Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, if you're buying that much stuff from a local dive shop and they aren't cutting you a killer deal, you should probably look for another dive shop. Lots of dive shops can meet or beat online prices, especially when you start putting a lot of things together into a complete package

When my wife and I got certified 22 years ago, our instructor was into ScubaPro, so that's what we bought at the end of our OW class - ScubaPro's high end regulator and BCs. She's relatively small and her BC never really fit her right. She's a vacation diver, eventually went through a couple of BCs, now won't dive anything except a backplate with DiveRite Transplate harness, because of comfort, fit and ease of diving. Before you buy the HYDROS PRO, you should definitely dive it with the exposure protection you're planning on diving regularly to make sure it fits you right and dives well

I still have my original ScubaPro jacket BC. I only use it in the pool now. It's horrible for open water diving compared to what I dive with these days and I don't care what chlorine will do to it. It's basically indestructible.

The dive shop I used to DM for had a lot of problems with ScubaPro wings on their backplate setups. Check reliability from actual owners before you find you need support from a platinum dealer. If you're on vacation in someplace tropical and remote, buying from a platinum dealer won't do much to solve your problem in the middle of nowhere when you're supposed to be enjoying yourself instead of worrying about dive gear problems

You have to be careful with the ScubaPro free parts for life program. I kept it up for as long as we had our ScubaPro regulators. If you miss one service, you're on your own. It only covers parts, which are relatively inexpensive compared to the labor cost for regulator service. We replaced our original ScubaPro regulators with Atomic ones, which have a longer service interval (2 years) than what we were used to (1 year), so end up spending less on service now than with the free program. The two guys who designed the ScubaPro regulators left to start Atomic, and do everything better without all the corporate bs from ScubaPro's parent company. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in how Atomic regulators breathe compared to ScubaPro, although the Atomic SS1 does breathe better than the Air-2 (we had Air-2s before and have Atomic SS-1s now)

Mixing gear isn't a problem - any regulator works fine with any BC with any dive computer with any integrated octo/inflator. If you're looking at spending $3K, you should definitely get what works best for you instead of trying to stay within the confines of a single manufacturer's offerings. After looking around you might think ScubaPro is best for you, but at least you won't be second guessing after the purchase you should have gotten something else

It's your money, buy what you want. Is 3K steep? Probably, but for some people dropping 3K on gear is an afterthought where other people may have a hard time coming up with $500. I don't think any one company makes the best of everything that fits everyone so my kit is hodge podge of SP/Atomic/Hollis/Aqualung/Tusa/Whites/BARE/Oxycheq/Random custom pieces/etc. Originally I went with a bunch of Scubapro stuff, but as time has gone on the only things I kept were the regs and the computer, and the computer will probably be on the marketplace in the near future.
With that said, a lot of the gear you would be buying is probably in your LDS rental fleet and some shops may let you rent gear and credit the cost of it towards a purchase of new gear if you like it.

First of all, if you're buying that much stuff from a local dive shop and they aren't cutting you a killer deal, you should probably look for another dive shop. Lots of dive shops can meet or beat online prices, especially when you start putting a lot of things together into a complete package

When my wife and I got certified 22 years ago, our instructor was into ScubaPro, so that's what we bought at the end of our OW class - ScubaPro's high end regulator and BCs. She's relatively small and her BC never really fit her right. She's a vacation diver, eventually went through a couple of BCs, now won't dive anything except a backplate with DiveRite Transplate harness, because of comfort, fit and ease of diving. Before you buy the HYDROS PRO, you should definitely dive it with the exposure protection you're planning on diving regularly to make sure it fits you right and dives well

That might not be so easy with a p!atinum scubapro dealer. That rating just means that the do not carry any other major brands so they are limited to a 10% discount from MSRP. When a dealer can offer a package of mixed brands, the distributor can not claim he is discounting his brand beyond their restricted prices. I would get a price from leisure proband then see what local shops can offer. But you do risk being blackballed by your local dealers.

Please, don't let this happen to you.

Ha, no worries, worse things could happen to a guy or gal. Like having matching TUSA!

I think, even though it is not Scubaboard cool to have matching gear, I will continue to use my SP Everflex suit, my SP Frameless mask, my four decades old SP Jets, my 30yo SP Shotgun Snorkel and SP Dagger knife from 1974 and my uber cool 0-500 feet SP analog depth gauge and SP R109 with Mark V type regulator set and matching B&G SP SPG. Even if I am not with the cool kids and will not even feel bad about it. Not even if I buy a SP Equator BC to complete the set since that SP wing I had from 1976 went TU a decade ago or so. :)

Brand clash, not sure there is a color wheel for that. :wink:

N

Ha, no worries, worse things could happen to a guy or gal. Like having matching TUSA!

I think, even though it is not Scubaboard cool to have matching gear, I will continue to use my SP Everflex suit, my SP Frameless mask, my four decades old SP Jets, my 30yo SP Shotgun Snorkel and SP Dagger knife from 1974 and my uber cool 0-500 feet SP analog depth gauge and SP R109 with Mark V type regulator set and matching B&G SP SPG. Even if I am not with the cool kids and will not even feel bad about it. Not even if I buy a SP Equator BC to complete the set since that SP wing I had from 1976 went TU a decade ago or so. :)

Brand clash, not sure there is a color wheel for that. :wink:

N

Do you complete that ensemble with a bend-o-matic?

Do you complete that ensemble with a bend-o-matic?

No, no, from 74 until circa 78 I worked off and on for a SP shop. It was expected we were to wear the uniform, nothing new there. But, I was a Navy Tables guy then and I still basically am. I saw a couple and heard of many more being bent with the things, especially spear diving the rigs off Louisiana. My wife has a second cousin who is unfortunately paralyzed waist down from an incident out there and a Bend-O-Matic involved and repetitive deep dives for fish. (Yeah, down south we count cousins out a ways, lol).

No, I knew better then, I took one apart that came into the shop broken and once I figured out how it worked decided that in fact, it did not.

N

N

Sounds pretty cool; I was referring to the newer, more garish stuff.

Sounds pretty cool; I was referring to the newer, more garish stuff.

I know you were, I was just messing with you. Garish-ness is a Millennial thing and I guess that is the target audience?

N

I know you were, I was just messing with you. Garish-ness is a Millennial thing and I guess that is the target audience?
I'm sure it is the target audience. They're coming of age, getting jobs, and presumably taking classes and buying gear. Companies want to keep selling gear, so they're going to have to make stuff that the customers like. Scubapro still sells a hogarthian harness, a deluxe harness, sidemount harness, and everything in between. This new thing fills a gap they wanted to cover, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom