Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
but how to explain he did get an airplane on his own when DAN said it t was not possible ?
DAN said they couldn't arrange it that quickly, not that it couldn't be done. Did Woody's plane have everything that was needed per DAN's standards (likely established with lawyers and Doctor's discussing risks etc.), or just what he felt was needed? Did DAN simply not have a contract or knowledge of the company they found?

Great, they had a NP (They they said Dr., but at first that's not what they claimed to have), and they had "an IV" and some oxygen. Was that plane going to properly respond with the right tools and equipment if Woody had a different issue, more suited to the symptoms he presented to DAN and suffered complications? Did DAN have more stringent requirements that were established by doctors knowledgeable in these scenarios that said "this is what is needed for decent safety" and the transport they arranged didn't meet those standards?

I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that's just as likely as the chance that Woody and Gus happened to research everything about safely transporting dive accident victims by plane and came up with the best answer and found someone capable of doing it in 1.5 hours on their own.

I am talking about the given situation. Yes, they delayed and maybe they should have gone immediately to the hospital. They didn't; part of the spiral as Gareth Locke would say. However, given their decision to wait until dinner to go to the hospital, given a DCS Level 2 diagnosis and DAN is a 24 hour wait; what do you do?
the denial of divers that they are bent is VERY common.. Very

In the Caymans when I was an Instructor back in the 90's it was more normal for people to insist they were OK when they obviously weren't than say 'hey, i don't feel great" and of those that did say that, 99% of the time it was a woman, not a guy. Guys almost always would argue with us when we expressed concern, suggested oxygen, go to the hospital etc. It was not uncommon to have a diver that you would almost forced to go on oxygen on the boat, refuse to go to the hospital, get mad at you for trying to make them go and then the next day when you come to work find out they did in fact go at midnight when the pain/symptoms got unbearable. As a volunteer chamber attendant, between 10pm and 3 am and you get a call it was a guy that wouldn't listen to their body earlier or their instructor/divemaster/spouse/travelling companions that they were likely bent. Just saying.

Now, the amount of folks that would argue with you they weren't bent when trying to get them to breath oxygen, go to the hospital etc and then went 6-10 hrs later when in much worse shape that ended up blaming you for bending them, not being forceful enough (and have had an ambulance at the shop and they refuse to get in the darn thing, then get mad you didn't force them) wasn't a zero either.

Amex starts off gently and as you have and use over time and they get a feel for you they are very good and raise limits. I have had Amex since 98 and on the charge card side had charges for silly amounts (work stuff) approved with a quick call before that were so high even I thought they must be insane to say yes. I also have a more traditional credit card and they seem to increase the limit at least once a year even if I am paying it off in full monthly. They really do value long term costumers.

Every year I debate whether to renew Platinum, but the medevac and other benefits more than pay for it. This year, staying at the Four Seasons free in Dubai. I once bought an BMW M3 without ever calling them, also bought a motorcycle a few years ago. Sometimes, membership has its privileges. Once you leave the US, you better prepared to solve your own issues. Just this trip we called them for a flight back to the US for a sick person in our party. They were more than beneficial. Plan accordingly. Global Rescue might not be a bad option of you travel to far flung places.

Every year I debate whether to renew Platinum, but the medevac and other benefits more than pay for it. This year, staying at the Four Seasons free in Dubai. I once bought an BMW M3 without ever calling them, also bought a motorcycle a few years ago. Sometimes, membership has its privileges. Once you leave the US, you better prepared to solve your own issues. Just this trip we called them for a flight back to the US for a sick person in our party. They were more than beneficial. Plan accordingly. Global Rescue might not be a bad option of you travel to far flung places.
yeah, and the plat card while expensive, they simply do give great service, better service and benefits than most will ever take advantage of. But if you do, the fee is virtually free.

But the thing with amex is, they will give you all the rope (let you charge big amounts) in the world to lasso a problem, but if you don't pay as agreed, they will assist you in using the rope to hang yourself.

That's a lie. The help was coming, just not at the speed they demanded.
Help wasn't coming at speed they felt they needed.
the denial of divers that they are bent is VERY common.. Very
As I mentioned in another comment, an impaired person is often the wrong person to diagnose themselves.

Immediate medical checkups can also be extremely expensive, which is why a lot of people avoid going "for the sniffles." That is one of the major reasons why I got DAN insurance, was so I wouldn't have that excuse. Plus (in theory) DAN should be able to help tell me whether or not it is worth going for a checkup if I am feeling a bit off.

(Of course, part of this thread is how much DAN actually does this or not. I'm inclined to think they usually do, even if they may have "failed" some in this instance.)

I would pay for it. If I needed to I could pony up $50k without much effort to save my life or my family's. I would then start the battle to get reimbursed and refill my coffers and pay off the CC.

People should not be traveling with a CC limit under $10k. It isn't hard or far fetched to get a $20k card or two. Ask for an increase every 6 months until you've reached a usable limit.

Also, increasing your credit limit will help your credit score because you're now using less % each time it's used. Win win
It has to do with you expressing discontent about us “being on our own” and the “lowering of expectations”.
Agreed. I think everybody would do the same given the situation and I think it supports my statement of being own your own. DAN may not be able to help you out so you better have the resources to do so on your own. I know I will change something. I have gotten into the habit of not carrying my physical credit card because just about every place I just tap my iPhone. My Amex and other cards will be on all trips in the future!

Seems strange to me that DAN would require 48-72 hour advance notice to arrange O2 on a medical flight, given how critical O2 is for those suffering from DCI.

I wonder if that’s their standard worldwide or just for that area. Do they have forms for different regions?

For those really questioning DAN now, not diving in remote places would probably be something to consider.

Agreed. I think everybody would do the same given the situation and I think it supports my statement of being own your own. DAN may not be able to help you out so you better have the resources to do so on your own. I know I will change something. I have gotten into the habit of not carrying my physical credit card because just about every place I just tap my iPhone. My Amex and other cards will be on all trips in the future!
I think it does a bit of both. I expect my insurances to pay for what I have covered. I am prepared to pay up front when out of country unless otherwise stated. I have no problem fronting the initial care costs until my insurance kicks in. I'm not a college kid traveling the world with a backpack and regulator though. I'm near middle aged and not a poor.

What is Global Rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom