Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
but how to explain he did get an airplane on his own when DAN said it t was not possible ?
If I recall correctly, the Plane was suggested by the ER doc, who would have had knowledge of this service. Gus had little to do with the success of finding that. It would be pretty difficult for DAN to have a world wide network of emergency evac services at the ready.

Help wasn't coming at speed they felt they needed.
As I mentioned in another comment, an impaired person is often the wrong person to diagnose themselves.
They are probably the wrong person to ascertain the speed they need as well.

Getting injured in a foreign country is scary as F***! I was fortunate to be traveling with an army of advocates. They splinted me up, carried me to the boat on a chaise, Dan got on with me, and they got us to the main Island about 45 minutes away (8 ft seas). On the main island, they got me to the hospital, about 4/5 hours away. Then, DAN got involved. In this process, I made zero decisions. I think I signed some paperwork the day I got out of surgery. Oh yeah, I decided whether to cast it, go to surgery, or go home all broken after I was stabilized. It would not have happened if they had put a grate over the 3 ft drain I walked into.

I think it does a bit of both. I expect my insurances to pay for what I have covered. I am prepared to pay up front when out of country unless otherwise stated. I have no problem fronting the initial care costs until my insurance kicks in. I'm not a college kid traveling the world with a backpack and regulator though. I'm near middle aged and not a poor.
Yes, when traveling out of the country I know my primary insurance will not be accepted and will have to prepay but will be reimbursed by filing a foreign claim with my insurance company. I guess I have or had misconceptions of DAN insurance and also be prepared to pay in advance. I bet a lot of divers have the impression I did that DAN coordinates and pays for treatment.

What is Global Rescue?
When I did some remote work, a few years ago I sought out Global Rescue, which ran for me, about 700.00 for a year's membership -- and whose rates increase with other requirements, such as evacuations from high elevations.

Costly, but considerably less than the tab for my monthly medical insurance . . .

I bet a lot of divers have the impression I did that DAN coordinates and pays for treatment.
They did mine. No problems.

Yes, when traveling out of the country I know my primary insurance will not be accepted and will have to prepay but will be reimbursed by filing a foreign claim with my insurance company. I guess I have or had misconceptions of DAN insurance and also be prepared to pay in advance. I bet a lot of divers have the impression I did that DAN coordinates and pays for treatment.
DAN was working on it but not at the speed with which they desired. They were many hours away from a chamber no matter how you look at it. This had a lot of bad planning beyond their hopes and wishes.

DAN was working on it but not at the speed with which they desired. They were many hours away from a chamber no matter how you look at it. This had a lot of bad planning beyond their hopes and wishes.
Yeah, the whole thing could have been avoided if he just read the P-valve thread on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom