Is AOW a required prerequisite to do a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vespers_

Registered
Reaction score
I have the Adventure Diver and Rescue Diver certs. I would like to do a divemaster course but I'm unclear on whether or not AOW is actually required to do it. The PADI website only lists Rescue as a prerequisite but many dive shops seem to want AOW.

According to PADI

Dive Master
Course Prerequisites
Rescue Diver, 40 logged dives, CPR and First Aid certification within 24 months, medical clearance to dive.

Rescue Diver:
Course Prerequisites
Adventure Diver/Junior Adventure Diver (or qualifying certification) with completed Underwater Navigation Dive; EFR Primary and Secondary Care training (or qualifying training) within 24 months

So no, it looks like according to standards, you do not need Advanced Open Water Certification. However, I bet a Buffalo Nickle that most seasoned OWSI and MSDT's will want you to have that AOW cert. On the other hand, I'm going to ask this—what is your motivation to "Go Pro"?

If it is to teach and be employed as a Professional Diver with active liability insurance, then, by all means, go forth and do great things. If it is the next level of instruction you are after to become a better diver—skip it.

In that case, find the nearest seasoned GUE instructor and do the Fundamentals Course. That course will broaden your experience and technique to become a well-rounded diver. After you complete that and still want to be a DM, go ahead and go forth and do great things. Heck, you will probably have better buoyancy and situational awareness than most of your classmates as a fundies grad.

You would benefit more from an AOW course of instruction than you would from a divemaster program.....notice how I wrote that....divemaster is less a course of instruction than a program to ensure one is qualified to hold the professional-level certification.

My strongest recommendation is to pick up AOW or advanced diver and then look into the NAUI Master Diver course of instruction. It was a great course, and when you come out on the other side of it you are endowed with a certification that does not increase your personal liability the way Divemaster does (whether you carry insurance or not).

-Z

The NAUI master dive course does not require rescue while both the PADI master diver and divemaster courses do.

Padi aow is not required for rescue as many places do not have ready access to dive locations deeper than the 60 feet required for the deep dive in the padi aow course.

For divemaster skill 5, a deep diver certification or a deep dive with skills is required in the course of padi divemaster.

Thanks for the help guys.

My reason for doing a DM is because I have an opportunity to do a free internship in Raja Ampat with unlimited diving and accomodation/food provided. It's a chance to squeeze in a ton of dives and dip my toe into diving jobs to see if i like it.

I'm not a new diver trying to jump right into a DM. I've been diving in Canada for over a decade and have many times the minimum 40 dives. I've simply never needed to get any other certs because I've never gone with organized groups (I own my own boat and gear). Resort diving with a guide is far less prevalent here than it is in tropical destinations... You just get your tank filled and go.

I'm traveling down south a lot now and am finding I'm limited by my certification level despite having far more experience than many others that have more certs.

My reason for doing a DM is because I have an opportunity to do a free internship in Raja Ampat with unlimited diving and accomodation/food provided. It's a chance to squeeze in a ton of dives and dip my toe into diving jobs to see if i like it.
If that is the plan, don't worry about whether or not they will require AOW. If they decide you need AOW, they will take care of it the morning you start. You need a whopping two dives.

Yeah, seems pretty straight forward. The 2 dives you need probably would cost almost the same if you just paid for 2 dives without it being part of the AOW course. There may be the really odd boat that wouldn't let you dive below 60' without AOW, even with your Rescue. Who knows, and why (liability?).
If it were me, I'd stay away from the deal you may be offered to do the DM internship just to get in a lot of dives. I read that some of these places require a big commitment to work-- other duties than just learning DM stuff. But, I'm sure you've looked into that.
You are experienced, so I won't bore you with a lot about the DM course. The only real use it is for someone who doesn't want to be an active DM afterwords is that you really have to polish your 24 or so basic skills to demonstration level. That will improve your ability to dive safer yourself, I suppose.
I read that the NAUI Master Diver course is very good with all the theory of the PADI DM course without the teaching aspect. But you may not be interested in all that physics, physiology and other stuff.

how is padi aow only take 2 dives ?

oh missed that

Back
Top Bottom