Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever convinced any stranger to alter their diving technique? I dare not to be honest.
Twice. And only two times did I try. Despite my sometimes Mr. Congeniality persona on social media, I will if opportunity strikes politely ask if someone with weighting/trim problems would like some tips. If I have a GoPro (one time), I show them a before and after. But I have to have developed some rapport with conversation.

I've seen others try and they were sincere, but the person in need was not receptive which I would have expected.

If a person obviously DGAF, then it is best to not say anything.

It has happened on night dives in open water when peoples lights have failed. Sometimes on night dives I will turn off my lights at depth and see if I can maintain depth with my eyes closed. It's not easy.

Recreational divers, in my opinion, should not be diving solo anyway. Especially not on night dives. My light failing should not equal me having zero visibility. But you are right, the light could fail when your dive buddy is looking a different direction or is tucked behind the other side of the reef. In this case, hopefully, you are close enough to the reef to initiate touch contact to maintain stable depth while you deploy your back up light.

While I would posit that recreational divers should have virtually zero situations where they have zero reference for depth, there will always be someone who will concoct the scenario wherein the diver did the night dive without a backup light. And his primary/only light failed. And they diver was mid-water at the time. And so on and so on.

I've recently started checking in on SB again after some time away.

And this thread keeps showing up near the top of "New Posts" for reasons I don't quite understand.

Yes.

That's the answer

Yes it is.

For a variety of reasons.

Next!

I absolutely believe it does.

I did not learn to ski until I was married and my wife taught me as well as she could. In my first years of skiing while living in the ski paradise of Colorado, I stayed on the intermediate slopes and tried to perfect my technique by watching other skiers and imitating what they did. It did not occur to me that the skiers on the intermediate slopes were not my best choice of role models.

I eventually had enough money to take lessons, and I learned that all the stuff I had learned by imitating those skiers was wrong, wrong, wrong! Although I never fully overcame the bad habits I had accumulated over the years, I got much, much better. I learned the thrill of skiing nearly effortlessly down a double black diamond slope, gliding down a new, deep, powder run, and weaving through the trees on a forested slope. That was way, way, way more fun than what I had been doing for the first decade or so of skiing.

When I was working on my instructor certification, we did series of dives off Key Largo. At one point I saw a young woman diving, or, rather, trying to move along on the bottom. She was grossly over-weighted and had no sense of buoyancy. She was nearly crawling. Our eyes met, and the look on her face was "I am not having any fun whatsoever. If I ever get back to the surface, I am going to end this activity forever." At that moment I made an oath that no student of mine would ever look or feel like that.

Its interesting that it took me so long to realize this...

I can't think of any recreational activity in life that is not made more enjoyable when you are better at it. Only when I started diving did I realize this. I mean, fishing, swimming, woodworking, photography, dancing, skiing, playing instruments, sports.

When my wife took up photography as a hobby, she invested quite a bit in gear. When I suggested that she take a photography class, she was stunned at how much good classes cost. For me, I felt like it would be a better investment to get lower end gear and spend a bunch of money on classes than to spend a ton on gear and take no classes. I told her to be willing to invest twice as much in good photography classes as she invests in gear.

When I read some of the posts in scubaboard, particularly ones from new divers inquiring about dive computers, I cringe when they are asking about or advised to look into super expensive (close to $1k) multi gas AI computers. Those computers will add very little if anything to the quality of a new diver's experience. In my eyes, the diver is better off buying a $200 dive computer and spend the savings on fundies, a cavern class or an intro to tech class when they have had some experience under their belt. Fundies, a proper cavern class or a proper intro to tech class will do much more for the diver's enjoyment of diving through better skill than any piece of equipment.

I've recently started checking in on SB again after some time away.

And this thread keeps showing up near the top of "New Posts" for reasons I don't quite understand.

Yes.

That's the answer

Yes it is.

For a variety of reasons.

Next!
Nah, it's just a hoax. /S

Recreational divers, in my opinion, should not be diving solo anyway. Especially not on night dives. My light failing should not equal me having zero visibility. But you are right, the light could fail when your dive buddy is looking a different direction or is tucked behind the other side of the reef. In this case, hopefully, you are close enough to the reef to initiate touch contact to maintain stable depth while you deploy your back up light.

While I would posit that recreational divers should have virtually zero situations where they have zero reference for depth, there will always be someone who will concoct the scenario wherein the diver did the night dive without a backup light. And his primary/only light failed. And they diver was mid-water at the time. And so on and so on.
It shouldn't take much time to deploy a backup light. That's one of the benefits of lights turned on/off by screwing the light head, secured to your harness strap. While pointing behind you, the light that bleeds off t is enough to give you some reference.

This sounds more like a training issue.

Twice. And only two times did I try. Despite my sometimes Mr. Congeniality persona on social media, I will if opportunity strikes politely ask if someone with weighting/trim problems would like some tips. If I have a GoPro (one time), I show them a before and after. But I have to have developed some rapport with conversation.

I've seen others try and they were sincere, but the person in need was not receptive which I would have expected.

If a person obviously DGAF, then it is best to not say anything.
I have done it once to someone I know and it did not go down well!

I have done it once to someone I know and it did not go down well!
There's an indirect way during a debrief (which most people don't do). Ask the person if you are doing what you observed them doing/needs fixing. Maybe mirror them. It is a tough thing. I was an IDC staff instructor when I took fundies, and that was a cold shower. I continuously question how I'm doing as most divers are typically nowhere nearly as skilled as they think they are.

Some years ago, I posted a link to the first video out of UDC where all skills were performed neutraly buoyant. The trim wasn't great, just okay, but it was still a big step. I remeber the person here who just dumped on me. So I challenged him, post a video of himself doing underwater kit removal and replace as he claimed he had a class that weekend. On Monday I called him out and he admitted that it was harder than he expected.

That's one of the problems of video not being used in training. While I understand that in the past there were training deaths due to instructors distracted from their camera, I'm guessing that they had to hold onto the camera (as opposed to a mask mounted one, like the Paralenz) and look through the viewfinder. I don't see how I would be distracted or impaired from looking at my students and recording their performance. That is one of the reasons RAID appeals to me: they don't ban the use of cameras in open water courses and I think it pays big dividends.

Video is used a lot in many sports. Should be used more in diving. Instead most divers (myself included until fundies) are given a false sense of abilities.

That's one of the problems of video not being used in training. While I understand that in the past there were training deaths due to instructors distracted from their camera, I'm guessing that they had to hold onto the camera (as opposed to a mask mounted one, like the Paralenz) and look through the viewfinder. I don't see how I would be distracted or impaired from looking at my students and recording their performance. That is one of the reasons RAID appeals to me: they don't ban the use of cameras in open water courses and I think it pays big dividends.
PADI only prohibits camera use by the instructor during Discover Scuba. In OW it tends to be feedback overload; in classes like PPB it is really valuable

There's an indirect way during a debrief (which most people don't do). Ask the person if you are doing what you observed them doing/needs fixing. Maybe mirror them. It is a tough thing. I was an IDC staff instructor when I took fundies, and that was a cold shower. I continuously question how I'm doing as most divers are typically nowhere nearly as skilled as they think they are.
To a complete stranger? Not a chance.
There is usually no debriefing after the dive unless something has gone wrong. For some divers and myself that could be the last dive of the trip.
I have been asked on several occasions by the fellow divers of my set up(BP/W with long hose) in rec dive.
And some of my insta-buddy did not like the idea of primary donation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom