Is the Mares Bolt SLS a good BCD? Does Mares make good BCDs in general?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SP SeaHawk 2 will do just fine for you, for warm travel and for light cold water diving. I used mine for diving in the Red Sea and here in Libya while wearing 7mm to 1mm suits and everything in between. Used AL80 to St18L and all is good and stable no issues at all.
sweet, im going to look deeper into the Seahawk 2 tonight, thanks again!

I'm curious, what do you not like about the Cressi Travelight?
its great for fitting in a tight luggage, but its lift capacity is horrible at depth and shady at the surface (It is the correct size for weight and hight) on deeper dives it makes the lift issue worse (maybe unsafe). I would not trust this BC with my life if I got left behind by a boat in the ocean, something more rugged and with extra lift would make me feel more confident and allow for more deeper dives. Its a good BC for shallow dives, but limits what I can do.

I had a Mares BC for over ten years. Never had any issues. It was rugged and dependable. I only sold it when I switched to a BP/W setup.

From my experience the Mares brand is more popular in Europe than in the US, which might lead to you getting more negative feedback here on Mares. There are several dive shops here though that stock Mares equipment and have no issues. I just think it is not as common as the other brands.
nice, im glad you did not have any issues. I never even thought about it being more of a European brand (stupid me) that is a good point and could very well contrite to some of the negative feedback. Thanks

Mares makes good quality gear. I have a Mares Dragonfly AT that is about 23 years old and is still going strong. My Mares MR 22 Abyss reg is also about 23 years old and it has never failed me or free flowed up here in the cold Great Lakes. If this one ever dies (not going to happen) I would get another Abyss. My Mares Quattro fins are about 20 years old. Most all of the people I dive with up here at home use Mares gear without any issue.

most of my diving so far is in South Florida, but I liked the idea of the back inflate Mares Bolt or similar BC for its convince and for also getting into "light" cold water diving up north here with its high lift. don't have much interest in doubles. All great points to consider, I use a Cressi travel light now but im not a fan, needs a upgrade. Thanks for the help!
I would look at the Dive Rite Hydrolite back inflate BC. HydroLite BC - Dive Rite

this is definitely good to know, im sorry that you had so many issues with the Mares BCD, that really sucks. You mentioned scuba pro, do you have any thoughts on the SP LightHawk? Thanks for your time!
I have been diving a LiteHawk for the past 6 years. It has worked well for cold, New England dives where I’m wearing a 7mm with a hood and gloves, as well as warm, Caribbean trips. While I’m switching over to bp/w, I would recommend it whole heartedly to anyone who wants a back inflate BC.

I’d be glad to give you more info if you are interested. You can even DM me if you would like.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom