Is Open Circuit Trimix dying a slow death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My need for rebreather training stems from a possible project in the Mediterranean filming ancient shipwrecks. Once I open a dive op in Greece, I have some rough locations for ancient wrecks discovered by an old sponge diver that are unreported. When found, I will take video/images, build a photogrammetric model (I unfortunately missed Kees's class due to the birth of my daughter, but plan on it in the future) and then report to the Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities. I would support continued surveying/excavation, as those kind of resources don't exist with a bankrupt government.
I was commenting on that you were "ok with the OC gas bill"
If you did 5 trimix dives a year yeah ok, 100 trimix dives a year you might not

I was commenting on that you were "ok with the OC gas bill"
If you did 5 trimix dives a year yeah ok, 100 trimix dives a year you might not

Ah, gotcha. Currently doing zero dives, so then zero trimix dives as well. Given my time out of the water, first step is to get back to fundamentals before I do an OC trimix dive. That's going to be a while. As a result of this, the number of OC trimix dives will not be significant before I start rebreather training. And then I need a number of hours before CC trimix.

I recognize that OC Trimix may eventually perish in certain regions but I wouldn’t think it’s dying globally. The initial cost of a RB and the complicated nature seem enough to scare many away and so OC Trimix may stay alive by default. For me, life is complicated enough and I like the simplicity of OC twinset diving with deco bottles. Given my current state of play with training and education, OC Trimix is the next logical step for me so perhaps I’m already biased.

In another vein of thought, I have zero interest in RB diving unless somebody is paying me. I hear about the silence and so forth but I think the complicated nature of a RB and the levels of attention necessary during a dive would erode the fun for me. If I have to pay that much attention, then it’s becoming an excessive amount of work. And if I’m working, somebody needs to be paying me. I’ve done plenty of adventurous things in my career where my life and those of others requires the team’s utmost attention and confidence in our equipment. Adding this to my personal life and having to pay a lot for it just doesn’t add up. It feels like asking an opera singer to pay for karaoke.

Besides, like a few emphasized here, I think my twinset skills should be bombproof before I take on a big leap in dive method.

So, I hope OC Trimix is not dying a slow death.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom