Is Jamaica really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been to Jamaica since college, almost 30 years ago, but I can't believe the diving is getting better. It sucked in 1980. Unless your standard is a lake or a quarry somewhere--in that case diving in Jamaica is great. But for the same trouble and expense of flying to Jamaica there are a lot of other (better) options in the States or the Caribbean, so those should be the basis for comparison.

NYC is the safest large city in the United States, and Manhattan is the safest part you're likely to visit. You'd really have to work at it to get into trouble there.

As you so clearly point out, your impression is three decades old. My impressions are based on trips in 2003 and 2008, where we saw a measurable improvement between the two in reef health, both animal and vegetable.

And I used to work for a company whose headquarters were on State Street, just across from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, and you couldn't get me back there on a bet (and that was less than ten years ago, and I can't believe its gotten any better!).

People who come to this Board are looking for current information, not dated impressions.

People who come here are looking for discussion. And yes, the reason I stated that it had been 30 years since my visit was so people can judge my opinion accordingly. Nevertheless, if Jamaica's reefs are getting better, they are the only ones in the world that are. I see from your profile that you have been "all over." How do Jamaica's reefs compare, in your opinion, to Belize's? What vegetation did you see on the reef?

As far as your opinion of Manhattan, I am not surprised that you found it not to your liking. At the risk of generalizing, the NASCAR set doesn't seem to. Notwithstanding your impression, the fact is that Manhattan is an extremely safe, low crime place. That is not disputable, and a quick google search will get you the statistics. Perhaps your judgment of coral reefs is more discerning than your judgment of cities.

As far as your opinion of Manhattan, I am not surprised that you found it not to your liking. At the risk of generalizing, the NASCAR set doesn't seem to.

What a disgusting comment. Glad to see you finally let your true colors show. :shakehead:

Apparently folks from the south or midwest aren't capable of forming informed intelligent opinion? Ass.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Montego Bay. After the first 24 hours I was ready to go home; I think that there was someone that pasted a target on my back and the sign read SUCKER. It seemed to wash off quickly and when I started to explore the island I found the people warm and friendly (but I'm sure that not everyone would agree). In-fact while driving on the north road to see "the White Witch of Rose Hall" I thought I passed my turn and pulled into a driveway of a run-down home. An elderly couple were sitting on the porch with ear-to-ear smiles, so I parked the car and walked over to ask for directions. They insisted that I sit with them and drink a glass of lemonade and later asked me to stay for lunch. I didn't wear out my welcome and left, but it gave me a different perspective of the people there.

Diving wasn't very good (the reef hasn't been protected), but it had some nice drop-offs. "The Point" drop-off starts at about 60 feet and goes to about 200 ft where it flattens out a bit and then goes straight down into the blackness (I'm told to 3000 ft). A great dive if you like deep drop-offs.

In any regard, I'm sure you will make the most of your trip. Safe diving!

What a disgusting comment. Glad to see you finally let your true colors show. :shakehead:

Apparently folks from the south or midwest aren't capable of forming informed intelligent opinion? Ass.
Who said anything about the south or the midwest? My family is from the midwest. I have a farm in Michigan. You may not know this--you being from the midwest and all--but NYC is known more for its museums than its stock-car racing. His profile says he's a big NASCAR fan:

Interests
Collect diecast model cars, watch Nascar, run
When he's in NYC, he's probably the only one. Maybe that's why he doesn't like Manhattan; you'll have to ask him. If you find that disgusting so be it. I'm sorry you couldn't be more civil about it. :shakehead:

By the way, I found the Jamaicans to be quite friendly when I was there, and I had a splendid time, except for the diving. We took in a Yellowman concert, dived off of the cliffs near Rick's in Negril, and hit some bars in Montego Bay. But that was 30 years ago.

Last edited:
I've been to Jamaica three times in the past year, the most recent two weeks ago. The diving is not outstanding, but I've enjoyed it and seen enough interesting critters and swim thrus to keep going. As for the country, I've never had a problem with the Jamaican people. My experience is that if you look and act like a tourist, you'll be treated like a tourist. If you look and act like a victim, you'll become a victim. I treat the Jamaican people with courtesy and respect and find that they usually reciprocate.

The biggest trick to visiting any of the islands in the Caribbean is to quit acting like a rush rush American drive thru customer. Relax, get on "island time" and enjoy. Slowwwwww down. Maybe even stop and talk to some of the locals. You'll be surprised at how much distance a smile, handshake, or hug can get you.

Posted via Mobile Device

Two of my best friends are getting married and are having a destination wedding in Jamaica at the Ocho Rios (Sandals) resort.

I figure 3 days wasn't enough, so I extended to 5 with the intention of doing some diving and relaxing. Curious what to expect in terms of diving, I did a search on Ocho and what I got back was that an inland rock quarry would be more exciting and safer.

People who come here are looking for discussion. And yes, the reason I stated that it had been 30 years since my visit was so people can judge my opinion accordingly. Nevertheless, if Jamaica's reefs are getting better, they are the only ones in the world that are. I see from your profile that you have been "all over." How do Jamaica's reefs compare, in your opinion, to Belize's? What vegetation did you see on the reef?

As far as your opinion of Manhattan, I am not surprised that you found it not to your liking. At the risk of generalizing, the NASCAR set doesn't seem to. Notwithstanding your impression, the fact is that Manhattan is an extremely safe, low crime place. That is not disputable, and a quick google search will get you the statistics. Perhaps your judgment of coral reefs is more discerning than your judgment of cities.

First, the OP asked about Jamaica, and clearly indicated that they were more or less in a captive environment, and had no other choices, so I have limited my comments on diving to what I found in two recent trips to Jamaica.

Second, I apologize if my interests outside of Scuba diving offend you, and that you are so narrow minded to assume that someone who has in interest in auto racing (sorry, again, but I did that as an active participant for over 20 years prior to my interest in diving; and it kind of stuck with me in my narrow, southern mind). The Board profile requested other interests, and I guess, in my desire to be honest, I missed the instruction that auto racing is contra-indicative to the ability to converse intelligently about diving.

And finally, this narrow southern mind has acquired two degrees of higher education, which I would initially assume give me some ability to reason, but since they are both from the same institution in the south, I guess they are not worth the paper they are printed on, and clearly make me unprepared for the intense rhetorical combat you have commenced.

Sorry, but I just placed you on my Ignore list. And, yes, I do feel better now.

Cheers!

And finally, this narrow southern mind has acquired two degrees of higher education, which I would initially assume give me some ability to reason, but since they are both from the same institution in the south, I guess they are not worth the paper they are printed on, and clearly make me unprepared for the intense rhetorical combat you have commenced.
You can put the thesaurus down--I believe you went to college. I never questioned your intelligence or education, just your judgment on the fairly narrow questions of the quality of diving in Jamaica and the safety of Manhattan.
Sorry, but I just placed you on my Ignore list. And, yes, I do feel better now.

Cheers!
Don't apologize, I feel better now too. Now if fire diver would do the same, I'd appreciate it--it seems that both of you are easily offended, and that is never my intent.

Last edited:
I too am looking into a trip to Jamaica next spring. From what I have seen the main resort areas are Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Negril and Kingston. If you had to rate these areas for things like best diving, most laid back atmosphere, nightlife, things to do, etc. How would it come out?
So far from what I can figure out it seems Negril is the most laidback and either Ocho Rios or Kingston would be the place for excitement.
Am I correct?
Oh, and please feel free to rate them yourselves.

***** Mod Comment *****

Different people bring away different perceptions of any destination, because they bring with them different expectations, viewpoints, and preconceived outlooks on life when they arrive.

As Jedi (the OP) has not seen fit to revisit their thread since mid-August, I will assume their initial inquiry has satisfactorily been answered.

As we have descended to calling one another names and exchanging insults, I will assume this thread has just about run its course.

On the off-chance that other worthwhile content may be added, I will not close this thread at this time - however, I encourage all participants to disagree with one another in a respectful manner or risk having to find other forums to visit for short periods of time.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Doc

***** /Mod Comment *****

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom