Is safe second really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, you may not be able to find a dive buddy, but you can dive without one of those also.

the K
Your ability to demonstrate that you are able to dive without one might move you up the list of people that Nemrod, Mud Diver and I (and at least several others) would be willing to buddy with.

Last edited:
Ok, I think that we are a lot closer to being on the same wave length here. I don't disparage the use of an octo, I just pointed out that it is just not the ONLY way to solve the problem of an OOA.

Unfortunatly, after talking to the local instructor/LDS owner, it seems that having one on your rig is being mandated by some boat operators. At least his story was that he was told he could not dive from the boat without one.

So much for you dive your way, and I'll dive mine when service providers start enforcing one standard of diving.

Well, the way around that one is to get your own boat. When you own it, you decide what the rules are. That's always been how it works on boats.

There are some locations where City Council members decide that anyone diving in their town needs to wear a snorkel ... or dive with a buddy ... or whatever rules make sense to them. And those folks often aren't even divers (they're listening to some insurance salesman or some such).

We've got a local shop owner who once told me that it's a FEDERAL LAW that you have to have one of those silly banner stickers on your nitrox tank ... and that the ones I have that say GEEZER GAS don't count.

The usual recourse is to take your business elsewhere.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nemrod, it's hard to have a serious discussion when you are more interested in being cute than serious. We're going in circles anyway.

If you want to talk smack about PADI, be my guest. I don't have a dog in that fight.

"Is safe second (octo) really needed for open water diving?"
No. . . Can you make a dive without one, yes, pure and simple.
However, you may not be able to find a dive buddy, but you can dive without one of those also.

Some how I have managed to find a few buddies locally here in So. Cal that are fine with no octo, and one is on her way (2months) to being a Padi instructor. I think a few people in this thread would be more than delighted to dive with someone that does not carry an octo.

There are some locations where City Council members decide that anyone diving in their town needs to wear a snorkel ... or dive with a buddy ... or whatever rules make sense to them. And those folks often aren't even divers (they're listening to some insurance salesman or some such).
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Laguna Beach use to be that way, until it was turned over by a great number of divers that wrote city council. It is not like the law kept anyone from solo diving any way. If a lifeguard "threatened us by calling the cops" most would simply reply come find me, I'm surfacing somewhere else.

Nemrod, it's hard to have a serious discussion when you are more interested in being cute than serious. We're going in circles anyway.
sounds like a personal problem to me.
Its not our issue If you cant relax and have a good fun time.

If you want to talk smack about PADI, be my guest. I don't have a dog in that fight.

sounds like a personal problem to me.
Its not our issue If you cant relax and have a good fun time.

It's hard to relax and have a good fun time when people are trying to stomp on your toes.

On the other hand, I decided about a hundred replies back that this thread was never meant to be serious.

What can I say ... I'm slow sometimes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One big point that is usually missed in most discussions is the geographic origin of the poster.....

Good point DaleC.

And "Mea Culpa" on a couple occasions for sure.

I'm one of those despicable "warm water divers", and what works here in Hawaii may not in the "cold, dark" places of the world. I have to remind myself of that when posting.

Best wishes.

Now that is taking my statements just a bit too far out of context.

I was responding to someone who was comparing military scuba training with recreational training.

Would you agree, perhaps, that a soldier's scuba training is a bit more expensive than the typical recreational scuba diver is either willing or able to pay for?

Would you suggest that casualties are NOT part of typical military operations, or planning?

I think some of you guys are ... as previously noted ... just looking for a bar fight.

What say we stick to the topic, with a bit less of the "attacking the messenger" tactics?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll make you a deal. If you stick to things you know about, I will as well. You do not know the military, and I do not know tech diving. I do not profess knowledge of tech diving, so you should keep your ideas of how the military "is" to yourself and not vent them in a public forum. I am not looking for a "bar fight", as I am not a 19 year old Private. I respect you, I've read your articles, and you have taught me (by proxy) a few things about gas management. You are a smart, experienced instructor so with all the respect in the world, please do not speak about things of which you have no genuine knowledge and then back-peddle. It's okay though, I'm sure you didn't think you would piss anyone off, and I am letting it go as of right....now.

"Boutique" courses? Wow. Way to insult 99% of the world's divers. This thread has turned into a flaming wreck.

- Iceman

I love the fact that you have a genuinely good natured sense of humor!:rofl3:

I'll make you a deal. If you stick to things you know about, I will as well. You do not know the military, and I do not know tech diving. I do not profess knowledge of tech diving, so you should keep your ideas of how the military "is" to yourself and not vent them in a public forum. I am not looking for a "bar fight", as I am not a 19 year old Private. I respect you, I've read your articles, and you have taught me (by proxy) a few things about gas management. You are a smart, experienced instructor so with all the respect in the world, please do not speak about things of which you have no genuine knowledge and then back-peddle. It's okay though, I'm sure you didn't think you would piss anyone off, and I am letting it go as of right....now.

Tell ya what ... we have a deal under one condition ... hold yourself and others in here to the same standard when y'all go off blathering about DIR and PADI when, in fact, you ... and they ... don't know what you're talking about.

If you're pissed off it's because you choose to be ... and I really ain't responsible for your anger management issues.

And if you think my articles are about tech diving you know less about diving than you think you do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Best wishes.

and to you my freind :)

One thing I love about diving is that it is a sport/pastime/activity/obsession that allows for so much expansion. I'm the kind of guy who likes to tinker and often takes apart a perfectly good wheel so I can re invent it. I would not want every diver to dive the same way or with the same gear as the SI's (life) might get boring and I would have to focus on other things like my family and career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom