Is the Mares Bolt SLS a good BCD? Does Mares make good BCDs in general?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving my mares bolt for 3 years, primarily cold water in 5mm drysuit, have done several warm water trips. It’s been a great BCD to start off with, zero issues with it and has held up great. I do wish it had a crotch strap, and will be moving to a BP/W setup so I can have something less bulky and more streamlined - picked up a VDH35# wing and just looking for best plate option while I wait for a freedom plate :)

Been diving my mares bolt for 3 years, primarily cold water in 5mm drysuit, have done several warm water trips. It’s been a great BCD to start off with, zero issues with it and has held up great. I do wish it had a crotch strap, and will be moving to a BP/W setup so I can have something less bulky and more streamlined - picked up a VDH35# wing and just looking for best plate option while I wait for a freedom plate :)

Before I switched to a BP/W (best choice) I was able to retrofit my Mares BC with a homemade crotch strap similar to the Dive Rite 1" one. I threaded it around the waist belt. Made a world of difference!

Mares makes good quality gear. I have a Mares Dragonfly AT that is about 23 years old and is still going strong. My Mares MR 22 Abyss reg is also about 23 years old and it has never failed me or free flowed up here in the cold Great Lakes. If this one ever dies (not going to happen) I would get another Abyss. My Mares Quattro fins are about 20 years old. Most all of the people I dive with up here at home use Mares gear without any issue.
nice, im glad you had a positive experience with Mares! thanks

I have been diving a LiteHawk for the past 6 years. It has worked well for cold, New England dives where I’m wearing a 7mm with a hood and gloves, as well as warm, Caribbean trips. While I’m switching over to bp/w, I would recommend it whole heartedly to anyone who wants a back inflate BC.

I’d be glad to give you more info if you are interested. You can even DM me if you would like.

Erik
good to know! thanks for the reply!

nice, thanks! good luck with the new BP/W setup!

You have to take everyones opnion here with a grain of salt. People have different preferences and the level at which people take care of their gear can also determine the duration at which a product last before needing repairs or replacement. With that being said I have used several brands of BCD. Personally I have the Mares Bolt SLS and a Mares BP/W setup as well. I have no complaints either, both are very well made products and have required zero repairs. I would suggest paying the extra and going straight to BP/W. Buy once, cry once. I started with the Bolt SLS and loved it. It felt great compaired to the full jacket style BCDs I had been using up until I purchased the Bolt. My brothers bought the BP/W and raved about it. After listening to them bragging on their setups for a year I finally broke down and tried one of theirs and it was game over, I ordered the Mares BP/W that day. I love it, almost forget its there most of the time.

You have to take everyones opnion here with a grain of salt. People have different preferences and the level at which people take care of their gear can also determine the duration at which a product last before needing repairs or replacement. With that being said I have used several brands of BCD. Personally I have the Mares Bolt SLS and a Mares BP/W setup as well. I have no complaints either, both are very well made products and have required zero repairs. I would suggest paying the extra and going straight to BP/W. Buy once, cry once. I started with the Bolt SLS and loved it. It felt great compaired to the full jacket style BCDs I had been using up until I purchased the Bolt. My brothers bought the BP/W and raved about it. After listening to them bragging on their setups for a year I finally broke down and tried one of theirs and it was game over, I ordered the Mares BP/W that day. I love it, almost forget its there most of the time.
great stuff, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom