Is my P&S hopeless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How you ask will I get a better result than the one posted by FIX with their 28AD adapter and the 165AD-FE?? Oh dear, because I will make it so, that is how :) To be clear, since I do not have their adapter in my hands yet I cannot be 100% positive but I have been fooling with this lens now for three years and now on my fifth camera so I know a little about what it likes. It is my opinion, based on what I am seeing that the FIX 28AD adapter is holding the Inon 165AD-FE lens slightly forward of the "sweet" spot, this is based on my use of the lens and now several dry test shots and even a few wet test shots and comparing to what I see on the FIX site. The key is keeping the lens very close to the port. The 28AD adapter is not an AD adapter--it is a 28AD adapter. The 28AD adapter is not optimal for AD series lenses. Read carefully, it is my belief that I can get the lens closer to the port using my DIY adapter with the FIX 67mm adapter kit instead of their 28AD. If I am wrong I will let you now as soon as possible which may be soon, as soon as I get my adapter kit from my favorite underwater camera store!

If forced, I will machine my own entire adapter in order to use the 165AD-FE to it's fullest advantage--it must be mounted CLOSE!

Ha! I see, thanks for the explanation. I'm very interested in hearing about your results (and since there's no way I'll ever be able to machine my own adapter, I'll explore the other options if I go with the fix housing).

I'm still curious as why they can't produce the proper adapter for the FE lens, maybe it's because they'd rather sell their own lens?

I'm still curious as why they can't produce the proper adapter for the FE lens, maybe it's because they'd rather sell their own lens?

Well, maybe it is they want you to buy their lens or possibly they know something that is not completely apparent to dummy me yet :idk: or maybe they just simply don't see the need given they are already making four different adapters they hope one of those will float your/my boat. Maybe they will get around to it.

My tests show the lens needs to be positioned about 1/32 or perhaps a little more forward of the port lens on the FIX90 housing, camera zoomed to 35mm. You think, is an 1/8 of an inch a big deal :shocked2: and the answer, again from prior experiments on other cameras with this lens is that it is right when it is right and a hair more is much less so.

I pulled the port on my 570 Ikelite port and moved it back 1/32 inch, I would not have gone to the stupendous effort that took to do that if it was not necessary and it made the difference between virtually useless and perfect for the subject lens. BTW, I will never do that again. :no:

If I am wrong I am wrong, we will see. Yeah, I wish FIX would make an AD (not 28AD) adapter, please.

N

Great shots, Bob ... do you have a group of your own "default" settings that you used to get these? What mode, etc? What particularly strikes me is the excellent focus on (most of) your macro shots.

Those were taken with the Casio Exilim, which only has two settings ... Auto and Off. That's why I traded up to a better camera. It took great macro shots, but was pretty much useless for anything else.

Focus is often a function of buoyancy control ... being able to hold your position rock steady often produces the best results.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been doing some reading on the Ikelite site to see what kind of strobes they offer. I was thinking all their strobes were for SLRs because of all that talk about TTL sync, my mistake. So thank you all for putting me on the right track.

I am now torn between going for an entry level strobe like an AF-35 (maybe combined with an Pro-V8 so that I can do video too and use the V8 as a focus light when not shooting video) or go all out for something like the DS-161 that can do both and can still be useful when I finaly buy the housing for my next SLR (I'll probably upgrade the D200 someday to something like a D700). Although getting a DS-161 seems stupidly expensive compared to the camera I'm using currently.

Anybody has an opinion on those strobes? (I'm searching now for reviews put I thought I might ask)

I have the mini (not mentioned)...it's stellar...see attached. Shot on a semi-cloudy day, cozumel, Paso de Cedras drift, Canon SD550, Canon housing, Ikelite housing for my mini strobe (have focus light as well).

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 51
Point and shoot with strobes and wide angle wet lens is pretty fun, but if you really want to get great photos your best option would be to house your DSLR, get a couple good strobes and the appropriate lenses for what you want to do (wide angle or macro). This will be better quality than any P&S rig and it will be much easier to get great shots.

Since the thread got resurrected....

I finally went with an S90, fix housing, fix adapter, UWL-100 + Dome, Inon D2000 strobes. I said I didn't like macro... well I lied ; ) Spending a week in Tulamben fixed that. I still love WA though.

An SLR would probably produce better photos (especially for clown fishes which all seem to be on meth) since the lens/sensor quality can be higher and it actually shoots when you want it too (minimal shutter lag), but if I buy an SLR housing it'll be an full frame sensor camera like the D700, which I don't own yet. It's also HUGE, not so fun while spending 1 month and a half traveling SE Asia.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom