Is it possible to do Raja Ampat on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at the Kri resort. No hot water but the people I talked to who have been there liked it. I been to the Sorido resort around the corner and really liked it......plus the diving....the finest I have found so far.

Just diving off the point at Kri is all one needs; fish, fish, more fish and then even some more fish....

:D

Bummer...

It's just not a budget destination.

Most diving is live-aboard diving nitrox.

If you are a dive guide with a lot of experience maybe you can score a job on one of the dive boats.

Hey dutchpickle....still diving in East Timor?.....one of my favorite spots!

Hi everybody

I've been reading Scubaboard for a long time, but never open an account.
Now I can answer !

I am also interested in Komodo and Raja Ampat and I found cheaper boats, if you do not mind not having aircond nor a private bathroom
For Komodo, Raja Ampat and Maratua : Komodo Sailing Komodo and Bali - Dive and Sailing Vessel in Indonesia - Home
For Komodo only : AriDive :
Aridive

Raja Empat is just not a budget / backpackers location. Only choices are of 3 resorts (2 in the same proximity run by Max Main page and a new one opened up in Missool (south) run by Andy Misool Eco Resort - About and then the live-aboards besides the big boys the smaller Grand Komodo boats are there on occasion (these can be a little cheaper (more rustic accommodation and meals...depends on what you are looking for). Back in the good ole days there were only 6 or so running but however Raja's popularity has grown quite abit with a lot of new operators trying to cash in on the market. I would stay with those that know the area / dive-sites to ensure value for money and disspointment. IMHO the best diving is down in Missool - far better than the northern sites (best up north Melissas Garden, lohloh (button Is) Eagle rock (when possible) Cape Kri And Sardine Reef), Down south too many to mention

Raja Empat is just not a budget / backpackers location. Only choices are of 3 resorts (2 in the same proximity run by Max Main page and a new one opened up in Missool (south) run by Andy Misool Eco Resort - About and then the live-aboards besides the big boys the smaller Grand Komodo boats are there on occasion (these can be a little cheaper (more rustic accommodation and meals...depends on what you are looking for). Back in the good ole days there were only 6 or so running but however Raja's popularity has grown quite abit with a lot of new operators trying to cash in on the market. I would stay with those that know the area / dive-sites to ensure value for money and disspointment. IMHO the best diving is down in Missool - far better than the northern sites (best up north Melissas Garden, lohloh (button Is) Eagle rock (when possible) Cape Kri And Sardine Reef), Down south too many to mention

Wayan you say you prefer Missool vs Papua? I have talked to a few people who have done both. They found Missool to be a bit more intense with corals and small stuff but as far as the bigger stuff Missool was lacking. Plus I have heard there is some commercial fishing permitted in the Missool area. I found Papua (Sorido resort) blew me away. When I got back in January...took me a week to decide to go back in October. Please give my your 2 psi between the two.

Wayan you say you prefer Misool vs Papua? I have talked to a few people who have done both. They found Misool to be a bit more intense with corals and small stuff but as far as the bigger stuff Misool was lacking. Plus I have heard there is some commercial fishing permitted in the Misool area. I found Papua (Sorido resort) blew me away. When I got back in January...took me a week to decide to go back in October. Please give my your 2 psi between the two.

Dont get me wrong there is great diving to be had out of Sorido/Kri resort in particular as I said Cape Kri and Sardine reef the others were okay but just not as lively.

It depends where they dived in Missool, some of the narrow channels have some great action, (not a Cape Kri but still great), The diving at Pel, Kalig, Fiabacet, Bees, and North East Channel that leads in through the 14 mile island chain connecting to the mainland (forgot the name). For my 2psi Missool has more options of what to dive that the northern areas of R4. But each to their own......The dives north are good but IMHO (as someone who operated a live-aboard there for a number of years) the Southern areas of R4 are the places to spend the majority of time a lot more diversity not only in marine life but dive sites and topside.

Both resorts long boat trips to get to (misool even a little longer),

In actual fact the Misool area has been declared a marine park and so commercial fishing is not allowed. But as with everything you need to be able to police this and presently there are not enough rangers / resources to patrol the area (whilst it is certainly better now than when I operated up of there)

Back
Top Bottom