Is it worth buying these used tanks and converting them to doubles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDVR

Reaction score
Ok somebody is trying to sell these 2 tanks for 50$ he says they are Sherwood 6300 steel scuba tanks w/ adapter

Now I think 6300 refers to the valves not the tanks but thats how the guy is listing them.They were last inspected in 99 and the guy says they have been sitting in his house since then

So the question is how big do they look to you guys? Are they 100's? Could somebody(me) make a cheap set of doubles out of them? Are they worth picking up on the cheap? I have not owned tanks so not sure how expensive it would be to get all the o rings replaced and have them serviced by the lds, I think I can get some bands pretty cheap. Also I can convert them to Nitrox yes?

Anyway an estimate of there value and how much it would cost me to make them enriched air doubles suitable for depths 130-165fsw would be great. Taking an advanced nitrox/deco class in September

If you believe his statement about not using them since the last inspection, if those are 2 steel tanks for $50 you have a real bargain, end of story.

I can't quite tell what size they are from the pics. Better info would be in the codes stamped into the steel below the neck, on the shoulder of the tank.

The valves on the tanks are probably worth $25-30 each. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. As for making doubles out of them... I don't know. But for some steel singles, hard to see how you'd go wrong.

They look like LP80's from here. Worth the risk, considering you'll get most of the cost back in scrap alone.

jump on it,new hydro and vis inspection should be good to go,hard to kill a steel tank if pressure is kept in them,have one from 1966 still looks brand new inside.

They look like 3500 psi HP tanks to me as it looks like they have 300 bar Din valves on them. From the size (relative to the valve) I'm guessing HP 80's

If you post dimensions we can confirm for sure.

As others have said if it's $50 for two (or even each) they are a good deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom