Is it worth getting into snokeling in New England?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

learn2turn

Reaction score
# of dives
Although I always wanted to scuba, it's not the right time in my life to pick up another expensive sport, 6yo kid to save for college, house to pay off and a 401k to pump up before I'm too burnt to do this computer stuff every day. Also, my kid's too young and I don't think my wife, although a trooper about learning to ski, has the right mind set for that type of sport.

I do love water and the ocean and was wondering if it would be worth getting snorkelling stuff next summer. At least I could play for a few years although I probably could only get to the ocean a few times a year. I live about an 1:20 from the southshore MA and the same from the Newport area of RI. So, questions...

Is it really worth snorkelling in New England (MA/RI coast)? Where?

Is it ever warm enough to do without a wet suit? At least in July and August?
(I have no problem playing in the surf in RI in mid summer. I also have an old farmer john from my windsurfering days that might fit if I laid off the beers and BBQ for a couple months)

Is there any place in MA/RI where it would be fun to snorkel while my kid plays on the beach and my wife hangs out and relaxes? If it were just me, I'd probably never go.

My kid is starting swim okay for a 6yo; he can hold his breath and jump into a 5' pool and fetch four rings at once off the bottom; do you think he might enjoy snorkelling in NE in a couple more years when he's a strong enough swimmer or would that bore a kid?

-Ken (just been lurking on this board for a week or so)

Snorkeling isn't like aruba around here but I'm sure you realize that. I've found that most people who snorkel in this area do so for a reason (spearfishing, freediving, etc.) If that's something your into then rock on there is some great spearfishing in NE and you can pretty much freedive anywhere the water is deep. Honestly your best bet would probably be to buy a cheap snorkel set and try it out. If you're in the newport area there are some great places for the family where the kids can play, wife can relax, and you can snorkel such as brenton reef, price neck / green bridge area, and king's beach. Like I said however, as far as I know there's not too many die hard snorkelers out there but a bunch of people that use snorkeling as a means to do other activities. Try it out and see what you think. I'm still a newbie tho and I'm sure more people will have some better information. Good luck.

Of course it's worth doing if you like to snorkel. In the Cape Anne area I'd recommend the shallows along the rocks at Lane' Cove, along the left or right rock slopes at Plum Cove, or any other shallow rocky shoreline. In RI, out along the shallows at Beavertail Light would be fantastic on a calm day. This time of year you'll even start seeing some tropical fish.
I would recommend a full wet suit. either 3mm or 5mm, depending on your cold tolerance. You can rent one to try out at any local dive shop.

Go for it

Al

If you get a good mask, snorkle, and a set of decent fins, there's no reason you can't enjoy snorkling here. As far as sites that would be good to go to with the family, you might try Burke's Beach in Marshfield, MA. It's right near Green Harbor, and there's a breakwall that makes for a nice snorkle. I often bring some gear myself when I go with my wife and her friends, and I've seen large schools of stripers, several tautog, and of course the usual assortment of crabs, lobsters, and invertebrates. Max depth is about 20' by my reckoning.

Even in the late summer, it can be chilly below about 5', but you're usually near the surface when snorkeling, so you can concievably stay out for quite a while. On my last trip there in mid-July, I was out for a swim that lasted about 50 minutes with no wetsuit. No problem.

Having grown up on the beach in So. Calif. I had low level feeling of "a fish out of water" when I moved to Springfield, MA (50? miles from saltwater). When I moved to Beverly on the North Shore a block from the ocean, I felt much better. However, the first time I jumped into the water I screamed! Cold! Cold! Cold! Ok, it was early spring it would warm up in the summer. Summer came. Cold! Cold! Cold! However, my mind was at ease since I was so close to the ocean.

I moved back to Calif. and waited 20 years to get certified, I was distracted by other things in my life at the time. I've been snorkelling all of my life, here in Calif. and Hawaii mostly but I can now say I missed an opportunity when I lived in MA. I was distracted by other things in my life at the time.

Recently, I have rediscovered the bottom of the bay where I grew up. The visibility is <3 feet but there are still interesting things to see and find. This is particulaly true for kids! Take a look at the following short flick:
http://www.signal-innova.com/viewfile/Octo/Octopus.html

So, my advice is, go out now and buy the masks, fins, & snorkels for you and the rest of the family and head down to the beach this weekend! Oh, you might want to take that old wetsuit because the water in MA is Cold! Cold! Cold! Your kid/s probably won't notice it after the first few minutes!

-Mark-

Thanx so far for the replies.

On the cold, cold, cold, subject, last summer we were anchored on my buddies boat about 75-100yrds off a beach in Casco Bay, ME. On a dare, me and my buddy's wife, who is a very strong ocean swimmer, dove off the boat and swam to the shore. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We warmed up a bit and then swam back. When we got to the ladder, we actually just hung out in the water for a while as it was comforable by then. I have no idea what the temp was.

You can have some great adventures skin-diving in New England. In 2004 before We stepped up to scuba I logged 91 dives and had a great time.

Buy good stuff and it will transition to scuba should you decide to take the plunge. If nothing else it lets you pahse in the investment while enjoying the stuff.

Lakes and ponds can be warm and intersting and coastal shallows can be comfortable bright and interesting. The week we did 11 skin dives in and around Acadia National park was incredible.

We, (wife & I) started with 5mm suits, added chicken vests and went from there.

In Maine freshwater is enjoyable from early July though August. The ocean up here is limiting but I had gone 20-30 minutes in earlier years before getting good gear. Personal tolerance is a biggie here.

My youngest daughter picked it real well when she was 9 years old. Piking down, the whole deal. She lost interest in hangng with dad but hopefully she will rediscover the sport at some point. While it lasted it was fun to share.

If you want more motivation read this.

Pete

Forget the snorkeling idea and start diving. Stop whining about why you can't dive. The majority of divers are in the exact same boat as you. Kids to support, short of money and in debt, spend all day working staring at a computer screen, and a wife that does not dive.

Just get away from the computer long enough to go to your local dive shop and sign up for a dive class and get certified and start diving.

One of my biggest regrets is not starting my dive career earlier. I wish I had started diving 20 years earlier. There is nothing I can do about that so I just try to dive as much as possible now.

learn2turn:
Is it really worth snorkelling in New England (MA/RI coast)?

Only you can answer that. Grab a mask and snorkel and let us know.

Back
Top Bottom