Is Deep Sea Supply out of business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their 6mm 316ss backplate is a beast. You can use it as armor if you decide not to dive it.
Yup. I don't personally own one but they are a locally owned UT company and I have been lusting after their stuff.

@Charred, curious about what you did not like. Not looking at any brand bashing, just genuine curiosity so I can learn as well.

It is a VDH #18. Only because you asked:
-no way it is #18 if the DSS is also #18. The wing is much larger than a similar DSS wing. My guess it is around 20-23 which makes me wonder what their #23 wing actually is.
-The VDH has a bungee to contain the size I just don't like. If it was actually #18 like the DSS it wouldnt need it.
-The seal for the dump hose is lower quality than DSS (subjective I know based entirely on "feel" of seals)
-The dump is lower quality than DSS (same as above)
-DSS had a built in hard resin/plastic "STA" that kept the tank stable. The VDH has fabric wedges.
-DSS uses 2 zip ties at each end of the infiltrator hose vs 1 at each end for the VDH.
-VDH has the hose coming off the left of the wing vs center for the DSS. I think I prefer this from a hose routing stance but this is not settled. I am not convinced it handles small bubbles as well as the DSS wing which had a kind of pointy shape at the top where the hose attached. If you are diving low weight and streamlined with small amounts of air in the wing, this really matters.
-The VDH wing has a longer dump hose than DSS. Since I am taller than average I appreciate the few extra inches.
-DSS wing came with a inflator hose by Goodyear - VDH came with none.

Very important caveat. The VDH wing is my new main wing. It is not substandard it is just not built to "overkill" type standards Tobin used. If DSS reopens I'll order a wing.

The lift that you see on DSS wings is what you get after the wing has been attached to the tank whereas with others it is without the tank.

To add to the information listed by Charred
After I purchased my VDH #18 wing I asked for the oring sizes of the inflator so I could self service. The reply email had no text just a link to a service kit that once purchased and posted to Australia cost more than an inflator assy. Not great service from a company that makes DIY videos.
Halcyon were more than helpful for inflator service oring sizes

-no way it is #18 if the DSS is also #18. The wing is much larger than a similar DSS wing. My guess it is around 20-23 which makes me wonder what their #23 wing actually is.
-The VDH has a bungee to contain the size I just don't like. If it was actually #18 like the DSS it wouldnt need it.
-The seal for the dump hose is lower quality than DSS (subjective I know based entirely on "feel" of seals)
-DSS had a built in hard resin/plastic "STA" that kept the tank stable. The VDH has fabric wedges.
-DSS uses 2 zip ties at each end of the infiltrator hose vs 1 at each end for the VDH.
-VDH has the hose coming off the left of the wing vs center for the DSS. I think I prefer this from a hose routing stance but this is not settled. I am not convinced it handles small bubbles as well as the DSS wing which had a kind of pointy shape at the top where the hose attached. If you are diving low weight and streamlined with small amounts of air in the wing, this really matters.
-The VDH wing has a longer dump hose than DSS. Since I am taller than average I appreciate the few extra inches.

Very important caveat. The VDH wing is my new main wing. It is not substandard it is just not built to "overkill" type standards Tobin used. If DSS reopens I'll order a wing.

The funny thing is, most of your points that you dislike the VDH and prefer the DSS are the same points I dislike the DSS, and prefer the VDH.....

(and I do own and dive both)

on 18lbs. getting these things measured is really subjective on how they are reported, so take that one with a grain of salt.
the dumps were custom made by Tobin and were a common swap on just about everyone elses wings. The VDH is using the same one as everyone else.
STA is a weird one, many didn't like the DSS so it's just different
VDH will let you change the length IIRC when you order on the corrugated hose
The DSS inflator hoses were actually made by Tobin. Surprised the VDH didn't come with one, but it gives you flexibility to get one that's the right length. A lot of people criticized the ones that came with DSS.

I love my DSS stuff, everyone on here knows that, but I think the VDH wing is the best alternative for now.

on 18lbs. getting these things measured is really subjective on how they are reported, so take that one with a grain of salt.
the dumps were custom made by Tobin and were a common swap on just about everyone elses wings. The VDH is using the same one as everyone else.
STA is a weird one, many didn't like the DSS so it's just different
VDH will let you change the length IIRC when you order on the corrugated hose
The DSS inflator hoses were actually made by Tobin. Surprised the VDH didn't come with one, but it gives you flexibility to get one that's the right length. A lot of people criticized the ones that came with DSS.

I love my DSS stuff, everyone on here knows that, but I think the VDH wing is the best alternative for now.
Sorry if I am obtuse, but why is the lift capacity of a wing subjective?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom