Is it a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it golfing if you go to the Driving Range/Putting Green/Mini Course?
Did you go fishing if you didn't catch anything?

I would rather see in someones log book 6 pool dives in 3 months that 10 O/W dives last year.

Log it as experience.
You don't need 80ft saltwater and pretty fish to become a better diver.

I'd get a DM in the water with you one of those times and have him/her sign off on it as a refresher. Log it if you wish as a learning experience or as a refresher. But is it a dive? No. The DM's signature or sticker may look better to an op in that a professional has checked out your basic skills. If no one signs off on it I'd want to do a checkout before taking you into open water. For all I know since those 10 dives last year you may have forgotten some basic things or just overlooked them that could get you into real trouble in the ocean.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think a confined pool dive is classified as A DIVE:popcorn: But it may be interesting to hear some other responses.
Kelly

:eyebrow:I heard PADI was coming out with a certification for pool diving.

I agree that you should note your configuration but I have my doubts about logging it as a dive. We have a lot of instructors here. Do you log your dive when you teach a class in a 10' or 15' pool?

Reading other posts, there are people out their that will go down for ten minutes and surface for ten minutes and call that a dive. If I recall, they were trying to 'LOG' some dives to meet the prerequisites for a class.

This would seem to inflate a persons numbers of logged dives. If that is how people are logging dives then even reporting the number of dives you have make is inaccurate and really useless information.

IMHO, a diver knows in his heart when a dive is a dive. Like I made fun of before, I could put my head under the water in the hot tub on air for 10 minutes and call it a dive. There are some deep pools out there, how deep should a pool be before it is considered a dive? I would say at least 25'. :)

The OP has the right idea to refresh their ability and knowledge. Resorts that are asking for recent dives do not want the guy who has not touched a reg in eight year coming to the resort and dropping to 100 feet. It is a liability concern not to see if a person can log bogus dives. :no

smoothfin:
I heard PADI was coming out with a certification for pool diving

Really...Perhaps you should look into taking it...

still new:
I haven't dove since last year

Dived since last year....It is always dived...There is no such word as "dove"...

Having said this still new...watch your thread now get completely off track:D

Dived since last year....It is always dived...There is no such word as "dove"...

Wait 1 minute 4 some1 from a place where they know how to mess up a written language U make a very strong point here.(yep all messed up like I mean):D

now back on topic: should you log this as a dive.NO not as a dive ,but you must log it as a (PADI talk)scubareview just proving that you REVIEWED all the OW skills and are thus able to to do them.

Actually, if you look it up (dive - Definitions from Dictionary.com), both dived and dove are correct for past tense of dive. Dived is the older, while dove is a more recent and tends to be more American. I think it may be more of a regional use, as dove is common here. :D

Generally, I think if I have to ask "should I log this one?" It probably doesn't count as a dive. I didn't even log the open water dives I took during my Rescue diver class, but I did once meet a guy who logged all his pool dives, he had over 200 dives before enetering open water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom