Is Jamaica really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Two of my best friends are getting married and are having a destination wedding in Jamaica at the Ocho Rios (Sandals) resort.

I figure 3 days wasn't enough, so I extended to 5 with the intention of doing some diving and relaxing. Curious what to expect in terms of diving, I did a search on Ocho and what I got back was that an inland rock quarry would be more exciting and safer. What i get from the threads is that as soon as I set foot on the island I'm going to be raped and robbed.

I know that bad news travels faster than good news, but seriously - my parents had their honeymoon in Jamaica in the 1960's and the story hadn't changed. I basically don't have a choice of where I'm staying so changing locales isn't an option, but I seriously need a positive review of this place before I cancel. I'm really apprehensive right now of spending $2000 and finding out that I'm spending my vacation in a dump where everyone is surly, rude and is looking to rob you at every turn.

I've been to Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Negril

I was told the diving in Jamaica sucked.....

well the diving in Negril was actually quite pleasant. just not as much fish life as in protected areas such as the FL Keys. but pretty good diving with 100' vis and good coral. definately better than a quarry. I'd dive there again.

Didn't dive in Ocho Rios because the water was pretty murky and we were only there 3 days. I've never really heard anything great about Ocho Rios diving anyway.

As for "getting robbed", if you say in the mainstream tourist areas they are pretty safe. don't venture out on your own at night in dark areas.... If you stay on the "resort tours" you will have no worries.

Dunn River falls is the big tourist attraction in Ocho Rios. It was fun, but not sure if I'd do it again. just beware of the exit point you have to walk through what has become a "flea market" of vendors trying to seperate you from your money for junk they are selling. I found the best way was to not make eye contact with them and say 'no thanks' and keep walking. they will try to make you stop and see their 'crap', by getting you into a discussion about some item. just say no and walk on. they will then turn their concentration on someone that is eaiser prey to sway.

No problem mon, :cool2: at Sandals you will find smiling staff, courteous people, good food, top notch accommodations and very good all around fun. No reason to leave the resort, for five to seven days there is plenty enough to do there. Stay away from the Dunns river falls excursion, not worth the trouble.

Divin at Sandals is all included. You will get two dives every day to a depth of about 80 feet on the first one and to about 40 feet on the second. Marine life is not as abundant as some other islands because of overfishing but good enough for a short stay plus it does not cost any extra. I have seen turtles, nurse sharks, dolphins, rays and many species of small fishes.

We would not have spent more than 70 nights at Sandals in Jamaica if it would have been like what you have read.

Please remember to give us an update when you get back, if you choose to go there.

Good diving, stay safe.

Jamaica is like prison, just make sure to kick someone's butt publicly the first day and you'll be fine.

I stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril two years ago... Sandals sounds/looks like a similar deal. It was a nice vacation, but a little expensive. One negative is that their rental equipment was in poor condition -- I would bring my own gear or rent a reg/BC at my LDS.

There are certainly mixed reviews on Ocho Rios diving. I recommend reading up more on SB and also tripadvisor.

Good luck :)

We've been to Couples Negril twice, once in 2003 for our wedding and honeymoon, and again in 2008 for our five year anniversary. The first time, we dove with the on-site op, and it was okay. We have our own gear, so that wasn't a problem. Diving was lowest common denominator, and at an all-inclusive resort, your boat mates are going to be all over the map. On weekdays, you dive the morning tank at around 9, and then the afternoon tank at around 1 or so, which can make for a painful luncheon experience as everyone around you is enjoying their free beers with their free burgers. On Saturdays, it is a two-tanker, with a real surface interval on the dive boat.

When we went back, we dove with an off-site dive op, and it was much more like normal (two tanker, with on-boat SI). Must say we enjoyed this arrangement much better, as we could get back the resort in time for lunch, and well, you know . . .

As for the diving, what a difference five years made. Where the diving was "okay" in 2003, you had to really search for marine life, and when you found it, it was small. Plus, the reefs looked a little bland. Fast forward five years, and you would have thought we were diving an entirely different island. According to our dive op, the government has instituted some fishing constraints in the area, and the reefs showed it well. More fish, some turtles (saw none in 2003), and the reefs looked healthier, as if they were being groomed (which, obviously, with more fish varieties, they).

Can't say anything about other dive sites on the rest of the island, but we are already planning our 2013 ten year anniversary trip back to the Negril area.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update on Couples Negril. I dove there back in 2001 and the fish were there, but not as many as other islands.

I'm sure the wife will wanting to be headed back there sometime soon. so thanks for the update/report.

It is sad you can hear those comments about Jamaica and some of the responses you got back from your question. You have a couple of islands in the US that have just as bad a reputation when it comes to rape, robbery, and harassment. They are called Manhattan and Key West. I have lived, as in day in and day out, in Kingston and Port Antonio for twenty years. I can honestly say I have never been robbed or even felt threatened. As long as you keep your senses about you and a proper attitude, you will love Jamaica and Jamaica will love you. As far as diving, I have operated a dive business around Port Antonio for twelve years, it is my wife's who has run it for thirty five years. The diving is beautiful and the corals, walls, and trenches are fantastic. It is true there are few big fish, but aside from that the beauty is there. Check out our website and our youtube promo video at Lady G'Diver, Scuba diving PADI facility, Port Antonio Jamaica.

The only wrong thing you are doing is not coming the physically most beautiful side of the Island, Port Antonio, the secret jewel of Jamaica and indeed the Caribbean.

A transplanted Jamerican. Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom