Is my 1987 Sherwood Oasis EAN36 capable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie is spot on. If it is under 40% just use it. Not sure why this is posted in a vintage forum as a 1987 Sherwood oasis is not vintage, it is not even broke in yet. Come to think of it, I am not aware that there is any vintage Sherwood equipment. Or maybe I am just not aware of any.
According to the Forum 1980 is considered Vintage. Sherwood was, and still is, a gas equipment manufacturer. When SCUBA first started in this country they provided parts to the fledgeling industry. In 1972 they began producing regulators and became Sherwood as we now perceive it.

I have a couple of Sherwood's from the '70s and a couple since and they have been very very good to me. I wouldn't think twice about using any of them with Nitrox under 40%, especially since 32% is what I usually find.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

According to the Forum 1980 is considered Vintage. Sherwood was, and still is, a gas equipment manufacturer. When SCUBA first started in this country they provided parts to the fledgeling industry. In 1972 they began producing regulators and became Sherwood as we now perceive it.

I have a couple of Sherwood's from the '70s and a couple since and they have been very very good to me. I wouldn't think twice about using any of them with Nitrox under 40%, especially since 32% is what I usually find.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I also have some older Sherwoods and I agree they are good regs. While 1980 may be considered vintage on this board it is like saying a 1972 Chevy Vega is a vintage car. Just my 2 cents worth

As others said, since the regulator is not technically being exposed to 100% O2 it will be fine for use with Nitrox. I wouldn't use it with anything over 40% but other than that there should be nothing else needed to be done.

If it's not too much trouble, the next time it's rebuilt have the diveshop use Christolube if they didnt already. Others may disagree and say the high O2 concentration would decrease the life of the o-rings and other parts but these should be replaced long before you have any problems if you're getting the regulator regularly serviced.

Oh, I've only been diving my late 1980's Sherwood Oasis (86 or 87) on nitrox (including 36%) since the late 1990s w/o modification :) Sweet reg - opps I meant to say "it is trash; send it to me for disposal" :) Seriously, a great reg.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom