MFS's but not BC's.
this is definitely good to know, im sorry that you had so many issues with the Mares BCD, that really sucks. You mentioned scuba pro, do you have any thoughts on the SP LightHawk? Thanks for your time!

Don't know anything about that bcd.
But I will suggest, what I wish someone had told me back in the day.

Try to borrow or rent a backplate and wing, it does require a bit of tweaking to fit your body, but you might like it way more than a BCD,
its much more modular and adjustable,
And its alot nicer because you need less weight.
Just something to look into..
I have considered a BP/W, not really sure about it yet. So many people say to dive them but they just never "clicked" with me yet. Thanks for the response

any thoughts on the SP LightHawk?

No, I don't have personal experience with it so far but it looks good. I have the SeaHawk 2 which I have used in around 30 dives so far and it is excellent. Light, stable, light for local and travel diving, comfortable and appears to be of high quality.

I have a Mares backplate & wing. While I had a warranty issue with the wing cover early on, they replaced it and it's been fine since. I like the inflator. Metal buttons and solid feeling.

I second the recommendation to at least try a BP/W. I wish I knew about them when I started diving.

No, I don't have personal experience with it so far but it looks good. I have the SeaHawk 2 which I have used in around 30 dives so far and it is excellent. Light, stable, light for local and travel diving, comfortable and appears to be of high quality.
sweet thanks!

I have a Mares backplate & wing. While I had a warranty issue with the wing cover early on, they replaced it and it's been fine since. I like the inflator. Metal buttons and solid feeling.

I second the recommendation to at least try a BP/W. I wish I knew about them when I started diving.
nice, glad it was covered for you and thanks ill keep thinking about the bp/w

I
So many people say to dive them but they just never "clicked" with me yet.

If you are just diving down south every now and then bcd are fine.
IMO If they at least had a crotch strap. That would solve alot of problems.

If you need lots of weight, a bp/w
It helps solve part of that problem..
But I would say, if you see a diver with double tanks and think...
I would like to do that someday,
then seriously consider a BP/W.

Seems you are fairly new to diving, whatever gets you diving and gaining experience is what you should do,

I personally bought a brand new tusa bcd. I was able to not loose to much money when I sold it... but still wish I hadn't gone the route...

Back
Top Bottom