Is it OK if I dive by my self?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. If you have gotten to the point of finishing your DM course and you still have to ask people on a message board if this is ok, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. I'm not saying that solo diving isn't ok for those who are prepared and know what is involved, but usually if you aren't sure, and you don't sound like you are, it is not a good idea at all.

Later, Hawk.

hi there
you think is ok if i dive by my self?. I am a rescue diver finishing my DM

Expect to take some flak for this question.

I have to agree with the previous posters.

Based on the information you've given there is no way for us to determine your skill level of competence as a diver. The very fact that you are asking the question indicates to me that there is some level of doubt or uncertainty on your part.

Your best bet is to talk to your instructors or other experienced divers who have dove with you and ask them for a frank evaluation of your in water skills.

I'm not even going to get into the whole "don't dive solo or you're gonna die" debate, I'm sure there will be plenty after me who will be willing to beat that horse, so I'll address some things you should think about.

Before making that decision there are several things you should consider. First off, what is your motivation for diving solo? If it's a lack of available buddies, you might want to use the resources of this board to help with that. Ditto that if it's because your current buddies don't want to do the same type of diving as you.

The next thing you should consider is your place as a role model for someone finishing up their DM cert. Is this the type of behavior you would want other divers to see and emulate? If you are finishing up DM and plan on working with students, then they could be a good source for you to find new buddies and even act as a mentor as they progress in their diving skills.

If you choose to dive solo, you really need to look at all of the risks that could be associated with it. Aside from the obvious redundancy of your gas supply, you should look at redundancy of other equipment such as bouyancy control or backup masks, computer/tables etc. in the event you had an emergency without a buddy present to help you out. Always remember, when you're diving solo, the one piece of equipment that you can't have redundancy on is your brain!

Not only should you carry redundant equipment, but you should practice using it as well. The last thing you want is to need something and find out it there is a problem with it or that your skills in switching to it are lacking.

If you are boat diving (ack!), you should take appropriate precautions in the event you got seperated or lost the boat and if you are contemplating anything more advanced, the list just grows.

You should also be disciplined enough to stick to your dive plan and inform someone else what it is. If you change it on the fly, you could increase your chances of getting yourself into a situation you're not prepared for.

If you're committed to going this route, research all the information out there so you can make an informed decision.

Remember: You don't know what you don't know and what you don't know could kill you!

Dive safe!

Quite often Dive Masters and especially Instructors are called to make solo dives. Sometimes we have to set up equipment for a class, like the ascent Float. Sometimes we are asked to set the anchor line or to tie onto a wreck. During a class, an instructor may dive without a specific buddy and use the entire class as their "buddy". So, you can be confident that there are MANY of us who dive alone just out of necessity. I also dive alone out of the sheer joy of it.

So when are you "ready"? The glib answer is "if you have to ask you aren't ready". While this sounds semi-wise it's vague enough to provide no real direction. In fact, there are many reasons to ask the question and most of them are good. You should NEVER EVER lose that caution which makes you question each and every dive. Is it within your training, do you have the proper preparations, are the conditions adequate and more.

I would suggest that you spend some time in our Solo Diver Forum and learn some of the preparations and limitations of Solo Diving. Realize that solo diving isn't for everyone, and that your skills (such as situational awareness) should be EXCELLENT before you try.

Quite often Dive Masters and especially Instructors are called to make solo dives. Sometimes we have to set up equipment for a class, like the ascent Float. Sometimes we are asked to set the anchor line or to tie onto a wreck.

Good points.

Quite often Dive Masters and especially Instructors are called to make solo dives. Sometimes we have to set up equipment for a class, like the ascent Float. Sometimes we are asked to set the anchor line or to tie onto a wreck. During a class, an instructor may dive without a specific buddy and use the entire class as their "buddy". So, you can be confident that there are MANY of us who dive alone just out of necessity. I also dive alone out of the sheer joy of it.

So when are you "ready"? The glib answer is "if you have to ask you aren't ready". While this sounds semi-wise it's vague enough to provide no real direction. In fact, there are many reasons to ask the question and most of them are good. You should NEVER EVER lose that caution which makes you question each and every dive. Is it within your training, do you have the proper preparations, are the conditions adequate and more.

I would suggest that you spend some time in our Solo Diver Forum and learn some of the preparations and limitations of Solo Diving. Realize that solo diving isn't for everyone, and that your skills (such as situational awareness) should be EXCELLENT before you try.

This has to be one of the best put explanations on the subject I have seen/read yet!!

Thanks NetDoc nice job and well put!

As the Doc and others have stated, there are certian situations that require solo diving. The fact that you have too ask the question brings a level of lack of knowledge. Not saying that you are not a descent diver but maybe you should do some research on the logistics of solo diving. Even though most of my dives are done with a buddy, I and my dive buddy treat every dive as though it were solo. Most of the time my dive buddy and I are joined at the hip, but things happen unexpectedly, and if for some reason you have a valve failure and your buddy is not right there, it would sure be nice too have a redundant air source wouldn't it? If for some reason your mask strap broke a spare mask would come in handy. These things should be checked and maintained but things do happen. Also, if your not diving with the same buddy all the time, and are not sure of the buddy you are diving with will be there for you in the case of an emergency, some redundant gear may be of value! My moto is "BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!" Hopefully will take some of the advice and responses as a reminder that ONLY YOU are responsible for YOU!! Don't take it for granted that someone, even your buddy, will be there for you! Make sure that YOU come home to your loved ones. If you can help someone else, SWEET, but only rely on yourself! Even if you trust your buddy whole heartedly like I do mine!! Also, your only as good as your training, be it by a certifying agency or self taught. Practicing emergency situations should be a constant, as divers, we are in a realm that is not our own. DON'T EVER forget that nor become blind to the fact that bad things usually happen at the worst time for whatever reason. DIVE SAFE and within your limits, the life you save may be your own!!!!!
Joe

Oh yeah,
As far as the statement made about diving solo around newly certified divers or students, and being a role model too them, make sure you have the proper equipment/training and let them know why you carry it/have it and for what reasons. Also, let them know you have many dives and the proper training too do so. Not in a arrogant way, but a professional way as a dive pro should! Tell them that if they want too dive solo they should start by logging at least 100 dives too become comfortable with the gear and and practice emergency situations along the way. If they, after that time still want too pursue solo diving to look into a solo dive course and buy the proper needed extra equipment too do so.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom