Is it worth hauling a steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Love LP Steel Tanks because they are full at 2400psi, and you can overfill them which gives you more (for ex: a LP 121 cu ft overfilled to 2650, has 131 cu ft of Air), ..........

I believe LP tanks are marketed at their "plus fill" rating. Your 121 is a 121 cf at 2640 psi, 109 cf at 2400psi.

You cave dive with LPs, but don't understand how they're actually rated for capacity?

I Love LP Steel Tanks because they are full at 2400psi, and you can overfill them which gives you more (for ex: a LP 121 cu ft overfilled to 2650, has 131 cu ft of Air), for the most part i dive with Double LP 108's in Caves, and either Double LP 121's in OW or Double AL 80's depending on the dive site/depth etc... either way Steel tanks are best because you can take lead off your belt, they are not positivley Bouyant at the end of a dive, and they can be overfilled squeezing more air into a smaller tank as supposed to carrying a larger more bulkier tank....

I used to haul my HP120s and my 36# weight belt wherever I went. Now I have an neutral buoyancy Al tank that I do the same with. I dive DIN and prefer to have my full kit with me when I dive. Of course if I have to fly to get there, I rent.

I've never been a fan of LP tanks (for the type of diving I do, your mileage may vary) and didn't even know they made a 121 that could have a plus rating! Learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom