DIR- GUE Is it worth taking Fundamentals this late in the game?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE divers I met often said that Fundamentals was the best and the hardest class they ever took. It's so worthwhile.
While I haven't taken T1, I heard it was even better.

While I haven't taken T1, I heard it was even better.
It depends on the person. For me fundies was a hard class but after cave diving almost 10 years I didn’t really have a rough time. T1 as a cave diver who never does ow deco was very rough. Those blue water ascents and timing are not easy when you’re used to laying on a rock. I will admit my team did not pass. We got up to experience dives but the instructor felt we were better off using the last days for a little more training then we come back to do the experience dives. It’s a class I have absolutely no shame in not passing firs tgo around cause that s-it was hard

The objective skills in Fundamentals like trim, control, formation, protocol etc are excellent, but can be had under most other agencies too. Ask a top notch instructor to be extra strict on you, and add in several more dives to get there. There you go! At GUE pricings, I think there is room for that under TDI etc?

GUE does well by not passing people who didn't master things or stay current, including the instructors. Other agencies are still trying to catch up.

Just a little unfortunate that so much other very branded and opinionated baggage comes along on a GUE course though. There's only the GUE Way if you want to dive safely and competently, unwelcome to open thinking on "other ways" etc...

The objective skills in Fundamentals like trim, control, formation, protocol etc are excellent, but can be had under most other agencies too. Ask a top notch instructor to be extra strict on you, and add in several more dives to get there. There you go! At GUE pricings, I think there is room for that under TDI etc?

GUE does well by not passing people who didn't master things or stay current, including the instructors. Other agencies are still trying to catch up.

Just a little unfortunate that so much other very branded and opinionated baggage comes along on a GUE course though. There's only the GUE Way if you want to dive safely and competently, unwelcome to open thinking on "other ways" etc...
We all have our personal line somewhere on what’s safe or not.

For a lot of us, that line is at or very close to the GUE way of doing things.

Sorry boucha if I don’t think whatever nonsense method you’ve got is jUsT aS gOoD.

We all have our personal line somewhere on what’s safe or not.

For a lot of us, that line is at or very close to the GUE way of doing things.

Sorry boucha if I don’t think whatever nonsense method you’ve got is jUsT aS gOoD.
Absolutely. There is way too much sh!tshow diving going on. People getting themselves killed, ruining shared diving locations, wrecks, caves etc.

Any diver going by GUE is MUCH less likely to be contributing to that problem.

BUT the premise that the GUE Way is the only way to dive safely and properly is complete and utter BS.

Absolutely. There is way too much sh!tshow diving going on. People getting themselves killed, ruining shared diving locations, wrecks, caves etc.

Any diver going by GUE is MUCH less likely to be contributing to that problem.

BUT the premise that the GUE Way is the only way to dive safely and properly is complete and utter BS.
Who said it’s the only way?

It’s a way, and it’s the individual divers choice to accept other ways. Sometimes that hurts peoples feefees but again, sorry boucha.

I've been accused of being anti dir gue or whatever but that's the accusers
I just have to be solo, and I just seem to be unable to do courses, that is it.

but, if I want to learn anything it's straight to gue, books video, gear, ideas

and if I were ever to do a course I could not drag myself to go mainstream
as they are just somewhat completely lacking in any serious verve or ideals

It's almost never too late to learn but learning the least is not learning when you also have access to the most

Who said it’s the only way?

It’s a way, and it’s the individual divers choice to accept other ways. Sometimes that hurts peoples feefees but again, sorry boucha.
Idk that sounds great, it's just not the vibe I was getting from GUE.

Like when I try to explain things as simple as why and where an 80% nitrox actually works in certain deco plans--with actual data on stop depths and runtimes. Instead of them thinking about it at all, it's just this canned unthinking response of "GUE uses 100% only, so I pity you, you must be wrong"

There is a long list of additional things like this, that reflect a closed minded, unthinking, limited, inflexible, and frankly quite unjustifiably arrogant culture among GUE indoctrinees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom