Is Solo Diving Technical Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
To me it's not, it's advanced diving regardless if a redundant air supply is used. I tend to think of technical diving as some sort of overhead, whether hard or soft. Maybe that's inaccurate since PADI allows penetration within limits.

No, it is self reliant diving, which IMHO is one subset of the skills needed for technical.

I dunno.
I just do it sometimes.

Chug
This space for rent.

"Technical diving" is not a well defined and widely agreed upon concept and, therefore, can differ considerably in comprehensiveness depending on who uses the term.

For me, technical diving specialties have in common the fact that they deal with techniques designed to mitigate the risk associated with the impossibility of immediate access to atmospheric air. The training offered nowadays to qualify a person to do these dives emphasizes self reliance (as a solo diver course) but also improved basic skills (buoyancy, trim) and the use of a robust system of redundant gas supply (manifolded doubles, independent sidemount, rebreather). More often than not, the training also deals with improved cooperation among buddies / team members.

For me, then, it is incovinient to group solo diving with more commonly accepted technical diving specialties because it does not share those foundations that the other specialties (deco, wreck, cave) do.

To me it's not, it's advanced diving regardless if a redundant air supply is used. I tend to think of technical diving as some sort of overhead, whether hard or soft. Maybe that's inaccurate since PADI allows penetration within limits.

A lot of advanced diving has now become technical diving so I guess it depends if they want to include solo, Scubaboard has.

I'll keep on solo regardless.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

My cave instructor said it best. Technical diving is where you solve all problems underwater instead of going to the surface.

This definition is spot on. Technical diving is normally deco, cave, wreck, ice, all of these you cannot go to the surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I like the basis for that definition. I think it is appropriate and on target.

My cave instructor said it best. Technical diving is where you solve all problems underwater instead of going to the surface.

This definition is spot on. Technical diving is normally deco, cave, wreck, ice, all of these you cannot go to the surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Shortest answer is no.

Neither need a degree in astrophysics to pull off, but both are capable of ruining your day when Murphy shows up.

Reactions: Jax

For me, technical diving is a dive where you cannot make a direct ascent to the surface.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom