Is RA worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked into staying at the Ibis but the reviews said it could be very loud. We are opting to stay at a hotel in Makassar city (Aston). Does anyone know how long it will take in the evening to get to the hotel in the city, and then return early in the morning for the super early flight? Google maps says it's half an hour, though one of my friends said it might be more like an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The roads in Makassar are not so good. If it looks like half an hour on Google based solely on distance, I would say a more like an hour once you account for the roads - and potentially up to 90 minutes if you run into traffic. For the super-early 3am flight, traffic is unlikely to be an issue unless you're travelling on a local holiday - again, Google will tell you what dates these fall on - as they're street parties, and roads can get blocked off. See if your hotel offers transfers to and from the airport - likely to be more reliable than a taxi.

I looked into staying at the Ibis but the reviews said it could be very loud. We are opting to stay at a hotel in Makassar city (Aston). Does anyone know how long it will take in the evening to get to the hotel in the city, and then return early in the morning for the super early flight? Google maps says it's half an hour, though one of my friends said it might be more like an hour.

Ive slept on both the street side and the boarding call side and yes, you do hear boarding calls for about the first 15 minutes in the terminal side rooms but they are way quieter than say the call to prayer anywhere in Makassar. Makassar traffic can be a little chaotic especially if there are fuel restrictions or something happening but I would allow at least 45mins to err on the side of safety. Ive slept well both stays at the Ibis Airport and will be staying there again.

I have had no issues in the Ibis, in fact it was so quiet I almost missed my flight! haha..

The hotel "inside" the airport though, I would avoid that

---------- Post added September 27th, 2015 at 05:19 PM ----------

Here is a recent video from Raja.. you decide if it's worth it
[video=youtube;OBKPv39-m94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKPv39-m94[/video]

I have had no issues in the Ibis, in fact it was so quiet I almost missed my flight! haha..

The hotel "inside" the airport though, I would avoid that

---------- Post added September 27th, 2015 at 05:19 PM ----------

Here is a recent video from Raja.. you decide if it's worth it
[video=youtube;OBKPv39-m94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKPv39-m94[/video]

So it's guaranteed that I will see all that, right?!? (and how much for the music-in-my-head option?) ha ha ha

Great video! Thanks for sharing (seriously). Really nice. Hope to see you in greater Bali next year, Mike.

- Bill

... for almost everything.

Is it worth the price? I don't know, how much do you price amazingness? how do you quantify in bucks the utmost pleasure of diving? is it a linear or an exponential function?
the only thing i know for sure every diver in Asia HAS to go there.

The big four is Raja Ampat, North Sulawesi, and Komodo, as well as Bali AND Alor, which makes it a big 5
knowing than the big five encompasses Raja Ampat, North Sulawesi, Komodo, as well as Bali AND Alor not forgetting Ambon, seems like a big 6...
(sounds like a "nobody expects the spanish inquisition" sketch
)

I agree, how to put a price on amazing diving. My big four are RA, Komodo, and Alor ± sites in the Banda Sea. Bali and N. Sulawesi are beautiful areas, but from my experience its a step down in fish biomass, healthy hard and soft corals, scenery, and overall experience. my two cents, charlie

That's a beautiful video Mike Veitch. I've shared it a couple of times!! So thanks! :)

Bill and snoobles, you'd be hard pressed not to see all that and more!

One site we dove on was so beautiful and colorful, I felt like crying. Another site (where the others were hanging out with reef hooks, to watch for sharks), was so pretty in and of itself that I didn't bother looking for sharks. However, I only had my pointer, not a reef hook to hold me in place. The current seemed to suddenly pick up a little bit more and away I went. Beauty in fast time as the current pushed me backwards and up and over the top. It wasn't as pretty up top on the plateau but there was a school of HUGE bumphead parrotfish up there grazing on the coral as if they were a herd of cattle in a field. Such a joy to me. The guide who'd come with me (after me?) and I managed to hold our position watching them until it was time to surface.

Last edited:
Very nicely done video.
I've been diving in Thailand and the Philippines, and seen similar variety and density of marine life in those places as well. Koh Bon, Koh Thachai and Richelieu Rock in Thailand, and Apo Island in the Philippines are quite comparable. Raja Ampat certainly looks very beautiful, but as a value proposition, is it twice as beautiful? Difficult to say, and a personal choice.

I've been diving in Thailand and the Philippines, and seen similar variety and density of marine life in those places as well. Koh Bon, Koh Thachai and Richelieu Rock in Thailand, and Apo Island in the Philippines are quite comparable.

Well having dived more than once in all the places you mention, let me doubt about that.
You would be hard pressed to see :
- Any similar fish to 3:55
- Schools of fish ou can reach at arm length like in Cape Kri or Otdima for instance 4:30/4:45

Probably it doesn't jump at you, but the fish density in Dampier straits R4 is simply not comparable to any place you mention (especially Apo which is quite tame for any fish larger than 10cm). Since you still need put a multiple on the value you should pay compared to these places, then if you take the number and the closeness of fish that would be a blackhole in your wallet.

Where have you seen anything similar in Apo???

8714836839_0f0d38f924_z.jpg

8668951524_fb765a1086_z.jpg

8739707642_de61b17709_z.jpg

8816583387_5702ccca5c_z.jpg

8720042373_25566eac45_z.jpg

That's a beautiful video Mike Veitch. I've shared it a couple of times!! So thanks! :)

Thank you!

OK! Who would like to join me on the Damai 11 in late January? I'm serious. Beautiful boat, small number of divers. Frankly, everything about my last trip left me feeling like the whole trip was a dream, a beautiful dream that sticks with you for a long whkle, after it's over.

Back
Top Bottom