Is the Kubi dry glove system worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ring size is another reason I much prefer the Kubis. I had a SiTech system on a previous suit. The rings were huge on me. Even the Ultima were big on me, plus I had major issues getting them locked on without help (hand strength issues again). The Kubi rings are small enough (80mm for me) to make a difference and I can lock them on without issue. I have small hands (my glove liners are size small). The thin gloves give me good dexterity for dealing with clipping my tanks on (SM) and I don’t have the issue of fingers 1” too long like I’ve had with other gloves.

I too use WaterProof Ultima's on DUI Zips and they work great. Kubi's were second on my list.

My Novi suit has Kubi gloves and they have worked well other than the first time I dove with them and couldn’t get the gloves off at the end of the dive. Since then it’s been fine and no leaks. My favorite glove system was the Diving Concepts which is now called Ultima. I still use my old DC gloves on both my backup suits and would have put it on my new suit if that had been an option. The worse gloves I ever had were Antares oval rings. They leaked/flooded most dives and were too delicate to belong in my dive kit.

Reactions: Zef
Yes, they are very good. Only glove system on the market that I know of that has different options for the hole size. Easy field changing of gloves. The few experiences I have seen with people who get them jammed connot understand that it is a cylinder fitting into another cylinder. They have to go in and out square and true. They think brute force is the answer when evenly distributed effort is all that is needed.

The only downside to Kubi/Ansell gloves is they don't come in large enough sizes for a lot of guys. The glove themselves are not designed specifically for diving, with glove lliners. They are made/sized for fitting bare hands. When the gloves are too tight, there is very little air circultation causing cold finger tips.
My hands wear XL gloves and the XXL Kubi/Ansell gloves are simply too tight when needing to wear a thicker cold water liner. These gloves are not sold in a larger size. At a few dollars a pair, I wish they were.
My solution was to attach purpose made Dry gloves, from Waterproof, to my Kubi rings. They have been perfect and allowed for some air circulation to help keep the fingertips warm. They are still thin enough to allow good dexterity.
The Kubi rings are fantastic. I have a few hundred dives on mine and still going strong with all original o-rings. I take the rings off, clean and lube them a couple times each year.
View attachment 717782
Hi,
are those gloves in the picture made by Ansell/AlphaTec?

I haven't tried the Kubi system due to the price, but have used others with varying success.
Rolock 90s
I've had these for almost a year and haven't had a single drop of water in my gloves. These are by far the best system I've used.

Waterproof Ultima
Once I learned the trick to mounting gloves onto the rings, this was a very good system. The only leaks were user error. The glove ring O-Ring dries out after a few years, making it difficult to remove the gloves after a dive. I bought a set of the new Ultima Twist rings for Merry. She loves them.

Diving Concepts ring system
The precursor to the Ultima system. The rings were smaller but I stayed mostly dry.

DUI ZipSeals
These were OK, but impossible to mount by yourself before a dive. I had to leave them permanently attached to the suit. Replacement gloves are cost-prohibitive. The other systems allow cheap gloves to be used, although I've found Showa 720s to be superior.

SiTech Antares oval rings
The absolute worst system ever. The cheap plastic tabs would break off. Even when I was able to get the gloves on before a dive, they would pop off if I reached for anything, especially the dive ladder.

I haven't tried the Kubi system due to the price, but have used others with varying success.
Rolock 90s
I've had these for almost a year and haven't had a single drop of water in my gloves. These are by far the best system I've used.

Waterproof Ultima
Once I learned the trick to mounting gloves onto the rings, this was a very good system. The only leaks were user error. The glove ring O-Ring dries out after a few years, making it difficult to remove the gloves after a dive. I bought a set of the new Ultima Twist rings for Merry. She loves them.

Diving Concepts ring system
The precursor to the Ultima system. The rings were smaller but I stayed mostly dry.

DUI ZipSeals
These were OK, but impossible to mount by yourself before a dive. I had to leave them permanently attached to the suit. Replacement gloves are cost-prohibitive. The other systems allow cheap gloves to be used, although I've found Showa 720s to be superior.

SiTech Antares oval rings
The absolute worst system ever. The cheap plastic tabs would break off. Even when I was able to get the gloves on before a dive, they would pop off if I reached for anything, especially the dive ladder.

I agree with just about everything you've said.. never used the Kubi.

I'm still on the fence about the Rolock 90's. Out of the box they are easier to mount, way easier. I "think" they need more maintenance than the Ultimas. I would add silicone maybe every 5 dives to the Ultimas just because I figured it was good. With my Rolocks so far they'll get harder and harder and then I need to wipe them down and apply a thin coat of silicone. I feel like I need to do this every 2 or 3 dives. Not sure if that's normal or what. Maybe I'm still breaking them in.

Anteras I thought would be cool to clip into the suit for wet gloves but I could never get the seal to seal.. they suck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom