Is Kona Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Wife an I will be heading back to Maui for our 2nd annual winter vacation in January, and after reading a few articles on Kona diving I am considering a little Island hopping. We loved everything about Maui, but was a little disapointed in the diving and would like to see what other islands are all about. Only concern is will Kona diving be worth the effort - also what is the best way to get from Maui to the Big Island?

Mahalo

I've dove both and I'm on the fence which I prefer, maybe Kona by a bit. Going to be on the Kona Aggressor for a week soon so we'll see if that changes my opinion. What specifically was it that disappointed you about Maui diving? It will make it easier for someone to say if you'd like Kona any better. But I think it's worth visiting the Big Island anyway to see the volcano and other sights there, it's much different than Maui.

I was in a way also disappointed by diving in Hawaii, as I missed the corals and color. But at the same time I've had more dives there that I remember individually compared to a trip to the Carribean where they often all run together after awhile. Usually because they had unique scenery, or there were whales, or many (sometimes frisky :11:) sharks, or lots of huge turtles, or mantas, or various smaller creatures I'd never seen.

Diving in Kona is worth it.
Read this thread (if you havn't already).
For me, the diving there is world class. Mantas, Turtles and Dolphins and while the coral is more colorful in the Carribean, there is significantly more undersea life in Hawaii. The topside also is fantastic. Nice people, good service and volcanos!

Just fly directly to Kona and dive there, don't waste dive time traveling island to island.

Dave

Teamcasa:
Diving in Kona is worth it.
Read this thread (if you havn't already).
For me, the diving there is world class. Mantas, Turtles and Dolphins and while the coral is more colorful in the Carribean, there is significantly more undersea life in Hawaii. The topside also is fantastic. Nice people, good service and volcanos!

Just fly directly to Kona and dive there, don't waste dive time traveling island to island.

Dave
I heartily agree. Hawaii (Kona in particular) has spectacular critters of all sizes. The coral is nice in the Caribbean, but I was amazed at the sparseness of fish compared to Hawaii.

Been to Maui 3 times, Kona 10. Would take the Big Island over Maui anytime.

I've always heard good things about Kona and I'm going to on the Kona Aggressor soon too (a couple of weeks from now) with my son. It will be the first time diving there for both of us.

The Maui part of the trip is already paid for, but I am sold on Kona - cannot wait for the night Manta Dive.

Is the Superferry still up and running?

Superferry isn't going to the Big Island until 2009 (at least.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom