Is shore diving still viable, or a waste of time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TampaDiver68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So while last year I did only 2 dives in Venice off the shore (straight west off Alhambra rd), I was very satisfied... my girlfriend and I got about 350 teeth total. So we went back this year (yesterday - 9/6). While swimming west, whammo... almost hit my head on some new concrete blocks in the water. I figured we would just swim over them and go further west. It seemed like these things went on forever.... We managed to get past them, into a pretty desolate area. Needless to say, I spent more time navigating and watching my head then looking for teeth. But we did manage to get about 40 teeth between us. We spoke to many others, and they all had worse luck - some with none!

It seems like this artificial reef project was dumped right on where we used to find alot of teeth.

So here are my questions:
1) Is shore diving still viable, or is boating now the only way to go?
2) Should we have traveled further west? I heard there is a better bed out there (in like 24 ft), but did not know how much further from the concrete blocks it was.
3) Are there better places without all the new concrete obstacles?

On the positive side, the new reef is bringing in lots of fish.. we say a couple big flounder and a 3-4 ft wide stingray, alond with some small grouper.

Thanks!

Those blocks are limestone, not concrete. I mention that as a warning, they have sharp edges and will cut you while concrete will merely scrape you.

The new artificial reef is a blessing. Currents dig up around the blocks uncovering lots of teeth. My average take has gone up since the reef was put in place. I work the areas between the blocks. I also see types of fish I never saw off Alhambra before. Good hunting!

My son and I have done some shore diving in Venice and found a beautiful 4" meg with nice serration(among others), mammoth teeth, whale vertebrae, dugong ribs, whale bone fragments and hundreds of various sharks teeth. Yeah shore diving in Venice is still viable, in fact I have trouble getting him to do any other type of diving. We live just north of Palm Beach (great reef and wrecks) and we drive the 3 hours to Venice to hunt rocks off the beach in 3 foot vis.

My son and I have done some shore diving in Venice and found a beautiful 4" meg with nice serration(among others), mammoth teeth, whale vertebrae, dugong ribs, whale bone fragments and hundreds of various sharks teeth. Yeah shore diving in Venice is still viable, in fact I have trouble getting him to do any other type of diving. We live just north of Palm Beach (great reef and wrecks) and we drive the 3 hours to Venice to hunt rocks off the beach in 3 foot vis.

LOL, I think it's a disease and I'm not sure there is a cure. :D

No cuz that just brings more jellies lol.

shore diving is still a good way to go! I haven't found anything HUGE going in from shore, but I come up with a handful of smaller ones every time. I usually just go to the blocks about 100 yards off shore from venice ave. You'll come up with something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom