Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anecdotal, but much of the travelers we saw in 2020 were within the state. We had few out of state guests, and locations like Ginnie Springs were most filled with people from South Florida.

How is your Mom doing?
She passed September last year. Thank you for asking.

We now have a new family member, her cat. Neither Eric nor I are cat people. But she is sweet.

269F6719-8EA3-42CD-BE3B-566C3A50D69E.jpeg

I just admitted my mistake because I did not give my opinion succinctly. You had good cause to think that I was referring to you directly because I wrote my sentence poorly. And now you are double butt-hurt because I apologized to you. Triggered much?

cheers,
m
:rofl3:

I just admitted my mistake because I did not give my opinion succinctly. You had good cause to think that I was referring to you directly because I wrote my sentence poorly. And now you are double butt-hurt because I apologized to you. Triggered much?

cheers,
m

Not worth arguing with the mudman, he knows all and will always try and get the last word!

I was crippled by muscle cramps and spasms. I had other side affects. I wondered if my neck was about to snap. I could not move to call an ambulance and I could not get in the car to go to the ER. I am alive and kicking, so I obviously survived. I have not felt like that since I suffered an anaphylactic response from yogurt (I am allergic to yogurt).

The vaccine isn't the real virus. It's meant to provoke the immune system into reacting similarly as the body would, had it been attacked by the real thing. Given that the vaccine gave you such severe side effects, have you thought what the real virus might have done to you? Sure, you say you're healthy and at your peak, but some very healthy people got hit pretty hard, mainly because their bodies overreacted when the virus infected them, "cytokine storm". Maybe you're lucky you got to test out your body's reaction with a "milder" version.

an interesting read about travel and variant spread in Europe: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03677-y_reference.pdf
26 pages! No thank you.
Our first several cases were all from local/tourists arrived from Wuhan.

2002–2004 SARS outbreak - Wikipedia
The story on the 9th floor at Metropole Hotel was frightening. One infected person from china managed to infected 23 other guests including 7 on the 9th floor. The infection then spread over to Vietnam, Canada and Singapore.

I was perusing a thread in which someone expressed interest in Indonesia and it got me wondering, how many people are even braving 24-hour air journeys with multiple connections and all the masking, testing, etc.? I'm sure some inveterate travelers are, but I don't think I could hack it. I just returned from a long-delayed visit to European in-laws and felt it was a lot harder on me than in pre-covid times. For the most part, the mask(s) stayed on for the whole 18-hour journey, from getting into the Uber to the airport to being dropped off by another at my home. Every airport, every lounge, except for the brief respites afforded by eating/drinking. I believe masks are a great tool and generally don't mind putting up with them locally, but I think on this trip I found the limits of my tolerance.

I have a Bonaire group trip coming up--first major dive trip in two years--and am feeling a weird mix of elation and dread, even though the flight time is "only" 4-5 hours and no connections.

How long do you think flights from Houston to Male?

It’s tough, but you’ll appreciate more with the amazing dive experience reward at the end.

I was perusing a thread in which someone expressed interest in Indonesia and it got me wondering, how many people are even braving 24-hour air journeys with multiple connections and all the masking, testing, etc.? I'm sure some inveterate travelers are, but I don't think I could hack it. I just returned from a long-delayed visit to European in-laws and felt it was a lot harder on me than in pre-covid times. For the most part, the mask(s) stayed on for the whole 18-hour journey, from getting into the Uber to the airport to being dropped off by another at my home. Every airport, every lounge, except for the brief respites afforded by eating/drinking. I believe masks are a great tool and generally don't mind putting up with them locally, but I think on this trip I found the limits of my tolerance.

I have a Bonaire group trip coming up--first major dive trip in two years--and am feeling a weird mix of elation and dread, even though the flight time is "only" 4-5 hours and no connections.
Look at the bright side: wearing masks discourages people from talking (my personal observation).

Back
Top Bottom