Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet if you took all the labels off, and tried out different brands of each component, you would not end up with a brand-matched set of gear. I am also in the BP/W camp, but would also suggest a compromise in a Dive Rite Trans-Pack. It gives you most of the modular advantages of a BP/W but might be a little easier to travel with, and can be set up with integrated dump weights if you like. Getting a streamlined set-up is really what you are after.

Take a hard look at the advantages of a sealed diaphragm regulator before you commit to the Mk25. I'm sure it will serve you well, but there are some advantages to having an environmentally sealed 1st stage.

I have actually encountered one issue with a ScubaPro BC that I own. It has a small leak in the inflator-to-bladder fitting. And since ScubaPro has their own proprietary fittings, I cannot get the parts from the shop I use, or online. I am not a big fan of the nearest SP dealer, so that has this particular BC out of service until I get around to tracking down a friendly SP person who will sell me the $3 part for less than $100. My point is.. If you go the SP route, then make sure you stay on good terms with your LDS/SP dealer. If they turn out to be jerks... then your on your own getting service. All of my other (5) BCs us the same type inflators and adapters, so I can walk into almost any shop and get replacements. (and I have).

for recreational diving hunterpac>travelpac>transpac. Similar harness with each, but the transpac is way too expensive if you are buying it new. The Hunterpac is the best compromise on the market now if you want a more minimalist rig, but want a soft plate

If it is the gear you want, then go for it. If you want the ScubaPro package, then that is what consumer choice is all about. There is nothing wrong with the gear you have decided to purchase...for you. A lot of good suggestions and personal choices have been mentioned, but in the end it really is all about what YOU want to spend YOUR money on.

Mixing brands is fine. As far as overpaying for scubapro gear, I think it's unlikely. Scubapro is engaged in a price-fixing scheme where they require all dealers to sell for a particular price. They do allow a 10% discount - which I hope you're being offered. I've never seen an authorized scubapro dealer charge more (or less) than the authorized price. The only exceptions are "last year's models" and used equipment.

You can get new scubapro equipment from not authorized dealers much cheaper. They buy equipment priced lower for other countries, import the equipment themselves and sell it at a lower price. The equipment is still manufactured by scubapro and of the same quality. You lose out on the warranty and "parts for life" but save money up front. Personally I've found parts for life to be of limited value for the reason I gave you in your other thread.

This post brings in the topic of DIY service. Something you should eventually understand and make a decision about what level you are capable of. There are various levels of "awareness".

This was my basic point: On all my other BCs, repairing or replacing a n inflator hose elbow fitting is as basic of a DIY repair as you can imagine. On a ScubaPro BC, it is not. Its a hard to find oddball part, and is a finicky with a swivel and pull dump prone to leakage. Whether you are prone to DIY or not, this is a design looking for an opportunity to fail. (just my opinion)

I have regulators from Scubapro, Aqualung and Apeks. And sometimes first stages are mixed with other brand second stages. My masks are from Aqualung AND 1 bought in China for less than 20 dollar with myopia lenses of excellent quality.
Backuplights: Brinyte, Odepro, Divenology. All different brands that EXACTLY make the same product, just rebranded. Original manufacturer is Brinyte.

My divestuff must fit me. A brand I don't mind.

I would not recommend mixing 1st and 2nd stages from different manufacturers, unless you know recommended Intermediate pressures, and make sure they are all going to play nice together. I know the thread is not about Poseidon, but they have been referenced a couple times, and Jetstream 2nds should not be put on a 1st stage without a OPV in place. (for example)

One time I rented an aqualung to dive with and as I tried to breath ( on the surface AND in the water) It started making honking noises as I breathed and it was difficult to suck air in. . . .

I think this has been addressed in other replies, but I just wanted to emphasize that the "honking noise" is pretty common, and lots of brands are susceptible to it, especially above water. It's not dangerous. It may just mean the exhaust valve is due for replacing. Unlike rental gear, if you own your gear, you will obviously keep it serviced. Shouldn't be a concern.

See, for example:

What makes a regulator "honk"?

Honking Regulator

Honking Regulator

Yes!
Every year or 2 I buy the cheapest of the highest rated regs from Leisure Pro or similar.When I get to 500 to 800 dives,I make them back-ups or give them away.

I look for CE and EN250 ratings to start and breathing performance scores easily available on the net.

I'd rather buy new often than have to rebuild an expensive reg every year.

I long ago passed the point where my ego dictated my gear selection,I am strictly function over bling.

I had ScubaPro in the past but got tired of shelling out an inordinate amount of money for gear that didn't perform any better and in some cases worse.

Disclaimer:I dive 300-400 dives a year from 50' to 180' mostly and usually working either spearfishing,lobstering or fossiling.I need a reg that is comfortable and breathes well at all depths and exertion levels.

Other gear is a 500 to 1000 lumen LED light--stiff full foot long fins---1 clear frame and one black frame mask---lightest,most streamlined BC or BP available---3-5 mil wetsuit and hood as I'm often in the water 2+ hours total a day---cheap gloves from hardware store.Brands vary as available and acceptable.

If you think buying a matching set of gear from Scubapro from a local shop is the way to go, go for it! Many people do this and there's nothing wrong with it. Scubapro is very good gear.
The only thing is you're going to pay a healthy premium for premium service, free parts for life, and going through an authorized dealer. If you don't care what it costs and have a lot of disposable income for the convenience of dealing with a full service retail shop and for the uniform look there's nothing wrong with that. Many people do this because they have better things to do than waste time obsessing over gear and trying to shave ever nickel off their purchases. It takes time to research and look for deals. There is a learning curve to begin to understand he whole complicated world of scuba gear both new and used. Some people like to skip all this and just go straight to a shop that will take care of all this. They also don't want to run all over town or buy from three different internet dealers and a handfull of retail places, they just want to dive.
Others make it a hobby to look for deals, service their own gear, understand how the inside or dark underbelly of the scuba industry works, etc. and they base their purchase decisions based on price deals and particular gear characteristics, not related to matching all components with the same brand. They don't care what they look like as long as the gear works well.
You have to decide which way works best for you and how much your money means to you and where the trade off is.

You might have seen that all the instructors and DMs at your shop are all wearing full sets of scubapro gear. If they are, there is almost always a contract that the dive shop signed that gives the store an extra discount or something. My local LDS has that deal with Aqualung, and for anyone who works for the shop to dive a piece of gear that is not aqualung and similar to something that an aqualung company makes requires permission of the regional sales manager.

I am pretty sure that every instructor who works for a dive shop has some sort of understanding about using the gear that the dive shop sells, and I am sure that every one of them gets a discount on such purchases. Some shops go well beyond that, though.

Just before the shop where I first worked decided to switch agencies, they had an on-site week-long workshop conducted by the President and owner of the agency to which they soon switched. I attended it. It was all about how to sell equipment. One of his key points is that all instructors had to understand that they were primarily there to sell equipment. One aspect of that was requiring them to own and use their "instructor uniform" whenever they were in contact with customers. He likened it to the uniform worn by employees at fast food restaurants. The shop was to determine which specific pieces of equipment they wanted customers to buy the most, and they would require their instructors to purchase (at a good discount) and use those specific items. They were to tell their students that they selected those items for their personal use because as instructors, they knew what the best equipment was and that is what they wanted to use. With the exception of the wet suit, I would not have purchased and used a single item that the shop eventually required instructors to purchase, but I left the shop before I had to buy that gear and lie to my students about having purchased it of my own free will. (BTW, the shop sold all the gear I really did own and use, but it was not the gear they wanted the students to buy most, the ones that provided the best profit margins.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom