Is Suunto Zoop Novo good for scientific Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just check after getting home. I have 32 dives with it. Both times I didn't realize it until I was under, I don't think checked it just prior to splashing but I know I checked it on the boat ride to the dive site. I always check my SPG while breathing through my regulator as a check. Both times to get it working again I had to go back to setting and get it to pair up again, I tried messing with it during the dive but I don't think the problem was repairable once the dive was in progress. I was diving with 5 other divers and I didn't see anyone else on AI so don't think the pairing might have had interference.

If it has problems maintaining the pairing -- which is quite possible in a new model -- then that would be an argument for not buying an ai vyper novo at this point. They'll probably fix it in a firmware update if they can confirm/reproduce the problem... Personally I'd go for a TX1 anyway, but over here in Murka they're the same price and Oceanic transmitters are a bit cheaper than Suuntos. That may be different where OP is.

Thank you all for your answers! They were very helpful. I will go for an AI computer. I don't know if I will buy the transmitter now, but I can have this option for later.

What do you think about Scubapro Luna? I saw it and liked the big screen. Has a better algorithm than viper novo?

Here in the U.S., a Luna is not much less expensive than a Shearwater Perdix AI. I would definitely spend the extra money for a Perdix AI than to buy a ScubaPro Luna.

I have access to my department computers, but everyone is using everything and prefer to have my own equipment.
What do they use?
Why no use the same?

I would expect with experience your planning will be easier as you will have a great awareness of your dive durations for tasks and depths, and hence may not continue to get the same benefits from the AI option.

The department computers are mainly vyper air and helo2. They also have shearwaters, but are for specific dives. The only reasosn that was thinking the AI is to monitor my air consumption during the different tasks. I don't need the transmitter to watching live my tank pressure (always use my spg). Just to use the informations after and see if any of the methodology need changes.

From a diving perspective, scientific diving is primarily about task loading management. Spending extra money to get some data (air consumption during different tasks) that is irrelevant to the objective of the dive and will increase task loading seems like a bad idea. I've never had an AI computer, but I would think they don't display the current air consumption rate on the default display and would therefore require some button pushing to get to. If you have your hands full of sampling gear, or are in the middle of a survey, I don't think you'll do it once the novelty wears off.

Realistically, your air consumption probably won't change all that much based on your task. It isn't like laying out a line takes more air than counting fish or using a quadrat. Certainly doing things in a different order won't matter. You'll complete the objectives in order of importance, not what you can squeeze into a dive.

Now if you want an AI computer because you think they are cool, that is a whole different conversation. But the reasons you have given don't add up to AI being worthwhile for you.

-Chris

From a diving perspective, scientific diving is primarily about task loading management. Spending extra money to get some data (air consumption during different tasks) that is irrelevant to the objective of the dive and will increase task loading seems like a bad idea. I've never had an AI computer, but I would think they don't display the current air consumption rate on the default display and would therefore require some button pushing to get to. If you have your hands full of sampling gear, or are in the middle of a survey, I don't think you'll do it once the novelty wears off.

Having AI does not affect your task loading - unless you add realtime monitoring of your SAC to your underwater tasks, which there is no reason to do.

The Perdix AI can be configured to display SAC on the main screen, so you CAN monitor it without any button pushing or anything else other than a periodic glance, if you want to.

I got the impression that DVoul was thinking of looking at the logged AI data after the dive to analyze it. That would definitely not affect task loading during the dive.

The department computers are mainly vyper air and helo2. They also have shearwaters, but are for specific dives. The only reasosn that was thinking the AI is to monitor my air consumption during the different tasks. I don't need the transmitter to watching live my tank pressure (always use my spg). Just to use the informations after and see if any of the methodology need changes.
The HelO2 does support wireless AI if I remember correctly.
I almost bought one used for very little money, transmitter included.
Maybe you could just get a transmitter somehow and try one of the department PDCs.

The HelO2 does support wireless AI if I remember correctly.
I almost bought one used for very little money, transmitter included.
Maybe you could just get a transmitter somehow and try one of the department PDCs.
Also Vyper air has the AI function. Tomorow I will go to check an used Helo2 that fount in good price.

Back
Top Bottom