Is Suunto Zoop Novo good for scientific Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Vyper Novo it also includes a compass and the option for more than one tank.
I also have a transmitter. I have around 35 dives on it. Two dives I lost connection with the transmitter and was not able to use AI. I had check for connection on the way to the dive sight then shut off the tank until ready to splash. I still had ano spg so no problem.
My take on AI. I think it an awful expensive way to keep track of air consumption. Sure it is convenient not to have to keep track of beginning and ending pressure readings for records. It is also nice to be able to see everything on my wrist.
Most of the more experienced divers I have dove with seem to do just fine without AI.

I didn't know that only the vyper has the option for more than one tanks....probably I will go for it.
The only reason that I was thinking the AI is because I want to monitor my air consumption on the different tasks underwater. And yes, I agree that is nice to have everything in your wrist!

I have around 35 dives on it. Two dives I lost connection with the transmitter and was not able to use AI.

Interesting. 2 out of 35 is kind of a lot. What happened?

Typically if you lose connection it comes back later, and if that happens while you're not looking, you wouldn't even know. How do you lose connection to be "unable to use AI"?

(I do agree that it's expensive for what it does.)

If money is tight, consider buying used gear. I know that there are many shop owners on SB, who depend on people buying new stuff from them. Yet you should be more concerned with your finances than those of other people.
If you are really mostly diving within 20m of depth, almost any PDC will be alright.
If you want to squeeze out some extra minutes, Oceanic is the way to go.
I know a bunch of guys who still use their 20 year old Aladin Pro and they feel no need for anything newer.
Dive computers are not rocket science. They just give you more comfort and safety.

Hello bath, with an air intergrated computer you can know extactly the air consamption of each task that you do. On the next dive you can change the order of your tasks and finish your work with more air or do more tasks on the same dive. Also you can plan how many tanks you will need to have with you. In my team's dives we have different dive sites in the same day and we have to give priority to tasks with more air consamption and the most needed.
I hope that I aswerd your question.

Maybe it is easier with air integrated, I have never used an air integrated computer.

But it is also possible to write down tankpressure, time and depth in wetnotes when you start a task underwater and do the same when you finished a task underwater.

Interesting. 2 out of 35 is kind of a lot. What happened?

Typically if you lose connection it comes back later, and if that happens while you're not looking, you wouldn't even know. How do you lose connection to be "unable to use AI"?

(I do agree that it's expensive for what it does.)
Just check after getting home. I have 32 dives with it. Both times I didn't realize it until I was under, I don't think checked it just prior to splashing but I know I checked it on the boat ride to the dive site. I always check my SPG while breathing through my regulator as a check. Both times to get it working again I had to go back to setting and get it to pair up again, I tried messing with it during the dive but I don't think the problem was repairable once the dive was in progress. I was diving with 5 other divers and I didn't see anyone else on AI so don't think the pairing might have had interference.

One more thing the Vyper includes is the download cable. You are aware the transmitter is extra though, retails for around $400.

Thank you all for your answers! They were very helpful. I will go for an AI computer. I don't know if I will buy the transmitter now, but I can have this option for later.

What do you think about Scubapro Luna? I saw it and liked the big screen. Has a better algorithm than viper novo?

Usually I think if you want to save money, skipping air integration is a good tradeoff. In your case I would talk to others doing the same sort of dives and tasks and see how useful they think it will be. In a way I can imagine it is more useful for what you're talking about doing than for typical recreational dives, but I don't know. Thing is, newer divers are (and need to be) much more conscious of their air and consumption rates. Or divers doing something very new. But after awhile not only does your consumption rate tend go down, but you will probably develop a pretty intuitive feel of your air consumption rate and possibly not care about the AI that much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom