Is RA worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect that someone may say "It's not twice as good as (say) Bangka. You might want to go to Bangka twice instead".

If one person said that, it might or might not make a difference. But if half the respondents who has been to both places said that, it definitely *would* make a difference.

I live near the Golden Gate bridge. Many people come from halfway across the world to see it -- I would not. But I REALLY like going over it in a bike, which I have done many times. That is a far more engaging experience than seeing it once. If that analogy makes any sense.

Someone might also say: "save your money for PNG" which is likely what we have in mind as an alternative.

In any case, I think it makes a lot of sense to ask!

- Bill

One of my fondest memories of SF was taking a morning run across the Golden Gate bridge. Anyway, if gathering opinions helps you, who am I to question it?

My take on it is that it's going to be impossible to make comparative statements of any value among the top handful of dive destinations in the world. It's surely a subjective thing once you start comparing the best with the best.

Interested in the feedback from everyone, as we have planned two trips to Raja - this December on the Arenui and next October on the Dewi Nusantara and we have never been there before - we have just heard so much about how amazing it is that we booked two trips sight unseen. We have been to Komodo, Alor, and north and south east Sulawesi - after reading this thread I'm very excited to complete the fourth item on many people's bucket list!! Everything we have heard about RA has been super positive, and we are told that we will see even more there than we have already seen! I would say the only downside about RA seems to be the time commitment and quantity of flights to get there - plus them being about US$450 round trip. Also, from looking at the flights we have booked so far, there seems to be no way to get there from Bali without spending an overnight in Manado or Makassar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

from looking at the flights we have booked so far, there seems to be no way to get there from Bali without spending an overnight in Manado or Makassar.

We will be coming from Bali ass well so if you find some flights that you like, please let me know. I think we are going to stay away from the Indonesian budget airlines, though.

- Bill

sThe Garuda flight leaves Makassar for Sorong at around 0315 (lands around 0630 - you generally need to arrive very early to meet connections to your resort or LOB unless you want to overnight in Sorong, which I don't), so get a late flight out of Bali, and hang around the airport. I've spent a lot of time in Makassar airport, and it's not a bad place to spend a layover. It's big (albeit loud), and there's a number of shops. There's a Starbucks and a few lounges (which you can pay to get access to if you don't have frequent flyer access - highly recommended if you're there for more than 3 hours). Manado airport sucks in comparison.

Now the Ibis Hotel at the airport has opened airport stays at Makassar are a lot easier to bear. If you have to overnight the Ibis is superclean and brand new and ultra modern if the check in process is a little..Indo..but Id highly recommend it. Last time coming home we had a 10 hour layover so shelled out the pittance really for the garuda lounge. Was worth it for the comfort, relative quiet, endless food and coffee and drinks.

Now the Ibis Hotel at the airport has opened airport stays at Makassar are a lot easier to bear. If you have to overnight the Ibis is superclean and brand new and ultra modern if the check in process is a little..Indo..but Id highly recommend it. Last time coming home we had a 10 hour layover so shelled out the pittance really for the garuda lounge. Was worth it for the comfort, relative quiet, endless food and coffee and drinks.

I looked into staying at the Ibis but the reviews said it could be very loud. We are opting to stay at a hotel in Makassar city (Aston). Does anyone know how long it will take in the evening to get to the hotel in the city, and then return early in the morning for the super early flight? Google maps says it's half an hour, though one of my friends said it might be more like an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how long it will take in the evening to get to the hotel in the city, and then return early in the morning for the super early flight? Google maps says it's half an hour, though one of my friends said it might be more like an hour. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If all goes well, you could probably do that drive in a half hour ... maybe. I would budget more time.

Liveboard there are not really more expensive than other regions, if you select a good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom