Is it OK to fly with housing sealed up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole idea of leaving luggage unlocked or using special TSA locks is one reason I will not check my camera gear or dive computers (even though they are all insured). I need to arrive knowing my gear will be there and functional. I can always rent dive gear should they screw that up.

You should never, ever, travel by air with a sealed up housing, forget about o-ring, but you could easily pop a window or unseat a port lens from it seal, manufacturer don't write that stuff in the manual just for making your life miserable, we know what can and does happen, trust your manufacturer and stick to their recommendation.

if you are adamant about keeping the port attached to the housing, at least remove the eyepiece if possible or the main O-ring (Tip: put a thin piece of plastic from a soft drink bottle of something similar between the fron and back as a flag to remind you that there is no O-ring in the groove, heck you sure don't want to forget that O-ring!!!

Back
Top Bottom