Is Dacor junk??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who posts without checking the date of the original post!:D

I guess the final word is YES ........ Dacor has gone under and parts are hard ( if not impossible) to find so purchasing any Dacor equipment in 2013 would be a bad choice unless you collect vintage equipment or need a good paper weight.

If it is junk, I havent noticed. I bought a cheapish Dacor BCD to use when travelling with the oh well if it lasts a couple of trips its ok attitude....13 countries and a couple of hundred dives later not a single problem. It stands up to really rough treatment from baggage handlers and has more than paid its purchase price back so if it falls to bits tommorow (and no sign of any wear and tear so I am assuming its not going to) so IMO it was worth the purchase price. I use that more than my ''at home'' bcd which cost twice the price.

I guess the final word is YES ........ Dacor has gone under and parts are hard ( if not impossible) to find so purchasing any Dacor equipment in 2013 would be a bad choice unless you collect vintage equipment or need a good paper weight.
WRONG
The final word is when it comes to regulators, NO Dacor is not junk! However it is OLD and seeing that the company has been gone for many years it is best that a new diver should buy gear made by a current manufacturer.

As for those that think it's junk you need to wake up! There was a Time not so long ago when the 2 market leaders and manufacturers of the BEST gear were Dacor and US Divers/Cousteau. Dacor were innovators and if it was not for the advances made by their engineers the great gear we have today would not be so great. Some of the best most reliable innovative gear that Mares produces is really stuff designed by those Dacor engineers 30 years ago and it is still a market leader and some is still regarded as being ahead of it's time. The failed HUB system is a great example. It's a great concept that just doesn't quite pull it off but it's close. The first HUB system was developed by Dacor and appeared back in the 1980's.

And to the fools I have read here trying to talk down Mares, get real! the only reason most of you don't own Mares is that you could not afford it. It is simple reliable and in many ways state of the art gear. It is high quality with equally high price tags it is expensive to maintain but as a reliable work horse or a once a year rec set up, it is equally useful and highly recommended.

Are we talking about the original Dacor, Sam Davisons' Dacor? Or something else, some third rate product line with the 'Dacor' name on it? Did some company buy the name and start stamping junky products with it?

Has the real Dacor been reincarnated, or is it all a big scam, the use of a once respected name by some con artists in Italy?

I have some real nice Dacor stuff, including a blue and white shirt I got from the Dacor production director during a catalog photo shoot in Jamaica in 1976. Everything Dacor I have was made in the 60s and 70s. I have a feeling that the real Dacor has been history for a long time. Only the name survives, to confuse the innocent.

My understanding is the once Sam passed away the company went down hill and was sold to Mares in 2004 or 2005, one step short of bankruptcy. Mares promptly discontinued parts support for older Dacor products, which upset a lot of people. I am not an expert on Dacor products but have been warned to stay away from them unless I know exactly what I am purchasing. The reason is Dacor produced a regulators with a wide variety of designs, some of which can use generic parts and some that can't. You need to know which is which. If you can't get the parts then it becomes a wall hanger.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 11:27 PM ----------

And to the fools I have read here trying to talk down Mares, get real! the only reason most of you don't own Mares is that you could not afford it. It is simple reliable and in many ways state of the art gear. It is high quality with equally high price tags it is expensive to maintain but as a reliable work horse or a once a year rec set up, it is equally useful and highly recommended.

Mares is no more expensive then Scubapro or Aqualung. However they do not have the number of dealers in the US that other brands have. Why would I want to purchase a regulator that is no better than other brands and can't be serviced locally? Also if you read older threads Mares admitted that there were problems in the US with support that they claimed to have corrected. Perhaps Mares was better run in Australia and thus has a better reputation there.

mares is junk ...for sure . If you looking on producers site forum .... first theme of all should be what there works at all ??

remember ( Computer , bcd weight belts , regulators ) they are not capable to develop and keep in production one good regulator except

MR12 1'st stage entry-level model period !

have several parts from them at start ...I'm glad I got rid of almost all ( they made fashion not scuba equipment )

mares is junk ...for sure .

Then you must be hard on gear. I've used the same Mares MR22 1st stage for 12 years and it works perfectly (without even being serviced regularly). I've never had a problem with it.

agree - abyss but original ( not these carbon , with plastic inserts everywhere ) with rubin 1'st stage ( big lump of brass ) was very good ...

BUT that was 12 years ago .

Interesting is also monitoring ebay : sales inquiry (they sell new for 450€ and resell for 100€ ) that show quality factor

Your status indicates you as a DIR practitioner, which makes me wonder if your "religious views" don't affect your objectivity.

Mares has made some really horrible gear (the HUB, for example) but they are one of the few manufacturers world wide whose whole line of gear is good to very good and imho there is nothing at all wrong with their regulators. There *may* be one or two regulators on the market better than Mares, but Mares, Aqualung and Scubapro all make gear for serious divers. Period.

Moreover, Mares did the diving community a huge favor by killing Dacor (speaking of junk) so what more do you want from them :D

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom