Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. I only worry about color-coordination.
That red hood in your profile pic stands out nicely against your black gear :wink:

That red hood in your profile pic stands out nicely against your black gear :wink:
It does, doesn't it? I'm kinda proud of that little color accent :)

With 7 pages of responses what I am typing has probably been said already. But here goes,

SP regulators are expensive to keep up, regular service is not cheap. Also, the Air2 are junk, you will be better served with a standard octo. Service cost is something to consider.

As to the BCD, I know you have made up your mind but I will say a BP/Wing should not be discounted. Comfort out of the water should not be confused with comfort in the water. And I have been using a type of BP/Wing since 1976, so I have a few dives on that style.

Also, the Air2 are junk, you will be better served with a standard octo.
Well that's just like your opinion, man. I love my air2. I've practiced with it a number of times. It breathes well at 100', only slightly harder cracking than my s600 second stage. It's about 2 years old, no problems so far. One less hose coming off my first stage is a nice bonus. I got one for my wife as well. I'd use it for any dive where I would go single tank backmount.

Kelvemvor, you're a lucky man, but I have seen too many Air2's not function or function poorly/leaking than working perfectly. I have also rebuilt them and watched others rebuild them. They are the typical "jack of all trades…." dive gear.

Second, I would not want to be coming up with an OOA diver, dealing with that person, venting air from my wing and trying to breath on the AIR2 all at the same time. Even in a perfect world.

Now let’s look at cost, $245 for an AIR2, while any good octopus (even Scubapro) is half the price and you get the power inflator on your wing/jacket for FREE! I keep an extra power inflator with me in my save-a-dive kit, $30 (new), if my inflator goes bad, quick switch between dives. AIR2 (inflator portion) goes bad or leaks, what now? Not to mention the non-standard LP hose for the AIR2. IMHO, AIR2’s violate my K.I.S.S. rule for dive equipment.

Anyway, glad you like yours, too many negatives for me.

Make that two lucky men - no issues so far... I am sure others could chime in too... :)

Now let’s look at cost, $245 for an AIR2, while any good octopus (even Scubapro) is half the price and you get the power inflator on your wing/jacket for FREE! I keep an extra power inflator with me in my save-a-dive kit, $30 (new), if my inflator goes bad, quick switch between dives. AIR2 (inflator portion) goes bad or leaks, what now? Not to mention the non-standard LP hose for the AIR2. IMHO, AIR2’s violate my K.I.S.S. rule for dive equipment.

Prior to getting the air2 I was using another s600 for my octo. Primarily because many people on SB recommended an identically performing second stage as your octo. The s600 has an msrp of $420 (I didn't pay that) so I thought it was a bargain. My diverite wing has a pull dump so dumping while breathing from the air2 is something I've practiced and it's not particularly difficult. I have had two power inflator failures in the two years prior to buying the air2. They're cheap to replace, but I don't think that makes them any safer unless you just replace them during maintenance.

I have been planning on purchasing my full setup for 2 years now and am ready to buy. Many people are saying that i am overpaying though.
this is what I want to buy: All scuba pro gear= mk25/a700 , The new hydros pro bcd that came out with air2, and the galileo luna. The total is almost 3000$
Th reason I was going to stick to scuba pro is because they have lots of platinum dealers and are well established. Their gear is also all handmade and assembled in italy. Sport Diver magazine and scuba lab mention scuba pro always. SO they sound like they have excellent quality.
I am also very interested in the free parts for life program (you have to buy the full setup to get it).

Some people are tellling me I could save money by mixing gear or going to websites. To be honest I don't trust leisure pro because they aren't a certified dealer for any of the stuff they sell.

I think that if I mix scuba pro with other brands I could run into issues that scuba pro won't be willing to solve.

Are you sure you're not Beaverdivers in disguise? Because your whole post sounds like some SP salesman brainwashed you. Please don't take any personal offense, I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person in the real world.

It's your money, spend it as you like, but the Air2 and a jacket BC are very poor choices IMO. If you're sincerely interested in my reasoning, you can search for threads about them in which I (along with practically everyone else on this board) have expressed an opinion about them.

Prior to getting the air2 I was using another s600 for my octo. Primarily because many people on SB recommended an identically performing second stage as your octo. The s600 has an msrp of $420 (I didn't pay that) so I thought it was a bargain. My diverite wing has a pull dump so dumping while breathing from the air2 is something I've practiced and it's not particularly difficult. I have had two power inflator failures in the two years prior to buying the air2. They're cheap to replace, but I don't think that makes them any safer unless you just replace them during maintenance.

Is the "air2" for you or your buddy. I really don't understand the "system."

Back
Top Bottom