Is Our World Underwater show dying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13

I'm thinking about making the trip Sunday but it's about a 2 hour drive for me, I'm looking for a beach resorts and to try on as many masks as I can, if you happen to notice that the show is lacking those things could you please send me a message and then I can save half a day of driving. Thanks.

Last year Indy MPH had a ton of masks. DRIS will have some. Not sure about Scuba Emporium. The show is very tropical so you should find plenty of resorts.

The show’s online floor map seems to show only two empty/unsold booths. This smaller show is probably already half way to hugely successful by the owner’s standards before the first attendee walks in. Attendance will be the other half. The excess unused space at the old venue was almost depressing.

@JackD342

Where did you find the map, is there an exhibitor list as well?

I was on the OWUW site but couldn't find the info.

Yes, there is an exhibitors list. Very easy to find. It’s on the left side.

Hopefully the news of the death of OWU will have been greatly exaggerated :yeahbaby:

I’m at OUW now. Seems to be a lot of people here. Attended a great talk by Joan Forsberg on Chicago shipwrecks and another one by a gal from the Wisconsin Maritime History group on canallers.

Lunch now then UASC booth.

DRIS has a fair amount of gear. Indy MPH has a lot. They also brought Seac and Sealife. Scuba Emporium has very little. Had a great chat with the people at the Michigan Underwater Preserves group about my Thunder Bay trip last year and the Straits this year, especially the Cedarville.

Successful afternoon, although I trashed my knees with standing for an hour, and had to spend the rest of the afternoon sitting. Encouraged a couple of people to get certified (had a friend or spouse with them who was certified), talked someone into getting drysuit certified as she wants to dive Lake Michigan, but hates cold. Convinced another to give the lake a try. Found a probable new dive buddy - gal who had moved from California last year and doesn't have anyone to dive with. We exchanged contact info.

A fellow UASC member said he'd heard from a lot of people this was their first time attending OUW. This was the 49th show, per Joan Forsberg.

I might end up organizing a wreck survey project for UASC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom