Is diving from an inflatable possible on Florida's east coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A surf roll sure would ruin the cool scuba/kayak factor - plus then you have to lug all that stuff up the beach all covered with sand. Mike - never move to a northern climate - the steep learning curve regarding the concept of not eating yellow snow might cause you some problems up there.

I used to launch my 12' Achilles/25 hp at J Loyd park and go out the Fort Lauderdale inlet. Its an easy run when the seas are down. The only downside is that the big boats are powering through there, you have to be careful and realize there is a possibility of getting run over. If you stay to the side of the channel you should be OK, if your motor conks out, you don't have much time to restart it before you're on the rocks if you're on the edge of the channel. Once outside its great to kick back and go wherever you please to dive. It can be like a lake during the summer.

Like ScubaDad we used a rubberboat out of Sebastian, Florida for a couple of years treasure hunting. Since we bought a 38' Mainship and use the rubberboat and 5HP motor as a dive tender. I don't miss diving out of the little rubberboat, very easy to get into the water, tough to get out!.

Its legal and fun as long as you have a proper dive flag a whistle and a life preserver.
get caught without and they will fine you. boats rafts kyacks canoes ie: anything that is powered by man wind motor is considered a vessel. I once got a warning for not having a big enough flag on my kyack. if you dont believe me go to www.myfwc.com and do a search.

plongeursousmarin:
Please excuse this dumb question. But for those who live and dive regularly on the south east coast of Florida (Ft Lauderdale/Miami area) and are "self-contained", is it possible to use an inflatable such as Zodiac to dive? Or is it against the law? Or totally impractical due to conditions? Or is it more feasible in the Keys for example?
Thanks!

I just tried my new Diveyak out in Pensacola, FL March 21 thru 25 and took on three foot waves. It did just fine, but I had to pull it out about 15 yards before trying to get on and paddling the rest of the way. I am going to bring it this July and do some Shore Diving in Melbourne, FL and Marathon, FL. Right now I am stuck in the rivers and lakes up here. What I would suggest is using your inflatable a few times out not loaded that way you get used to it and how to manuever it in the waves. If you want a real rush, wait till the waves are real big then take it out and ride the waves in, IT IS A BLAST. Of course without any equipment on it. Do a search in fourms "Diveyak". I posted a little more about my experience with my Diveyak.

reefsavers.org:
Its legal and fun as long as you have a proper dive flag a whistle and a life preserver.
get caught without and they will fine you. boats rafts kyacks canoes ie: anything that is powered by man wind motor is considered a vessel. I once got a warning for not having a big enough flag on my kyack. if you dont believe me go to www.myfwc.com and do a search.

Thanks for the heads up! I will have a 20 x 24 Dive flag for the Kayak and Life Jackets.

Floridawannabe:
I am going to bring it this July and do some Shore Diving in Melbourne, FL and Marathon, FL.

Make sure you let us know when you come to Melbourne. No beach diving in Melbourne, but if the water is clear.. Wabasso is a great spot.

Al

Coast guard regs and FWC regs state that all vessels must have a sound device, whether its a horn or whistle. They are serious about this one trust me. being able to whistle with your mouth doesnt pass. they want you to be able to hold a tone for 3 seconds. Most will ask you to blow it to see if it works. A used shotgun shell will work!
Ive been using one for years and after you blow it he,ll be deaf Ha ha ha.

Scuba_Dad:
Make sure you let us know when you come to Melbourne. No beach diving in Melbourne, but if the water is clear.. Wabasso is a great spot.

Al
Thanks for the heads up. I will let you know when I am in town. How are you guys recovering on the beach side from the Hurricane? I hope everything is doing better, we went to Pensacola, FL in March and a lot of the homes and business still had repairs being done. We usually try a little diving around Indian Harbour Beach area but I am up to new places.

reefsavers.org:
Coast guard regs and FWC regs state that all vessels must have a sound device, whether its a horn or whistle. They are serious about this one trust me. being able to whistle with your mouth doesnt pass. they want you to be able to hold a tone for 3 seconds. Most will ask you to blow it to see if it works. A used shotgun shell will work!
Ive been using one for years and after you blow it he,ll be deaf Ha ha ha.

I already have a whistle but I will try the used shotgun shell also, sounds like a BLAST. :11ztongue

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom