Is nitrox "briefing" enough without certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Snakekid97

Snakekid97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I have a basic OW certificate with about a dozen OW dives. I recently moved to a coastline, but I haven't gone diving in the ocean in about a year (although I have done a couple of quarry dives since). I recently talked to a local PADI instructor/dive charter owner about easing back into things. After scheduling a date to go out on his charter, I found out they only use nitrox on all of their dives. They claim it's the better way to dive. Their website states " If you are not Nitrox certified, don’t worry, we will give you a Nitrox Briefing that lets you dive Nitrox that day...We will also put a _ Dive Computer on your wrist set for 32% so you can track your NDL."

I have read that I should have a certification for nitrox (which I don't have). My question is: would you trust a "Nitrox briefing that lets you dive Nitrox that day" or does this seem to be a questionable practice? I have no prior experience with Nitrox.

I should add, the charter is a 2-tank trip on reefs 40-60' deep over about a 3-hour period.

Thanks!

I have read that I should have a certification for nitrox (which I don't have). My question is: would you trust a "Nitrox briefing that lets you dive Nitrox that day" or does this seem to be a questionable practice? I have no prior experience with Nitrox.

I should add, the charter is a 2-tank trip on reefs 40-60' deep over about a 3-hour period.
I'm torn on this, but a little surprised that they'll offer a briefing to let you dive nitrox.

There are no additional diving skills with diving nitrox. When I took the course, there was an option to do a dive, but it's really not necessary.

Nitrox should really be included with OW as the amount of material introduced is pretty small, so could be handled at the same time.

I said that I'm surprised they offer a briefing in lieu of a Nitrox cert. Mainly because I'm surprised their insurance would allow this. Based on what you described, the dives are benign enough that you are unlikely to get in trouble due to the Nitrox. Assuming, of course, that the 60' you mentioned is the bottom depth. Most likely, the reason they are only using nitrox is to allow for shorter surface intervals if that 3 hours is from dock to dock.

If the bottom is 60' and the mix is 32, then it should be perfectly safe. But, I'd at least want to analyze the gas in the tanks first and ensure that the computer is set correctly. The first is definitely covered in the Nitrox class. The second is as well, but the class won't necessarily go into the how for all the different computers.

I'd say take the class if you can. At least then you'll know if what this op is advising is actually safe.

It looks like this is the op:

"We dive Nitrox every day on every dive. It’s a better way to dive. If you are not Nitrox certified, don’t worry, we will give you a Nitrox Briefing that lets you dive Nitrox that day. We will also put a Shearwater Peregrine Dive Computer on your wrist set for 32% so you can track your NDL. Nitrox gives you about 40% more bottom time than air. On our wrecks this is a big difference maker. It also means we have shorter surface intervals and longer second dives. If you are capable of a 60 minute dive at 60′ you can do it with us. Logging over 90 minutes of bottom time is common on our charters."

Pretty cool that you get to try out a Peregrine :) They are an xDeep dealer as well so if you haven't tried a BP/W, this might be a good way to see if you like it. Check with them first of course to see what they use for rental gear.

As others have alluded to, one of the protocols of nitrox diving is that the diver personally measures or “analyzes” the oxygen percentage of the tank he will be using.
No, the instructional guidance is that you must verify the O2 content. You are not required to perform the measurement yourself. You can watch someone else do it. Perfectly OK.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Daft question: would a trimix/CCR cert be acceptable?

Never thought about the Nitrox cert! I suppose nowadays you can't be trusted with plastic -- you'll only throw it into the ocean -- so they'd need to look you up on the diving database to see if you're qualified...
The answer is a resounding no! @Peter Guy was once denied nitrox when presenting his trimix card. He then asked for trimix, but without helium, but was still denied.

@lowwall

I don't see an issue with shortening the SI as that, along with extending dive times, are benefits of nitrox. Some people ride their NDL. At my age, I don't as age is a risk factor for DCS.

The answer is a resounding no! @Peter Guy was once denied nitrox when presenting his trimix card. He then asked for trimix, but without helium, but was still denied.
That’s kind of like asking for a coca cola but they tell you they only have cuba libre’s. So you ask for a cuba libre, hold the rum and the lime.

I'm torn on this, but a little surprised that they'll offer a briefing to let you dive nitrox.

There are no additional diving skills with diving nitrox. When I took the course, there was an option to do a dive, but it's really not necessary.

Nitrox should really be included with OW as the amount of material introduced is pretty small, so could be handled at the same time.

I said that I'm surprised they offer a briefing in lieu of a Nitrox cert. Mainly because I'm surprised their insurance would allow this. Based on what you described, the dives are benign enough that you are unlikely to get in trouble due to the Nitrox. Assuming, of course, that the 60' you mentioned is the bottom depth. Most likely, the reason they are only using nitrox is to allow for shorter surface intervals if that 3 hours is from dock to dock.

If the bottom is 60' and the mix is 32, then it should be perfectly safe. But, I'd at least want to analyze the gas in the tanks first and ensure that the computer is set correctly. The first is definitely covered in the Nitrox class. The second is as well, but the class won't necessarily go into the how for all the different computers.

I'd say take the class if you can. At least then you'll know if what this op is advising is actually safe.

Exactly!!!

I was shocked to read the OP actually especially considering that this is happening in the US, the capital of the lawsuits of the world. Incredible.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback!

To answer some questions: the reason I haven't registered to take an EAN course is (1) I wasn't expecting to "have" to use Nitrox on a charter as I only plan to do 20-60' reef dives here and (2) money. I am working on a student budget. I assumed the EAN course would run $100-200 which would mean giving up another day out diving (unless a dive comes with the class).

The bottom depth is 60' max, from my understanding. It sounds like the consensus here is that if I read some of the available free material on Nitrox, ask to verify the mixture myself, and stay within the planned dive it will be perfectly safe.

Back
Top Bottom