Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that you take someone with you that knows what they are doing.

A lot of people try one the first time and do not have it set up properly. A typical result is that they end up having their face pushed in the water on the surface and are foot heavy under the water.

we think that this is such an important issue that we dive with people who purchase a plate and wing from us to make sure they get in the ballpark.
I would be renting it off a store that also does the dives. God willing they know wtf. Right? Thanks and good advice. I’m certainly not going to fumble and drown from assuming I know what I’m doing as I don’t when it comes to this device. I’m sure that’s what many do. People and their egos. SMH

A bpw is not always the answer.

I find it unfortunate that so few are dictating to so many.
I only posted it for fullness of discussion as many people do find it to be a very good option. I have caveated that a number of time to the extent that @Happyladydiver is the only person that knows what will be right for her so try options and make an informed decision.
I would be renting it off a store that also does the dives. God willing they know wtf. Right? Thanks and good advice. I’m certainly not going to fumble and drown from assuming I know what I’m doing as I don’t when it comes to this device. I’m sure that’s what many do. People and their egos. SMH
I agree with you on that - you have asked the question and most people here will try to give you unbiased advice. A good shop should ask you almost as many questions as you ask them to determine that the items are right for you.

Certain circles of divers (particularly on Scubaboard where there can be a bit of a tech diving bias) believe BP&W is the only option but it doesn't suit everyone and I am happy to admit that.

While this contraption is extremely sophisticated and requires an advanced engineering degree to fully comprehend, here's a few simple tips to help you get started:
  • if the first stage is hitting you in the head, it may be too high.
  • If the bottom of the tank is kicking your tail, it may be too low.
  • If you're falling out of the harness it may be too loose.
  • If the harness is cutting off blood circulation in various body parts, it may be too tight.

HTH

While this contraption is extremely sophisticated and requires an advanced engineering degree to fully comprehend, here's a few simple tips to help you get started:
  • if the first stage is hitting you in the head, it may be too high.
  • If the bottom of the tank is kicking your tail, it may be too low.
  • If you're falling out of the harness it may be too loose.
  • If the harness is cutting off blood circulation in various body parts, it may be too tight.

HTH

LMAO! I think we all needed that. Cheers

I only posted it for fullness of discussion as many people do find it to be a very good option. I have caveated that a number of time to the extent that @Happyladydiver is the only person that knows what will be right for her so try options and make an informed decision.

I agree with you on that - you have asked the question and most people here will try to give you unbiased advice. A good shop should ask you almost as many questions as you ask them to determine that the items are right for you.

Certain circles of divers (particularly on Scubaboard where there can be a bit of a tech diving bias) believe BP&W is the only option but it doesn't suit everyone and I am happy to admit that.

You really have and it is appreciated and a fact. At the end of the day I need what works for me. Trying options is the only way to get there.

I do know I HATE clutter and feeling crowded and strapped in no matter what I am doing and if this thing offers a solution to that, I am all in.

Remember to factor in the cost of the new Perdix computer if you decide to go the BP/Wing route.
Feel free to ignore posts like these along with long hose evangelists. You can happily dive a BP&W without progressing any further towards the dark side (tech). I would happily do all my dives with an LCD screen watch size computer if the screen was more readable in dark murky water (which pretty much describes UK diving) and I have no issues with using a normal octo set up as opposed to long hose.

Oh my. Next you're going to tell them that cave fills are not the way to go either. I'm not sure they'll survive the first dive.

Just a reminder again, that we're posting in the New Divers section with special rules, so let's remember to speak with our indoor supportive voices. :wink:

Ok, feeble attempts at humor aside, the BP/Wing combos are great for a lot of people, I have a soft plate and wing. Some people like the feel of the jacket style better though. They say they feel more secure wearing something that feels like a life jacket. Feeling is all subjective but if it makes you more comfortable in the water then more power to you. There are plusses and minuses to both. Scubapro's stab jackets are really comfortable, just not modular or customizable like a BP/W combo. I got away from that style because at the time they didn't have enough D rings to hook my stringers, goodie bags, lift bags, and whatever other doodads I had with me. That type of jacket may be worth looking into.

As far as the used gear goes, I have bought a lot of gear used, and on line. I've gotten a couple lemons but I always managed to at least get the value of parts out of them. Buying new gear is just hard for me to swallow. The second you leave the shop it depreciates like a car. I know the markups too. In the door at $300 out at $600. That was my main reason for starting to go used. Then buying used led to double hose regulators and vintage chrome scubapros but that's another issue.

You're asking the right questions and the best answer will always try before you buy. Just match your gear to the type of diving you'll be doing the most of. Warm water vacation gear is not the same as deep doubles and drysuit gear. Buy what you'll use most often and rent what you'll need occasionally.

Good luck with your hunt. This place has lots of good info and some real characters. Enjoy.

Ps. Just in case you haven't figured out the running joke, if there is ever a question about BC's or computers, the answers will always be BP/Wing and Perdix. Also, split fins and a spare air will kill you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom