Is Dacor junk??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, Dacor was purchased by Mares I believe. They are slowly integrating their product lines I expect since both have that rediculous HUB. I have dove Mares regulators for years and they are not then or now JUNK. There are very few regs out there that are the equal of the Abyss or several other Mares units but parts and service have always been a problem with them for whatever reason. They have always had some nice stuff and some weird stuff. Right now I still like the Plana fins, the X-Vision mask, the Abyss and Proton regs for example. I have a few older Dacor pieces that have served well including a vintage horse collar BC and a great old Dacor mask. Back aways Dacor and USD were like the big names and ScubaPro was kinda like the Lexus of gear. Now I tend to pick and choose my stuff.

The rig I am working on putting together now for next years adventures---
Dive Rite or Halycon 30 lb wing w/stainless or al back plate.
Mares Abyss with Proton second
6 cf pony for my solo OW diving
Bare or O'neil suit--which ever is the thinnest and least bouyant
Dacor mini brass SPG or Halycon
Suntoo Stinger watch/computer
Tekna expanded scale analog depth guage to 240 feet (old but good)
Oceanic compass (old)or new ScubaPro mini compass
Mares X-vision mask
Mares Plana type fins--full foot--or (shhhhhhhh Force Fins---shhhhhhhhh)
Wenoka (old) dive knife on my backplate waist webbing
Heur dive watch (when needed for backup)

Am I retiring my old pile of gear--nope--I will continue to mix and match to suit the mission. My choices above are not intended as recommendations--just an example of being eclectic in choices--you don't have to buy a complete single brand outfit. Mix and match to suit your purpose and tastes.
I sometimes beach dive, sometimes kayak dive, sometimes dive from my own boat, sometimes go out on charter, sometimes visit exotic locales (when I am not poor--lol), sometimes dive solo, sometimes drift, sometimes deep, or wrecks or salt or fresh or---- my point is that no single set of gear can really do all that well so keep that in mind when choosing your equipment.

All time fav gear---
Mares MR12 and Tekna B2100 regs
Voit UDT Duckfeet fins and Skindiver fins
Old round masks such as no longer made. Believe it or not I had a mask from Montgomery Wards made of the softest black gum rubber and big round window with a tiny purge in the bottom of the glass and soft corrugated nose pocket with chrome brass ring and it was low volume fitting very close to the face---less than five dollars--lasted 30 plus years--till it got stepped on--I cried--I am having new glass cut for it.
N

Old round masks such as no longer made. Believe it or not I had a mask from Montgomery Wards made of the softest black gum rubber and big round window with a tiny purge in the bottom of the glass and soft corrugated nose pocket with chrome brass ring and it was low volume fitting very close to the face---less than five dollars--lasted 30 plus years--till it got stepped on--I cried--I am having new glass cut for it.
N

Actually I believe that a few ofthe old-style masks are still being made or at least sold. DiveInn carries TWO classic style oval masks--one is a Mares "Vedo", the other is the "Compensator" by Picasso, only $15. I think Aqualung still makes their old sideways-D-shaped single-lens mask as well. There's still a market, apparently. Some photographers esepcially favor them for diver-models.

cheers

Billy S.

However the idiots in connecticut who run the US distribution, should all be fired. They have no clue as to how to run a supply chain nor how to manage a dealer network.

KenH:
I am a newbie doing extensive research for equipment at various websites. I have read a great deal of comments here and other places, along with looking at prices of equipment at online dealers. I can't put my finger on one particular review, but is Dacor consider the Yugo of equipment, specifically BC's? Is this one brand that I should stay away from?

KenH
However the idiots in connecticut who run the US distribution, should all be fired. They have no clue as to how to run a supply chain nor how to manage a dealer network.

Always Breath:

Dude posted this exact same message, word for word, in another thread in a different section. He's in a real Dacor bashing mood today. :)

cheers

Billy S.

so after reading this thread, should i reconsider buying all mares gear? is the theory of dacor = mares = oops! true?

what i plan to get is:
mares vector bcd
mares mr-12 proton reg with proton octopus

is this a boo boo?

diver371:
so after reading this thread, should i reconsider buying all mares gear? is the theory of dacor = mares = oops! true?

what i plan to get is:
mares vector bcd

is this a boo boo?

You will be fine with that equipement. In the end, I really don't think the whole "brand" thing really matters if you stick with the larger manufacturers. It comes down to your personal preference and comfort levels with the equipement.

I have sold many DACOR and MARES regulators. They are easy to breath and dependable. I do agree though, that the people in connecticut who are responsible for the parts shortage should be shown the door. The negatives rumors about the products themselves. Are just that "RUMORS" mixed with some sour grapes.

diver371:

what i plan to get is:
mares vector bcd

is this a boo boo?

Nothing wrong with going with mares... Now, I'd tell you spend a few bucks more and get the V16 instead of the MR12... Night and day as far as dependability in the first stage.

And maybe I'd try to talk you into Zeagle for the BC...

But even if you stay where you're at... it's OK stuff.

Nemrod:
Hmmm, Dacor was purchased by Mares I believe. They are slowly integrating their product lines I expect since both have that rediculous HUB. I have dove Mares regulators for years and they are not then or now JUNK. There are very few regs out there that are the equal of the Abyss or several other Mares units but parts and service have always been a problem with them for whatever reason. They have always had some nice stuff and some weird stuff. Right now I still like the Plana fins, the X-Vision mask, the Abyss and Proton regs for example. I have a few older Dacor pieces that have served well including a vintage horse collar BC and a great old Dacor mask. Back aways Dacor and USD were like the big names and ScubaPro was kinda like the Lexus of gear. Now I tend to pick and choose my stuff.

The rig I am working on putting together now for next years adventures---
Dive Rite or Halycon 30 lb wing w/stainless or al back plate.
Mares Abyss with Proton second
6 cf pony for my solo OW diving
Bare or O'neil suit--which ever is the thinnest and least bouyant
Dacor mini brass SPG or Halycon
Suntoo Stinger watch/computer
Tekna expanded scale analog depth guage to 240 feet (old but good)
Oceanic compass (old)or new ScubaPro mini compass
Mares X-vision mask
Mares Plana type fins--full foot--or (shhhhhhhh Force Fins---shhhhhhhhh)
Wenoka (old) dive knife on my backplate waist webbing
Heur dive watch (when needed for backup)

Am I retiring my old pile of gear--nope--I will continue to mix and match to suit the mission. My choices above are not intended as recommendations--just an example of being eclectic in choices--you don't have to buy a complete single brand outfit. Mix and match to suit your purpose and tastes.
I sometimes beach dive, sometimes kayak dive, sometimes dive from my own boat, sometimes go out on charter, sometimes visit exotic locales (when I am not poor--lol), sometimes dive solo, sometimes drift, sometimes deep, or wrecks or salt or fresh or---- my point is that no single set of gear can really do all that well so keep that in mind when choosing your equipment.

All time fav gear---
Mares MR12 and Tekna B2100 regs
Voit UDT Duckfeet fins and Skindiver fins
N
I read your post with interest. First, good to find some one else who even knows what Duck Feet are. I have a set I bought 40 yrs ago and they are still usable. Cant say that about some of the stuff made today. I used a Dive Rite wing last season. While in Cozumel I had an inflation failure due to a slipped O ring in the dump valve on the inflator hose. Seas were about 2', I was tired and lugging a 100cf tank. Never again will I dive a wing with that kind of setup. I switched to OMS double 60 and and very content. OMS has just an elbow on the hose making it necessary to dump from the inflator or pull a string on the bottom, but the chances of failure are reduced. John

Back
Top Bottom