Is Jamaica really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Antonio might be nice, but it's a long drive on winding 2 lane roads from Montego Bay, which is where most of the afordable US flights go into.

I mean we are talking 4-5 hour drive on rough roads.

that's why most people don't visit there like the do the other areas.

(that and all the "resort package deals" by the vacation operators are set up for Ocho rios, Montego bay and Negril.)

the Jamaican government doesn't invest in it's infrastructure of roads to keep it's economic gravy of tourist dollars streaming in. Even when they do work on roads, it take 5 years to pave one. The road to Negril was a dirt road for several years while they were rebuilding it for example.

Jamaica has enough problems without mis-information being put out there. The airline fares to Kingston International Airport (KIN) are the same and competitive with those going to Montego Bay. From Kingston it is a two hour nice drive to Port Antonio. Thanks to the Europeon Union and other donors that caused a wonderful highway to be built not only from Kingston to Porti, but to all the major cities. A lot of the things one saw many years ago are gone and there is an upgrade in what is to offer. The "resort package deals" are exactly that; do you want to go to a plastic vacation setting that is behind fences and controlled what you do all day long or do you want to see the real Jamaica and the real Jamaican people? Go on a real vacation; come to Port Antonio and become involved with the people, culture, and magic. If one doesn't want to do that, perhaps Jamaica is not the place for them. Go somewhere else. Cheers. Steve the Jamerican.

That's odd, just 2 years ago our shuttle was driving on dirt road sections of "highway" onthe way to Dunn's river. I saw plenty of Jamiaca outside of wall and fences. What I saw was rampant poverty. I saw people who looked at us like hungry dogs looking at steak meal. I saw cheap, tourist junk for sale at every corner, and sellers who refused to take "no" for an answer. I probably would have gone into thier shops if they hadn't run me away at the door. I saw people trying to sell me drugs.

It was all really a shame becuase the land is so beautiful.

We have just returned from Jamaica, and I was very surprised with the diving...

I cannot comment on the country itself, as it has changed a lot in the 20 yrs since I 'saw' it last. This time was strictly a relaxing vacation...a surprise 40th birthday gift from my DH! So, I was just happy to have water be water and be able to do a back roll...

Were we ever surprised!
It has been a while since I have seen something new on a week-long trip, yet here we were seeing something new each dive, and maybe up to 3 fish/creatures per dive.
It was not difficult diving by any stretch, and the DM's were helpful to everyone, never had their hand out, and once they realized we were OK on our own, let us be first in and last out to poke around with the camera.. It was actually nice to NOT be with a bunch of 'cowboy divers' on a 'dive vacation'... gear storage and marching to the boat kitted-up was a bit tiring, but the diving more than made up for it....
Unfortunately we saw lots of Lionfish...exciting, but sad.
We saw Balloonfish, juvenile octopus, reef squid, 5' southern Stingray, Goldentail Eels, Sharptail Eels, Juvinile Spotted Morays, blue Trumpetfish, Diamond Blennys, 3 kinds of squirrelfish-incl Longspine and Longjaw, a Jacknife Fish, many different Sea cucumbers, Cottonwick, SunshineFish, High Hat, Spotted Drums - Juvinile, intermediate and adult, and lesser Electric Rays. all identified by the Reef Fish book and personal Photos I took. There are a few 'creatures' still unidentified but we are working on naming them all.

We stayed at Breezes, Runaway Bay, and had a great time, just diving and relaxing.
used the Onsite dive shop, no problems except some leaky o-rings...They loved doing Night Dives, and we did 3 in the week. They were fantastic!
First dive of the day went out '8:45-ish' and depending on whether or not they had an OW class, there might be one at 10:30-ish, and if theres enough of you, they'll make a trip out at 1:00-ish.
This is NOT hardcore diving, eg.- 3-4+/day...it was a relaxing week and we dove when we felt like it, which turned out to be a lot more than I initially expected! I wanted to find more things!! and we were never disappointed... I'm used to the hardcore Dive Trip, where you breathe more through your regs when the suns up than you without, and this was a surprisingly nice change!

No expectations led to an amazing week. Sooo glad we went...And, yes, now I'm a year older.... :wink:

Last edited:
Glad to hear another endorsement for Jamaica, Mon!

I am sure that a lot can be said about the country and its economic issues. Go to anywhere else in the Third World, and tell me it is any different. And maybe we are biased, having been married there in 2003, and going back for our fifth anniversary in 2008, and planning to be right back there for number 10 in 2013.

Sure, we could pick other places to dive, and we do. Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Belize, Cozumel, Yucatan mainland, all in the last five years, to name a few; but Jamaica just seems to keep beckoning us back. Maybe it is the romance, but maybe, just maybe, it is the improvements we have seen in the five years between our two dive experiences, and the expectation that it will just keep getting better.

And the land experiences have been special, as well. The first trip, our bravest off-resort trip was to Rick's (plus a quick daytrip by boat into beautiful downtown Negril). This past trip, it was YS Falls, by private vehicle, from Negril through some very beautiful countryside (along with some lesser areas).

Before you totally discount this vacation destination, do your research. As I said, we are going back, in 2013, and then again every five years until we can't make it any longer.

Cheers, and pass me another Red Stripe!

Oh boy, here we go again. Another thread for all those unrealistic Jamaica haters to bash the country once again. I honestly don't know what country they've been to, but I seriously wonder if many of the people who go on so negatively about it have even been there!

Good to see the realistic remarks though. Here's mine...
I've been to MoBay and Negril. The diving in MoBay wasn't so great, at least where we went not far off from the resort. There is a lot of fishing in that area so just not a lot of fish life. Negril was quite a bit better. Plus it was super easy, relaxing diving that made for a nice addition to a resort trip. No, not the best diving in the world, but I still prefer Jamaica to ice cold murky water any day.
As for all this gross over exaggeration about the crime... it's uneducated talk. Yes, there's crime, but the stats will show you that it is in Kingston. Tourists in resorts are not being attacked and killed by savages like some of these posts suggest. Seriously, some of these posts are so grossly untrue it's ridiculous, and almost laughable in a sad sort of way.
Interesting about the cruise ship comment. The worst reviews I have ever read come from people on cruise ships who stop there. LOTS of them, but that's just the worst of the worst case scenarios. You get some of the most obnoxious, pretenious people coming off those ships (no, not all, but many), looking down at the locals, mixed with probably the worst of the Jamaicans swarming in trying to make a few bucks. But face it, what port doesn't try to take advantage of cruisers with that I'm here for a day and want to do it all and buy it all and see it all... for nothing... attitude. (but in fact they pay a lot more. haha)
We left our resort in MoBay many times and walked the Hip Strip and beyond to town, and through local markets. Yes, we had people trying to sell us drugs or souvenirs. A simple "no thanks" was all it took. I was actually surprised how much less pushy people were than in other popular tourist countries (like Mexico, for example). We even had a Jamaican guy apologize for bothering us. He asked. We said no. What's the big deal? Yes, many Jamaicans are poor, (not all. The whole country is not like an African village!) but they're proud and they love their country. Show them, and their beautiful country some respect (they are big on respect!) A smile too will go a long way. Don't scowl and turn you head like they're some kind of trash! (I've seen it!) They're people like you and me.
Our second trip to Negril we did spend more time on the resort. We were at Couples Swept Away, which is so amazing who'd ever want to leave. It's on a public beach so Jamaican's occasionally came by (and I mean occasionally, not like the steady harrassment of some places). Less annoying the the North American kids who would pass through our adult resort beach whining and crying because they don't get everything they want. We did walk the beach, even a short way at night. Always cautious, like anywhere. Like home. No problem, mon.
We met some of the friendliest, nicest people you ever want to meet in Jamaica. We were sad to say good bye and got lots of big hugs. Sure, they aren't all that way, but if there's a place on earth where every person is perfect and there is no crime, I'd like to hear about it!!

So to the op... go with an open mind. Be cautious and smart of course, but enjoy your diving and time on the beach and any sites you see. Talk to the people and get to know them and the "real" Jamaica.

Interesting about the cruise ship comment. The worst reviews I have ever read come from people on cruise ships who stop there. LOTS of them, but that's just the worst of the worst case scenarios. You get some of the most obnoxious, pretenious people coming off those ships (no, not all, but many), looking down at the locals, mixed with probably the worst of the Jamaicans swarming in trying to make a few bucks. But face it, what port doesn't try to take advantage of cruisers with that I'm here for a day and want to do it all and buy it all and see it all... for nothing... attitude. (but in fact they pay a lot more. haha)

Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, T&C, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Marten, St. Kitts, Tortola and all the rest are quite all quite bit less threatening than Jamaica.

All have locals trying to sell stuff, but Jamaica is the only place I've been where "No, thank-you" has absolutely no effect.

It's wonderful that you like Jamaica, but don't go blaming the tourists when the information talk about the island on the ship includes a warning to stay in groups and don't leave the main road or go into any back rooms, no matter who offers what.

Jamaica is the only island that manages to get a warning like that.

Terry

Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, T&C, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Marten, St. Kitts, Tortola and all the rest are quite all quite bit less threatening than Jamaica.

All have locals trying to sell stuff, but Jamaica is the only place I've been where "No, thank-you" has absolutely no effect.

It's wonderful that you like Jamaica, but don't go blaming the tourists when the information talk about the island on the ship includes a warning to stay in groups and don't leave the main road or go into any back rooms, no matter who offers what.

Jamaica is the only island that manages to get a warning like that.

Terry

I'd like to respectfully disagree, on at least two accounts:

1. Having visited Cozumel for the past twenty-five years, including a period of time where I maintained two households, one here, one there; I have found the attitude of vendors toward tourists to be increasingly aggressive, bordering on not just obnoxious, but sometimes down right rude and malicious, to the point of name calling and insults. Having walked through similar vendor areas in Jamaica, I came to appreciate the courtesy extended back to a similarly courteously delivered "No, Thank You". Never were my wife and I insulted, or had disparaging remarks made about my manhood, livelihood, or marital status (all of which have happened in Cozumel, on the square, or in immediate proximity of the square).

2. I have heard it first hand (although I have to admit I have never been on a cruise ship, nor do I intend to any time soon), from friends returning from cruises that included Cozumel as a port of call, that they were instructed where the "safe" areas were, and how far back from the main street they should limit themselves to. These inquiries were in response to their knowing that I owned a house in a residential neighborhood, far back from the main streets, and whether I felt safe at night staying there, or whether I was ever worried about the house being vandalized while I was away.

I do have to agree with you on Aruba, St. Kitts, Belize, and add Bermuda and Barbados (although I'm not sure I totally agree on the Bahamas), as being places where I have felt the safest in non-tourist areas.

One of my students just returned from there and she loved it.

Jeff

I haven't been to Jamaica since college, almost 30 years ago, but I can't believe the diving is getting better. It sucked in 1980. Unless your standard is a lake or a quarry somewhere--in that case diving in Jamaica is great. But for the same trouble and expense of flying to Jamaica there are a lot of other (better) options in the States or the Caribbean, so those should be the basis for comparison.

You have a couple of islands in the US that have just as bad a reputation when it comes to rape, robbery, and harassment. They are called Manhattan and Key West.
NYC is the safest large city in the United States, and Manhattan is the safest part you're likely to visit. You'd really have to work at it to get into trouble there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom