Is Cozumel a dive destination or a tourist destination with diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My LDS is offering a very good deal for a dive and stay package in Cozumel in mid January. I did some research and the more I read the more double minded I get. The price is very tempting and so are the topside attractions like Mayan history etc. But I was wondering if someone could give an input as to where Cozumel would rank in terms of diving alone!

If I die without diving Cozumel have I really missed out on something marvelous that this planet had to offer?

Thanks in advance ...

Here's my take on Cozumel diving (and I'm sure some of the Cozumel habitues will come dispute it):

The visibility is phenomenal. I don't think I've ever dived in clearer water.

The topography of the reefs is great fun. Lots of small canyons to thread, and arches to swim through.

There is a fair amount of color, in terms of sponges and coral, but it's not breathtaking. There is quite a variety of reef fish, but not in huge numbers. Night diving was really the most fun, as we saw quite a few nocturnal species, as well as a number of octopuses.

I thought it was definitely a reasonable place to go for a dive vacation. The diving is better, in my opinion, than what we've done in the Hawaiian Islands, or in most of the South Pacific, but not as good as Australia or Indonesia. The infrastructure for diving is extremely well-developed, and having the city at hand means lots of options for shopping and meals (and we found some EXTREMELY good food, once we got off the waterfront).

If you haven't been there before, and you have a good deal on a trip, I'd say go. But take one day and do the cenotes on the mainland :)

Here's my take on Cozumel diving (and I'm sure some of the Cozumel habitues will come dispute it):

The visibility is phenomenal. I don't think I've ever dived in clearer water.

The topography of the reefs is great fun. Lots of small canyons to thread, and arches to swim through.

There is a fair amount of color, in terms of sponges and coral, but it's not breathtaking. There is quite a variety of reef fish, but not in huge numbers. Night diving was really the most fun, as we saw quite a few nocturnal species, as well as a number of octopuses.

I thought it was definitely a reasonable place to go for a dive vacation. The diving is better, in my opinion, than what we've done in the Hawaiian Islands, or in most of the South Pacific, but not as good as Australia or Indonesia. The infrastructure for diving is extremely well-developed, and having the city at hand means lots of options for shopping and meals (and we found some EXTREMELY good food, once we got off the waterfront).

If you haven't been there before, and you have a good deal on a trip, I'd say go. But take one day and do the cenotes on the mainland :)

It may not be a "bucket list" item, but it's good diving. After all, it is part of the largest barrier reef in the Northern Hemisphere and the second largest in the world. There are some striking, large coral formations at Columbia Deep. There are lots of coral fingers and swim thru’s. It is all drift diving and there can be some significant current to deal with, be prepared. If you can visit the mainland for a couple of cenote dives and a visit to Tulum.

I would go again and Dive with "Scuba with Alison."

Rick

Lots of divers, great visibility, easy to get to, nice for beginners. However, the first time I went diving in the Western Pacific many years ago marked the the last time I had any interest in diving the Caribbean.

Dive Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, Solomons, Vanuatu, and you'll think of Caribbean diving like you would quarry diving.

The Yucatan cenotes and cave systems are well worth doing though, but be certified.

It's a nice dive destination with too many cruise boats but those people are usually easy enough to avoid. The Mayan ruins aren't much compared to those on the peninsula but there are some other non-diving point of interests; I just haven't gotten to them as many Coz trips as I've done. See Cozumel - ScubaBoard

Dive destination---but---be careful @ that time of year, US cold fronts can knock you out of days of diving(harbor closed) UNLESS you dive with Aldora divers-----they keep 2 boats on the East side for some great diving when the other thousand(s) of divers on CZM are sitting @ their hotel rooms twiddly their fins....trust me on that one............

We go to Cozumel to dive 2-3 trips a year. We have dove most of the dive destinations in the Caribbean and always come back to Cozumel. In addition to great diving there is great food, beautiful beaches and great local people. For us living on the east coast, it is easy to get to and affordable. We have not been able to travel to the Pacific to dive, hope to someday. Its just not possible with limited travel time at this point in our lives. I would like to think that I would never become such a dive snob that Cozumel or the Caribbean would not be worth our time!

Dive Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, Solomons, Vanuatu, and you'll think of Caribbean diving like you would quarry diving.

How's the weather up on Snob Hill these days Richard Withears?:banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom