Is Monterey dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my class, we covered environmental considerations on every single dive. By time I exited my class, I was comfortable planning and executing dives in Pt Lobos and the breakwater - the two sites I would recommend for any new Monterey diver.
Just one of many reasons that I find the "conventional" classes inadequate, especially for the Central and North Coasts.
I will admit that Fundies is not a class designed to teach surf entry. It will not teach how how to dive Monastery when there is big weather. But part of what you learn is to pay attention to your environment. And hopefully, part of what you realize when you pay attention to the environment you are thinking of diving in, is that some days, it is better to go somewhere else for that day.
JHey, there are days that are too big for anyone, I'm not one of those guys who pulls his 12' Dewey Weber out of storage and waits for the Tsunami, but there are many great diving days that are lost because, from what I've seen (and heard), we have all but lost the surfing bloodline amongst the instructor, instructor trainer and course director populations. I think that is a shame, because it is not so hard that it can't be learned, and taught, and it should (IMHO) be part of any course that is taught in the Monterey area.
Yeah, I sometimes throw that line out when someone starts chest thumping.

My car really ain't that fast. But it is nice to know that you can outdo me in diving Monastery in big weather, in dive counts and in fast cars. Maybe you would like to compare sizes of body parts next?
Naw ... at my age body parts don't much matter. But a word of advice, if you don't have a fast car, don't make the challenge; if haven't made the dives, listen to those who have; if you want to be able to dive Monastery more often ... learn how, it's not that hard. And, oh yes ... never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
Shrug. Maybe I need to improve my reading comprehension.
Maybe.
I appreciate that you think you are a far better instructor than all those "same old story, hand wringing, just too dangerous" instructors that they have in Monterey. Maybe you really can teach brand new divers to dive Monastery in almost any condition. Sounds boastful to me, but whatever.
Your rather missing the point. It has little to do with my quality as an instructor, which has been recognized over the years with more than a sufficient number of awards, accolades, endorsements and testimonials to have thoroughly slated my appetite in that direction, what is has to do with is most instructors underestimation of their own abilities and their students' abilities.
For me, the more prudent advice to give someone who is inquiring about diving in Monterey is... "Monastery is a nice dive site but as a new diver, you want to be selective of when you dive Monastery."
If you want prudent advice, date a prude. My advice is: "if you want to be able to dive Monterey more often than not ... find an Central coast NAUI Instructor with a number under 5000 (or so), who'll run a surf entry and exit course for you. It will be a even better day than when you took rescue, you'll enjoy it more and gain more.
Then he does understand that realistically most beginning divers would have trouble entering /exiting some of these site no matter how experienced or good the teacher was. Depending on the shoreline & how quickly weather/waters change it can become quite a physical effort.
Then I would have to ask: is the problem a congenital lack of surf skill or that something is missing from their training? The hardest thing about a surf entry is balancing to get your fins on and the hardest thing about the exit is doing a fast crawl up the steep beach.
Not that he couldn't stand up, he was turtled and couldn't get back to his stomach between sets. Heck I was setting my tanks down on the rocks at Lobos to wash them and went back to far getting turtled. I asked for a little help. 100lbs is no joke on your back.
That's what the team is for ... but that does you more harm than good in the surf line.
Hey this guy could use some surf training and it wasn't even big that day. Not everyone will master the surf. Some are destined to dive off of boats or calm gently sloping beaches.
More's the pity. Sounds like a financial solution to a skill problem.:D

Just one of many reasons that I find the "conventional" classes inadequate, especially for the Central and North Coasts.
JHey, there are days that are too big for anyone, I'm not one of those guys who pulls his 12' Dewey Weber out of storage and waits for the Tsunami, but there are many great diving days that are lost because, from what I've seen (and heard), we have all but lost the surfing bloodline amongst the instructor, instructor trainer and course director populations. I think that is a shame, because it is not so hard that it can't be learned, and taught, and it should (IMHO) be part of any course that is taught in the Monterey area.

You want to change "conventional classes", knock yourself out. However, that's a different topic for a different thread.

Naw ... at my age body parts don't much matter. But a word of advice, if you don't have a fast car, don't make the challenge; if haven't made the dives, listen to those who have; if you want to be able to dive Monastery more often ... learn how, it's not that hard. And, oh yes ... never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Inconceivable!!!!!

I've dived Monastery in a single tank, in doubles, with stage bottles and a scooter (not all of that on the same dive, of course). Same with Carmel River Beach. So what? Its not about me.

Its about the poster who is relatively new and with no experience in Monterey or Carmel. Monastery is quite diveable even by new divers on good days. On days when the surf is up, even experienced divers can get tossed. I know two guys who claimed to have spent a good 10 minutes getting rolled around in the surf after they both got knocked over. That's not fun, no matter how many awards your instructor has won.

On those days, Pt. Lobos or shore dives in Monterey are better choices. No surf mats required.

If you want prudent advice, date a prude. My advice is: "if you want to be able to dive Monterey more often than not ... find an Central coast NAUI Instructor with a number under 5000 (or so), who'll run a surf entry and exit course for you. It will be a even better day than when you took rescue, you'll enjoy it more and gain more.

The surf is rarely a concern on Monterey shore dives. During the winter, we do get big storms and occasionally, the surf gets kicked up. But those big days are pretty rare. And even then, if you are not using the "fins on and walk in sideways" technique, which is pretty much farm animal stupid in most cases, you can pretty much negotiate most of the days with surf on the Monterey side.

Surf is a concern in Monastery and CRB (both in Carmel) especially when the swell is up. On days where surf is up, it is easy enough to relocate back to Monterey or during the week, head to Pt. Lobos.

I am curious to see this "surf in" technique that you refer to in the other thread. It sounds like a hoot.

Last edited:
You want to change "conventional classes", knock yourself out. However, that's a different topic for a different thread.
Not my problem, I had the benefit of the sort of instruction that should still be available. People have to ask for it, people have to demand it, people have to know that it is possible.
Inconceivable!!!!!
What is inconceivable?
I've dived Monastery in a single tank, in doubles, with stage bottles and a scooter (not all of that on the same dive, of course). Same with Carmel River Beach. So what? Its not about me.

Its about the poster who is relatively new and with no experience in Monterey or Carmel. Monastery is quite diveable even by new divers on good days. On days when the surf is up, even experienced divers can get tossed.
I've made hundreds of entries at the middle of the beach and been tossed once. I inflated my BC and relaxed till I was spat out on the shore. No big thing, took less than a minute.
I know two guys who claimed to have spent a good 10 minutes getting rolled around in the surf after they both got knocked over. That's not fun, no matter how many awards your instructor has won.
10 Minutes? Never happened. It is amazing how time distorts when your panicked.
On those days, Pt. Lobos or shore dives in Monterey are better choices. No surf mats required.
Only better if that's where you want to go, If it is not, then it is, at best, second best.
The surf is rarely a concern on Monterey shore dives. During the winter, we do get big storms and occasionally, the surf gets kicked up. But those big days are pretty rare. And even then, if you are not using the "fins on and walk in sideways" technique, which is pretty much farm animal stupid in most cases, you can pretty much negotiate most of the days with surf on the Monterey side.

Surf is a concern in Monastery and CRB (both in Carmel) especially when the swell is up. On days where surf is up, it is easy enough to relocate back to Monterey or during the week, head to Pt. Lobos.

I am curious to see this "surf in" technique that you refer to in the other thread. It sounds like a hoot.
It is fun.

Its a special place to dive but carries its own risks. There are entry points that are much safer than the beach but if the waves are roiling in hard...don't even bother..move along and save your dive for a better day! Hit me up anytime and we can go!

P.S. See you in a few weeks on the AWS trip! -Matt

Back
Top Bottom