Is Suunto Zoop Novo good for scientific Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DVoul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello divers!

I have a question. I am starting on scientific diving. I want to buy a diving computer. Most of our dives will be with air and nitrox, not deeper than 20 m but for long periods. I was thinking the suunto vyper novo, but is a bit expensive for me. So I am thinking the suunto zoop novo, which doesn't have the air integrated function. I know that the most secure is to check regularly your air supply on the pressure gauge and not in the computer, but with an air integrated computer you can plan better each dive and each task that you do.
Do you think the suunto zoop novo is a good option in my case?

Thank you all and have safe dives!!

Selecting the "right" dive computer is an investment worth researching, as you will live with the decision. What now seems expensive, may indeed be very well-spent $ in the long run.

Yes, I also believe that in an investment, but I was wondering if he zoop novo will work fine in scientific dives. The only difference is the air integrated function.

I think you need to start with a few more questions.

Why do you want a dive computer?
What do you want the dive computer to tell you?
How do you think a dive computer will enhance what you are planning to do?
What do you think is a "reasonable" budget?

These are simple questions that will draw you towards your conclusion.

I would say no, but I don't think that the zoop is really good for much of anything. If you're scientific diving, you should have access to department computers or get specific discounts. If you can't swing the larger budgets, I'd go with Oceanic, primarily for the algorithm selection

I was thinking the zoop novo as my first computer. Until now I am diving with my citizen and the pressure gauge on my wing. My concern is if is a nice choice the zoop novo for start. My other choise is the Vyper novo (with double price). I know that the 2 models have the same functions (except the air integration) and I do not know if I realy need this extra function, which doubles the price.
I have access to my department computers, but everyone is using everything and prefer to have my own equipment. I asked for a discount but is not possible.

I know that the most secure is to check regularly your air supply on the pressure gauge and not in the computer, but with an air integrated computer you can plan better each dive and each task that you do.

Why can you plan better each dive and each task with an air integrated computer ?

I think that is not right.

Hello bath, with an air intergrated computer you can know extactly the air consamption of each task that you do. On the next dive you can change the order of your tasks and finish your work with more air or do more tasks on the same dive. Also you can plan how many tanks you will need to have with you. In my team's dives we have different dive sites in the same day and we have to give priority to tasks with more air consamption and the most needed.
I hope that I aswerd your question.

I DO own a Zoop Novo, but use it only as a back-up to my air-integrated console computer.

Hello bath, with an air intergrated computer you can know extactly the air consamption of each task that you do. On the next dive you can change the order of your tasks and finish your work with more air or do more tasks on the same dive.

I'm not entirely sure that follows, but if that's what you want then you would need an air-integrated computer. You'll just have to decide if that function is worth the extra cost for you.

And don't pay too much attention to "SPG is more reliable" FUD: at this point and for practical purposes, wireless air integration is just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom