Is AOW a required prerequisite to do a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@wstorms, I downloaded a training program that I followed to expand my SSI/Padi/Naui conducted training. I'm sure you've seen training programs you can buy online. Top experts in sports often create them: '8 weeks to better 440 times', '90 days to better triathlon times'.

I completed this training program. It stepped me through exercises and reflection pre, during and post dive for increasing depths. As things went well at each depth, I progressed to considering the next depth, if desired. All within recreational limits.

Do you feel Padi restricts you from honoring the depths of my additional training? As a Padi professional serving as a DM for a guided dive not engaged in instruction.

Any additional restrictions you personally impose is your own choice. Which you are free to do as any of us are. As are countries, localities, insurers and dive ops.

(This is hypothetical me. Expanding on a point by Zef.)

And, as Boulder John clearly seems to have corresponded extensively with Padi, I take his word on Padi's intent being the expansive combination of training and experience, and Padi's intent to make that clearer.

If, in fact, the agencies agreed with your point of view, they would be issuing a warning that training limits are to be treated as actual limits by agency professionals. Then start suspending and revoking credentials for violating standards. Perhaps you should be more active in your agency's operation and have them change their policies.
Hah! Much easier to rant on an internet forum, even though apparently only one or two other contributors seems to agree.

PADI OW course does not certify one to dive to a recommended limit of 60'.

PADI OW course certifies divers to dive within recreation limits.

The expectation is that you as the diver will exercise your prudent judgement with regard to how you dive once certified.

If your judgement deems that you should take further formal training, then do that.

If your judgement deems that your experience is best grown under the supervision of a pro, then do that.

If your judgment deems that you will keep yourself within a certain depth range, then do that.

If your judgement is to evluate the prevailing conditions of the environment you wish to dive in and reflect on your skill set, and then decide you can execute a dive safely, then do that.

The bottom line is that how you proceed once certified is up to you in your judgement, it is up to you to decide how much risk you are willing to accept, and it is up to you to decide whether your skill and knowledge are adequate to mitigate those risks.

-Z
Good points. We agree. Your list adds detail to what I said-- "do logical, not dumb things".
wstorms quotes PADI's info. on depths and conditions you should be diving in right after OW cert. Unless you want to get really into semantics, this is what I've always thought. If you want to cross out my use of "certifies you to"..... OK.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom