Is the Florida Dive Show no more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie and Johnoly gave good explanations about The Blue Wild, and maybe I can add a little more. The show did start out as a small spearfishing charity event the first year. We are now in our 8th year, and our goal has been to diversify more each year -- and I think you will notice a big change in 2015.

These past couple years we've added speakers and seminars to cover Photography by Craig Dietrich, Presentations by Stan Waterman and Dr. Eugenie Clark, History of Freediving by Robert Croft, Careers in Scuba by Nikole Ordway, PADI Member Forum by PADI, Lobstering by Johnoly, Saltwater Aquarium Setup, Safety at Sea, US Coast Guard Stories and Advice, The Search for Pearls, several DAN Presentations by Dr. Neal Pollock, Fitness for Divers, and more. I'm always interested in new and interesting topics (non-spearing), and I would love to hear suggestions.

So far, for next February, we have a Whale Expedition presentation by Rob Torelli (films for BBC, Discovery, etc), Under the Bridge video by Diane Randolph, Recent Shipwreck Discoveries by Mike Barnette, a couple Photography/Videography Workshops, Stan Waterman is coming back, and a few more things in the works. We are also covering Kayaking and Stand up Paddleboard -- we have a new outdoor section with a Kayak Pool (by Bass Pro), and a SUP/diving pool in case anyone wants to give it a try. We have Contender Boats displaying their latest products. And we are always very proud of our Marine Art Exhibit -- I believe we may have one of the largest gatherings of famous marine artists in one place (you can see their bios on the website) -- Pascal, Carey Chen, KC Scott, Don Ray, Randall Scott, Jason Mathias, and more. As Wookie said, we will have a dedicated Travel/Resort Pavilion (non-spearing) exhibitors including: Spree, Blackbeard's, Bimini Big Game Club, Blue Water Explorer in Tonga (whale watching expeditions), UNEXSO/Grand Lucayan, and more. We had a Photo Contest year before last which was sponsored by Divers Direct/Blackbeard's/Coco View and it was a great success -- a lot of work, but a lot of fun, so we're planning to do it again. Divers Direct has already committed (with great enthusiasm) to sponsor it again for 2016 and beyond, and I predict the Photo/Video section of the Expo will keep increasing more too.

All that being said, I understand if some are turned off by the spearfishing, but I think we are providing more new and interesting activities/speakers that everyone can enjoy. By the way, I got rave reviews on Johnoly's lobster workshop last time -- he was kind of enough to share some of his top secrets. Anyway, feedback/suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

It is truly the best Dive Show on earth!! So many great people who just love to dive. Scuba, free, or both. There is a little something (or a lot) for everyone. You don't want to miss this one!!

Sounds like it will be fun. I just wanted to mention I wouldn't really say I was turned off by the spearfishing. It just isn't something I'm interested in is all. So there was just 1% or so of the show that was interesting to me.

Actually I have to admit spearfishing sounds fun, but I don't eat fish. Someday I'll get a spear and a friend to eat my victims!

An added bonus for the show is that we pretty much saw what we wanted on day1. We stayed in town for the weekend and since everyone else was at the expo we had almost the whole boat to ourselves when we went diving!

On a side note for attendees... the convention center shares the parking lot with a port authority. Once you turn down the road toward convention center parking you aren't allowed to turn around. If you have a CWL you will understand why this is important :).

Well Sheri and Waterbug1 forgot to post the link.......
So I guess I'll do it.
The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo
The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo
Sheri;
I assume the usual suspects will be exhibiting at the "Blue Wild" section at the FTL Boat Show.
But do you have a more complete listing of who will be there in the SCUBA Expo?

Chug
Will be going to the boat show with Mrs. Chug.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom