Is Our World Underwater show dying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just checked on the OWU website and I was shocked by how little there was to this year's show. I did not see one agency have a booth or was a sponsor. There wasn't but a couple of manufacturers present either. I can remember when this show was huge and it was such a packed weekend. I met Jean-Michel Cousteau one year. It was the place to be next to DEMA. Not it seems to be just a shell of its former self. Sad.

I went last year for a little bit. Too tropical for me. I went to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival in Ann Arbor a few weeks later and enjoyed myself much more.

There are 2 OWU shows, one in Chicago and one is someplace else (Texas?)

I think that the Chicago show has gotten smaller over the years but the website below still lists the usual activities such as the workshops, film festival, exhibits, etc., but I also remember when the show was much bigger.

Our World Underwater |

I've always enjoyed the OWU show but I will not be able to attend this year because I will be traveling on business, bummer! If you do plan to attend be sure to bring your DAN card to get a discount on admission.

I have very fond memories of the Chicago show, especially since we won 2 Cayman vacations at OWU! Years ago (when Bob Soto was alive) my husband won free diving for both of us from Bob's dive op.

And several years ago, I won a free trip to the Cayman Brac Beach Resort! We loved it and have gone back to CBBR and LCBR multiple times since then.

It's funny, I think that these are the only big things that we have ever won and both were at OWU for Cayman diving! :)

Yes OWU CHICAGO is smaller and I heard OWU Dallas will not happen this year ( it sure).

I have heard through the grapevine that the organizer has had some personal issues to deal with and was behind promoting it.

I truly feel with out equipment manufacturers there is it hard to draw a croud. And with out a crowd it is hard to fill booths. Divers go to shows to check out gear and destinations. If you do not have gear their to touch and feel it is less fun for me.

OWU has always had a great focus on education and training from workshops on photography to PSI classes being held at the show.

Sad to see. Back in the day it was a great show. I attended a few times and really enjoyed the weekend. Didn't Patrick Hammer sell it to Jim Gentile or am I making that up? I may be remembering incorrectly.

Sad to see. Back in the day it was a great show. I attended a few times and really enjoyed the weekend. Didn't Patrick Hammer sell it to Jim Gentile or am I making that up? I may be remembering incorrectly.
You are correct.

I will likely be at the Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago table.

I am leaving town tomorrow for work but my husband hopes to get to OWU this weekend. I have seen billboards advertising the show on I-290/I-90 and I hope that it will be a good show. I am really sorry that I won't be able to attend this year.

If you head to OWU remember to bring your DAN card with you to get a discount on the registration!

Yes, so sad. I hope that they will bring back the good old vibes.

Yes, there has been much more advertising than last year. I ran down to DRIS last night from the NW burbs and I saw the show ads on electronic billboards on 355/55, as well.

I’m going to attend a Joan Forsberg presentation Saturday morning on Great Lakes wrecks, and then help out at the uasc table in the afternoon. Local scuba meetup dinner in the evening.

First Saturday in March, I’m off to Ann Arbor for the Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival. Went to it for the first time last year and it was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom