Is Cozumel Busy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there over Christmas for ten days, from what I heard, Hotel occupancy was down around 30% plus.

Yeah, we heard 25% over Thanksgiving week. But I would imagine it's growing now with Carnaval approaching. Perhaps some locals will chime in on this.....

I was down in late Dec/Jan and yes, comments were that things had really slowed down. Big vacancy rates in hotels and a general sense of "cutting back" and "hunkering down". Once person said they expected business would be about what it was like post-Wilma. Regardless, I ran into Canadians everywhere I went! Our desire to escape the cold exceeds our concerns about the economy!

Those hotel occupancy rates include the big AI resorts which probably are down. However, all of the hotels I work with have been staying pretty full.

Carnival dates are booked up for all of the downtown hotels and have been for quite some time. Casa Mexicana had a few city view rooms left as of late last week, but that could have changed over the weekend. I also just got a full notice from Casa Mexicana for early February, and some March dates as well!

Glad we booked early for Carnival, should a great time to get together with other SB people

Well I remember reading the articles from the Por Esto paper the last few weeks and here is what the stats were:

Hotel Occupancy

Dec 31 85.98%
Jan 4 72.47%
Jan 6 58.22%
Jan 8 49.40%
Jan 9 48.54%
Jan 13 50.41%
Jan 16 49.39%
Jan 23 55.44%

So not too good....
I also read an article that the cruisers were down about 14% from last year.

over on the cozumel discussion board, one of the expats said that it feels like the old days before gringos del barco. she walked through the sq one eve and it was almost deserted. my fav dive shop tells me they have not seen any drop in business.

On our recent Jan trip we noticed the restaurants were not as busy as they were our last trip.

Just to re-up this thread and keep it alive, what's everyone's take on business in Cozumel due to the economic downturn? Busy? Dead? Medium?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom