Is anyone using a bp/w setup with short tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have Halcyon Infinity systems for our rental line and when we have small kids, we have no problem using Alum 63's, infact my daughter dives basic Halcyon Eclipse system with that setup as well. We have also used them with HP80's. So, as you can see, that is not correct, you can use smaller tanks with BP&W's.

My only suggestion would be to try the shorter tanks with an aluminum plate as the HP80's are negative. I used to use my one HP 80 with a steel plate and it tended to be a bit head heavy. Moving the wing up helped some but what really did it was switching that set up to a BPW with an aluminum plate. I'm short anyway and didn't have the leg length to trim out the short 80's with a SS plate.

Please excuse the various measurements and conversions used - I'm from New Zealand.
I do around 70 shore dives a year and for these I use Faber 10 liter steel tanks which make a huge difference to my level of comfort and enjoyment in diving, not to mention the safety of my camera as I was always tripping and falling while entering and exiting in tall aluminum tanks. I think in the US the equivalent is called a HP80, anyway they are 24 inches from the top of the valve to the bottom of the boot. I have no interest in changing tanks.
Anyway I'd like to get a change from a jacket BCD to a backplate and wing setup but the first manufacturer I contacted told me this is not going to work with my choice of tank. I was going to give up and stick with my jacket until I realized that I have one friend who has been diving with Faber dumpy 12s (also 24 inches) and a Halcyon wing for around 18 months without incident and my instructor uses short aluminum tanks (AL63s???) and has had a Halcyon wing for around 3 months.
Is there anyone else out there who is using a bp/w (any brand) and short tanks? Any incidents with wing flats so far?
I should mention that our water is cold, I use a drysuit, and I'd need a wing in the 26lb to 30lb range.

If anyone, particularly any man, out there feels the need to respond suggesting I change tanks then please don't bother.

General,

Here's an old SB thread you might find helpful: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...-systems/375610-wing-hp-80-a.html#post5805651.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Hey everybody thanks for this, O for awesome as we say in New Zealand!
I think I've got enough evidence here to proceed, now I just need to decide what to get and where to get it. Locally I can only get Halcyon but the cost makes me feel a bit queasy (there may be a chap importing Hog gear and selling it online I need to check this out). Or I could take advantage of the greater choice and lower cost and get set up while I'm in California on holiday in April.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

General,

Here's an old SB thread you might find helpful: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...-systems/375610-wing-hp-80-a.html#post5805651.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Hi rx7diver
That link was useful - and entertaining! Cheers.

...Or I could take advantage of the greater choice and lower cost and get set up while I'm in California on holiday in April.

That sounds like a good way to go. Do some research on different rigs and prices before you go so you have a good idea of what you want and don't want. You can probably see on the Cali dive shops websites what they have and check if they have them in stock closer to the time.

Halcyon is awesome, but it is pricey. I have the Halcyon Infinity, which I love, and got a good deal on it. If you are shorter to average height, you will probably want a small backplate, which is shorter. Deep Sea Supply makes a very short bp, Halcyon was slightly longer (1 or 1 1/2 inches), and most have small bp's around the same size. Have fun shopping!

I've been using HP80 (short little tank) with halcyon Infinity bcd for a few years now (30lb eclipse wing and for past year a Halcyon short plate).. I have had zero issues with wear/pinching/etc.. on the bottom of the wing with the short 80 for singles, HP102's (shorter than AL80's) with a 40lb evolve wing for doubles or on a cave-can megalodon CCR (aka a short can) with the 30lb eclipse. I love the donut for how it dumps gas without having to noodle around and shift gas side to side when using the butt dump, and can't imagine going back to a horseshoe. Its just a personal preference thing, I've dove horseshoe style on all of those tanks as well, and for sure prefer the donut.

Thanks Laura. It's looking like Halcyon is going to be the kit I end up with. I'm also planning to pick up a she-p when I'm in LA in a few weeks, the days of the dry-suit dance are numbered.

I consistently dive aluminum 63's with my back plate and wing set up. I have a small size oxycheq plate and 18# wing. I find it is way easier to keep the tank off the back of my head when I use a 63 versus a 80 and I normally have more air than my buddies diving 80's.
I'd figure that a similar set up would work just fine for you if you got a slightly larger wing

I've been diving the HP80 and a DSS 30lb wing with 4lb steel plate. A bit heavy for the tropical waters, but would rather suffer the extra weight than go to aluminum or a jacket. Yes, i am looking for theDSS Kydex plate, but so far haven't found a deal. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom