Is it OK if I dive by my self?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed it Pete. I've reread the thread and I still don't see any "situations that require solo diving." I see some where it's common, I don't see any where it's required.

No Its not ok. Not at your current level. You might be a recue diver but who is going to rescue you?

I missed it Pete. I've reread the thread and I still don't see any "situations that require solo diving." I see some where it's common, I don't see any where it's required.
Check page 117 of the Capt Gary's PADI manual... these are indeed REQUIRED to be done solo. :D

Ok,We do have a major problem.O.P. is a DM wannabe.
As a instructor I will ask him to go out and place a bouy when it is not there al ready.
What can I do as a instuctor? 2 options.1 ask the DM wannabe or 2 do it my self??

For me ,I will ASK the DM wannebe,can I force him/her?no way
2 B or not 2 B Thats the question
Or to do or not to do

Check page 117 of the Capt Gary's PADI manual... these are indeed REQUIRED to be done solo. :D

I'm not familiar with "the Capt Gary's PADI manual." Please quote the reference.

OK, maybe not "REQUIRED", but it would seem pretty unlikely for an instructor, if he/she had two DM's too ask them both too set the dive float when one of them could help students with gear. I know of a few that could use the help, but at the DM status they should be able too handle setting the float without entangling themselves, not too say it could not be done.LMAO:rofl3: This hardly seems like a valid point too be arguing. Selitzer was asking a question that by the sounds of it made him seem not quite sure of his level of competency. With the said 50-99 I would assume he should be confident in his diving skills and not asking for permission too dive alone. I'm not saying that he is not a competent diver, the question just brings a level a doubt. I'm also just trying too make a point that there are risks that are involved with solo diving that should be addressed before just jumping off the side of a boat by yourself, or shore diving for that matter.
Joe

hi there
you think is ok if i dive by my self?. I am a rescue diver finishing my DM

First of all... you are no longer a Rescue Diver... you are a DM candidate:D!

Don't be afraid to throw that professional weight around...:mooner:!

But seriously... Doc is right on. As an active DM, you will come upon situations where you will be asked to solo dive. Typically the scenerios Doc mentioned. You do not have to solo dive... it's your choice. You are responsible for you, and I am sure anyone you work with will honor your decision to go or not go solo:).

As for me... regularly, I drop in to secure a line on the wrecks we dive with our classes. I have never felt aprehensive about this. I rely on my training, my gear, and my experience to keep me level-headed and therefore safe.

I have altered my rig accordingly, to allow myself the safety margin I need to solo dive. I dive with a 100cf tank, when the students are diving 80's. This extra gas is handy since I am usually the first diver in the water and the last one out. I also carry a 19cf pony w/ reg tucked in next to my main tank. My AI wireless computer is backed up by a redundant depth guage and a watch. And... as a habit... I always check the tables before the dive and note the NDLs on a corner of my slate.

As for my dives outside of classes... I dive solo occasionally. I limit my solo dives to sites already in my logbook and I am much quicker to call a solo dive due to weather or sea conditions, than the same dive with a buddy.

I can't say whether you are ready or not... only you can make that determination.

Just make sure you think it through and practice safe diving:14:.

Scott

I think it is fine if you have a good record of judgment regarding your own abilities and ask relevant questions beforehand and proceed in increments that you believe are safe.

Watch for the little stupid things and don't go in bad viz.

Some individuals, even smart athletic ones, don't have a good record accurately factoring in risk variables and placing them in a hierarchy. This is a very unique type of intelligence I am refering to and attempting to describe. If you don't feel you are above average at this specific skill, delay diving solo and work on building this foundation.

I do this by approaching every dive, from the time I get in the vehicle with the driver from a risk benefit approach. Train your mind to assess risk conditions like ocean conditions, your body that day, gear issues, boat support or not, and understand the relative probablity of certain things going wrong and always be willing to answer only to yourself.

Be acutely aware of any peer pressure social dynamics and exercise your autonomy muscle. I worry more about people who do not ask questions and get feedback, not the ones that do, because it is all about testing reality to dive solo. I rely on information from many sources to see my blind spots.

Best wishes for a positive experience, it is worth the journey.

Back
Top Bottom